Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85D or new 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am coming from a 2016 C63S AMG (currently awaiting a lease swap) and am ready to move over to my first EV. Performance is very important to me, and its what drew me to the P85D.

For those that have come from other performance vehicles, would I be happy with the performance of the 70D or would I be better off with the P85D?

The main appeal of the 70D for me is getting an exact spec that I like, better build quality, and the new design / face.

This is the P85D I am looking at btw: http://www.siennamotors.com/inventory-details/2015/Tesla/Model%20S/5YJSA...

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts!

Reactions: Anssi
Thank you all for the input. I do use my C63S AMG at the limit. I regularly attend road rallies and have "allegedly" ran the car up to it's limited speed of 180mph...in Mexico of course.

I drive in a very spirited manner and want to make sure the 70D won't be a downgrade from the AMG. Definitely mention your previous cars owned, as everyone's point of reference for what a "fast car" is relative.

Would very much like to hear from those who have owned other exotic / performance cars!

Hi all,

I am coming from a 2016 C63S AMG (currently awaiting a lease swap) and am ready to move over to my first EV. Performance is very important to me, and its what drew me to the P85D.

For those that have come from other performance vehicles, would I be happy with the performance of the 70D or would I be better off with the P85D?

The main appeal of the 70D for me is getting an exact spec that I like, better build quality, and the new design / face.

This is the P85D I am looking at btw: http://www.siennamotors.com/inventory-details/2015/Tesla/Model%20S/5YJSA...

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts!

I was in similar situation. I went with a S75d due to reliability and looks (compliments daily...)....not that it is a slouch. However, I do miss the performance....everyday! If I had to do it again...p85d which comes with 4/8yr warranty anyways. If your a performance guy...the newer 75d (0-60 in 4.2) might do it for you....as you'll get consistent #s as opposed to spinning/shifting etc on other fast ICE cars. But 0-60 etc in low 3s. Can't beat that!

The 75D is very good from a stop or low speeds and the instant power is hard to come close to in other cars. For overtaking and quick jaunts, it's amazing. At what would be considered "top end" the 75D is not as impressive however. My other car is a Buick Grand National and while the 75D is faster off the line, it does not pull as hard after 60mph. I absolutely love driving my 75D but if I want top end power I go with the Buick. I can't speak to how well the P85D does top end.

Since you are used to performance cars, you may need to compare a P to a non P and see if you ‘need’ the difference. Some do, some don’t. I’d see if your local SC could oblige once you tell them what you’re looking for. Or if it’s an exact inventory car since looks like you aren’t ordering new, perhaps trying out that.

Reactions: Scoopa
I have a S90D and while driving today, a Mercedes AMG comes up next to me at a traffic light. I couldn't get a look at the driver with the dark tint. I'm not the guy who'll provoke people to race off the line but I will take up the challenge if the other person dares me and wants to be disappointed. I looked past the red light only to realize there was another red light less than a block away so, I didn't think he was interested in seeing who'd win in this short distance. He then decided to hit the gas when the light turned green and raced off the line.

I coasted to a stop at the next light next to him and smiled, thinking it's on now with long stretch of road ahead of us. Even without performance or ludicrous options, I knew I could beat him easily. I was disappointed when he turned right at the intersection. It's too bad he got away since he was badly in need of a lesson. I don't understand why people look at a Tesla and get cocky thinking that their ICE cars are able to beat it.

So yeah, both P85D or 75D are plenty fast and you'll be happy with either one. Just don't make the mistake of challenging one off the line with your C63s AMG. Come to think of it, that wasn't you today, was it? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: skitown
I had the same reaction, but that P85D does still have a (unlimited mileage) warranty through 2021 with Tesla.

That's not a thing, unless you're talking about the battery and motor warranty, still there are restrictions. Remember once the 4 year new warranty is up, you're on your own with no option to extend.

Just fyi, a common failure after a few years is the MCU, and that's 3500 right there.

If you're really into performance, be aware that P85Ds with a build date before May, 2015 likely have the Performance Plus suspension from the P85+. This is a firmer sport sedan suspension most like a BMW M5. All other Tesla models have a mush-mobile suspension.

See this thread for details: Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

I had the same reaction, but that P85D does still have a (unlimited mileage) warranty through 2021 with Tesla.

Just the battery and motor.