Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85D v performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
another poster challeneged my thoughts regarding a CPO 2015 P85D by suggesting a Model 3 Performance might be a good alternative. I brushed that off, but it did get me thinking if he was on to something.

My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months so we will have some stuff to cart around. We would be trading in my beloved pickup truck, and my drive to work is about 30 miles round trip.

The model S seemed to fit the bill as it was sporty, large, lots of storage, and safe. The performance model 3 comes in at almost the exact price as the 2015 cpo P85D, so I think I am a bit stuck in my thinking. I feel like AP1 would be good enough for me, but I suspect the resale of a CPO after a few years (and as the unlimited warranty of the battery nears expiration) will be virtually nil.

What advice would you have for me and my soon growing family?

Reactions: jbcarioca
My wife and I bought an s85 shortly after our first child arrived and we love it. I have driven a 3 as well and though it's nice and the efficiency is great, we need all the room the S has to offer. The hatchback design is much more useful for carrying stroller + pack and play + changing pad etc etc

PS Congrats on your new baby(s)

Last edited:
Reactions: WISluggo
Get an X ..easier when putting kids in car seats ...more storage ..the M P3...won’t have the space and without hatch back harder to put things in trunk...the M3 is great car if single but for fam ...just doesn’t have space

CPO P85D will have already lost its value before you buy it so it will hold it's value better than a 3. And $65K+ for a Model 3 no thank you. And it seems like a lot of people don't like the 3 after they get it. There's so many for sale right now on craigslist.

It's all personal preference but I would never pay that much for that small of a car.

As for space, once again the winner is the S.

Last edited:
..agree with what @Plan B said but it’s 80k for M P3 :( loaded up ...no way :eek:...you will soon see P100s off lease and P90s...for resell value no car is good they will all have depreciation in the 40-50% range in few years ...AP1 to latest AP2.5 not much difference ..not sure when AP 2.x will live up to hype ...in most general driving scenarios AP1 is great... there is a thread here about how much you can carry in an S ...it’s amazing the space ...but overall it’s the looks ! Can’t beat the S !:oops:

Reactions: Mickie
YIKES!....there is no way I would ever pay that much for a car that small.

Totally agree ..here is a fine example of S P85D 2014 TESLA MODEL S P85D CPO

I have been reading config threads for PM3 and when you get the “essential” packages it’s still substantial even with tax credit the P85D is still better value and better looking !

Reactions: MarkKW and Mickie
The S is already past its depreciation curve. You'll realize a lot more depreciation, in short order, on the new 3 compounded by possibly only receiving a partial fed credit of the original $7,500, depending on when you buy/ take delivery.

You'll also appreciate the extra space of an S, the possibility of rear facing seats if you want, and in total the more upscale car. This versus less space of the 3 and an inferior trunk opposed to the S's glorious hatch.

Grab an ESA on the S and you're good until 2023.

AP2? Meh. Like you said, AP1 will suit your needs just fine, as it does mine. I'm not holding my breath for L5 FSD anytime soon.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
It depends on your needs/values. The Model 3 is much more efficient and much easier to park and charges faster on trips. For 3 even 4 people it has plenty of space. But if you want a large car the Model S is great.

The 3 also has nice touches like rear USB ports, cup holders, better storage, coat hooks etc.

Reactions: MarkS22
Model 3 has these advantages:
1. Model 3 has much longer range. People report range of used 85s at about 235 miles, while model 3 has 315 mile range.
2. You could get the AWD Model 3 instead of perf to save on money.
3. Performance of Model 3 might be improved over time with OTA. Perhaps Tesla is still under selling it.
4. Only Model 3 has FSD which will get improved over time. When you don't get enough sleep because of your baby, that will be very helpful.
5. Model 3 warranty will outlast P85D
6. Model 3 cost less to charge because it is more efficient by 25%.
7. Model 3 touch screen is faster.
8. Insurance maybe cheaper with Model 3.
9. Model 3 is better setup to support improvements in super charger speed rates. Already faster too.
10. Model 3 door handles are expected to be more reliable although less luxurious.

Used Model S P85D has these advantages
1. Lower price than performance Model 3.
2. Much bigger
3. Theory in this thread is that it will depreciate slower. I'm not so sure if you chose one of the lower trim Model 3s. With the $7,500 rebate running out, will be interesting what that does to prices. If Elon does pull a rabbit out of his hat and FSD works, that will increase the value of Model 3s significantly.
4. Optional third row seats.
5. Free unlimited supercharging.
6. Heated steering wheel

More details here:
Model 3 vs Model S

Last edited: