Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85D - What Should I Make Sure to Inspect Prior to Accepting Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, thanks to the posters here for all the useful information I've read in preparation for purchasing a used MS from Tesla. I finally pulled the trigger and paid the $1k deposit on a used 2015 P85D.

Here are some details on the vehicle:
  • 2015 P85D produced May '15
  • Price - $66,900 (financed through Alliant for 84 months @ 5.24%)
  • Mileage - 38k approx.
  • Lease return received by Tesla last Tuesday, 5/29
  • Clean CarFax
  • Options according to Monroney sticker (non-exhaustive list)
    • AP 1
    • Air Suspension
    • Ultra HiFi Sound
    • Premium interior
    • Next gen seats
    • Pano/Sunroof
    • Carbon fiber spoiler
    • 19" cyclone wheels
  • Aesthetics
    • Pearl white exterior
    • Grey seats
    • White headliner
    • Piano black interior
    • Minor scuff marks on right front bumper (link to pic)
  • Service history
    • Annual service 2x
    • Rear tires replaced
    • Center console upgrade
    • LTE upgrade
Mohamed, my sales advisor, said to expect delivery within a week. Overall, he's been patient with all my questions, but his initial response times when we first began working together (about the third week of April) and I was in the research phase of this process could have been better. Response improved this past week once I lined up financing and expressed more urgency/seriousness about pulling the trigger.

Dropbox link for all the pictures provided:
Pictures

Please let me know whether:
  1. This is a good vehicle given the configuration/options;
  2. I got a good deal for the vehicle;
  3. You have any tips on what to pay particular attention to when inspecting the vehicle prior to delivery; and
  4. You have any specific questions I can attempt to answer on the purchase process.
I intend to continue updating this post as things progress in the process.

;)Kind of odd interior color for the exterior color ..I just turned in my P85D off lease the residual with same miles was around 77k if that helps. The P85D was the second Tesla I owned and is a solidly built car. There is a steering wheel bolt recall ..ask if that has been done. In 3 years or ownership I had no issues with P85D ..I wouldn’t worry to much you can try and ask to repair the scuff that doesn’t look like much work. Congrats on car !

Forgot to add a couple lessons learned in speaking with my sales advisor as well as reading the terms and conditions of the purchase agreement:
  • Tesla will not resell cars with
    • Battery degradation such that max range on full charge is below 10% of like new
    • Tire thread below 5/32"
  • Cosmetic issues will not be addressed. If I have a problem with a cosmetic issue and they don't agree to resolve it, then I can reject delivery.
  • I will not be able to test drive the vehicle prior to accepting delivery.
    • Ostensibly, this is because a test drive would only reveal drivability issues which would be covered under warranty anyway.
  • If I decide to reject delivery I can use my deposit toward the purchase of another vehicle but must do so within 3 days.
    • This is what the purchase agreement says but I imagine they would be willing to work with me on this, ie allow me a reasonable extension of time to identify another vehicle.
  • Prior to payment of deposit, I asked for and was provided with a written copy of the Monroney sticker and CarFax, as well as a sample copy of the terms and conditions of the purchase agreement and used vehicle warranty.
  • I asked for service history and sales advisor gave it to me, albeit orally rather than in writing.
  • The car will be detailed prior to delivery.
  • They will match the CarMax price of my trade in.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Any reason u went with this color combo ? I saw s few that potentially gave the “plus” suspension for reasonable price on EV cpo .. search “plus” suspension on forums

;)Kind of odd interior color for the exterior color ..I just turned in my P85D off lease the residual with same miles was around 77k if that helps. The P85D was the second Tesla I owned and is a solidly built car. There is a steering wheel bolt recall ..ask if that has been done. In 3 years or ownership I had no issues with P85D ..I wouldn’t worry to much you can try and ask to repair the scuff that doesn’t look like much work. Congrats on car !

Thanks for the residual value info - based on that, sounds like I got a fairly decent deal. Also, my sales advisor said that the steering wheel bolt recall work has been performed. I will see if they will do anything about that scuff on the bumper and post an update on the results.

I wanted a car with a light color interior rather than the black because I prefer the lighter interior. Plus I'm in SoCal and I wanted to reduce the amount of energy used keeping the interior cool since black interiors can get really hot here because the sun's always out. Yeah, I'm also a little concerned that the white headliner looks more tan than white and won't really match the grey seats but I'm hoping that's just a lighting issue with the pictures. If the headliner really is more tan than white, then I'll have to decide if I can live with it; if I can't then I'll just use my $1k deposit on a different vehicle.

As for the plus suspension, that feature isn't really that important to me. Honestly, I saw that this one had all the options I wanted, had decent mileage and was less than $67k and thought, "If not now, then when?" I could have spent an extra $6k to get the exact colors I prefer, but color aesthetics aren't worth that extra amount for me.

Was told today to expect the car to arrive this Tuesday and will be ready for pick up Wednesday or Thursday - fingers crossed!

Reactions: P85_DA
Yeah, I'm also a little concerned that the white headliner looks more tan than white and won't really match the grey seats but I'm hoping that's just a lighting issue with the pictures. If the headliner really is more tan than white, then I'll have to decide if I can live with it; if I can't then I'll just use my $1k deposit on a different vehicle.

Or another possibility, if you have budget and you like everything else about the car, is to see if a customs shop would be able to change the headliner to something you'd like better. (I have no idea how much that would cost, so this might be a really dumb idea.)

Bruce.

UPDATE

Got a call from someone at Tesla to let me know that the car was put on a truck today (Tuesday) and will begin traveling from San Jose down to San Diego. I had originally thought that it would only take a day at most to get here and I would be able to pick it up Thursday at the latest after they detail it. For some reason, I was told that I could MAYBE pick it up as early as Saturday, but there's a chance it won't be ready until Monday at the latest (delivery center is closed Sunday). That said, we tentatively scheduled pick up for this Saturday morning. Will post again with any further news.