Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85D (L or not)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really can’t. In my experience very few (none?) of the P85Ds list Ludicrous, mine didn’t. I suspect they list the features that were equip when the car was sold. Since this would have been an add on it isn’t listed. Mine also didn’t list dual chargers, I suspect for the same reason. Getting pictures is about the only way you can tell.

Reactions: whitex
You really can’t. In my experience very few (none?) of the P85Ds list Ludicrous, mine didn’t. I suspect they list the features that were equip when the car was sold. Since this would have been an add on it isn’t listed. Mine also didn’t list dual chargers, I suspect for the same reason. Getting pictures is about the only way you can tell.

This is pretty much spot on.

Tesla should be able to tell you if any P85Ds have Ludicrous, but as mentioned above, very few actually do.

he prices seem crazy low to me although I know condition cosmetically may be an issue.

Not sure why you think crazy low.

1) They're asking 50% of what they were new after you factor in the >$10K in rebates when they were sold.
2) 50% after 4 years is a very good residual.
3) As many have discovered, Tesla no longer does any conditioning on CPO cars and they are often in pretty bad shape.

If they included actual photos, you'd be able to spot the L models by looking to see if the chrome underbar is below the P85D badge.

CORRECTION: when I change the zip to my zip code for the bay area, the P85Ds listed here are 50% of hte new price BEFORE the rebates after 4 years.

If they included actual photos, you'd be able to spot the L models by looking to see if the chrome underbar is below the P85D badge.
You should clarify that by badge you mean the one displayed on the instrument cluster or the About screen, not the back of the car which can be faked, or some people who did the upgrade never applied the underline, or the car has no badges at all (like all of our Teslas since day 1).

You should clarify that by badge you mean the one displayed on the instrument cluster or the About screen, not the back of the car which can be faked, or some people who did the upgrade never applied the underline, or the car has no badges at all (like all of our Teslas since day 1).

Nope. I mean the one on the back. Could be faked but the point is that if you see one with the badge on the back you can call and verify that it really is upgraded to Ludicrous.

Additionally, since these are sold by Tesla, I think it would be a monumental oversight to sell a Ludicrous badged car if it wasn't Ludicrous.

Nope. I mean the one on the back. Could be faked but the point is that if you see one with the badge on the back you can call and verify that it really is upgraded to Ludicrous.

Additionally, since these are sold by Tesla, I think it would be a monumental oversight to sell a Ludicrous badged car if it wasn't Ludicrous.
No reconditioning means they could leave whatever badge is there. Even if they were to change it, often CPO pictures are taken before anyone does any reconditioning - people have even reported CPO pictures of cars with flat/damaged tires, which were obviously replaced before the car was sold.

Btw, here are the backs of my first 2 Teslas, one of them has ludicrous, can you tell which (there is a way to tell, very subtle and only because I told you that one of them does).
Teslas1&2.png

No reconditioning means they could leave whatever badge is there. Even if they were to change it, often CPO pictures are taken before anyone does any reconditioning - people have even reported CPO pictures of cars with flat/damaged tires, which were obviously replaced before the car was sold.

Btw, here are the backs of my first 2 Teslas, one of them has ludicrous, can you tell which (there is a way to tell, very subtle and only because I told you that one of them does).
View attachment 367686

That's why I'm suggesting it only as guide for which cars he can specifically ask for. Doesn't matter.

That said, they damn better remove a fake badge before they take pictures and advertise the car with a feature it doesn't have.

That's why I'm suggesting it only as guide for which cars he can specifically ask for. Doesn't matter.

That said, they damn better remove a fake badge before they take pictures and advertise the car with a feature it doesn't have.
I don't think Tesla advertises any P85D's with Ludicrous at all anymore, so no danger there. If they have an AP1 car advertised as AP1 car, but the previous owner replaced the side marker lights with AP2 version with cameras and you spot that in the CPO pictures, it doesn't mean Tesla is advertising the car as AP2. CPO pictures vary in quality, as I mentioned before, some have reported pictures with damages tires and wheels, so an incorrect badge is not out of the question.

That said, fake badges is probably less of a problem than ludicrous cars without the underline on the back or no badge at all. If on the other hand you pay attention to the badge on the instrument cluster or about screen as I suggested, seeing an underline there is a safe bet the car has ludicrous, and not seeing it pretty much means it doesn't have it - it is a lot more reliable than the rear badge.

I don't think Tesla advertises any P85D's with Ludicrous at all anymore, so no danger there. If they have an AP1 car advertised as AP1 car, but the previous owner replaced the side marker lights with AP2 version with cameras and you spot that in the CPO pictures, it doesn't mean Tesla is advertising the car as AP2. CPO pictures vary in quality, as I mentioned before, some have reported pictures with damages tires and wheels, so an incorrect badge is not out of the question.

That said, fake badges is probably less of a problem than ludicrous cars without the underline on the back or no badge at all. If on the other hand you pay attention to the badge on the instrument cluster or about screen as I suggested, seeing an underline there is a safe bet the car has ludicrous, and not seeing it pretty much means it doesn't have it - it is a lot more reliable than the rear badge.

Almost none of the cars I looked at had display screens turned on for CPO pictures, and wasn't given opportunity to inspect without scheduling delivery. The Tesla spec sheet and sales contract did not include ludicrous. Short of showing up to pick up the car not sure how would have verified. The DS and sales associate certainly didn't know. Presumably this means resale value of ludicrous ~ 0

Almost none of the cars I looked at had display screens turned on for CPO pictures, and wasn't given opportunity to inspect without scheduling delivery. The Tesla spec sheet and sales contract did not include ludicrous. Short of showing up to pick up the car not sure how would have verified. The DS and sales associate certainly didn't know. Presumably this means resale value of ludicrous ~ 0
Or, maybe the sales strategy is "buying a Tesla is like a bag of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get" - it would explain the poor pictures and features (not just ludicrous) communication. Maybe giving people hope they'll get one in great shape, with all the features they want (even though it wasn't advertised as such) is a more effective sales strategy than full transparency? You know, akin to loot boxes, be it very expensive ones, but with some guarantee of the prize.

Last edited:
Reactions: SV2SV