Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P90D’s with ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just started looking at P90D’s for a future purchase in addition to P85D’s. Seems like an awful lot of them have ludicrous upgrade for less than I paid for my P85 three years ago. Seems ‘ludicrous’ to me, but thought some forum members out there might have their usual insightful thoughts on the matter.

There are some issues with the 90 packs that are probably depressing prices.

Most notably, the pack only gives about 81kWh. There are also stories of performance not matching Tesla specs and excessive battery degradation.

Looking at the current market, a P3D, 100D and P100D offer similar (if not better) acceleration, longer periods of aggressive driving, faster charging and longer range.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Where would you suggest I go to find proper information on my P 90 D ? It is in the service center now with 23,000 miles and having a battery swap due to a faulty controller in the battery. I have a 2018 75D loan car that seems faster then my P90D? Is this really possible? Also if the 90 is a "poor" or "bad" battery does anyone know if anything is being done by Tesla about the situation?
Thanks for any help!!

Where would you suggest I go to find proper information on my P 90 D ? It is in the service center now with 23,000 miles and having a battery swap due to a faulty controller in the battery. I have a 2018 75D loan car that seems faster then my P90D? Is this really possible? Also if the 90 is a "poor" or "bad" battery does anyone know if anything is being done by Tesla about the situation?
Thanks for any help!!
If the loaner 75d faster than your P 90 D there’m is surely something wrong with your car

Reactions: Ludalicious
Maybe not but I'm told my 90 battery is being replaced with the same?
Your 11/15 car most likely came with the Rev1 pack. Hopefully, and most likely, your 90 pack is being replaced with the Rev3 90 pack, which is a much better unit. If you have Ludicrous, you'll see a significant difference. Although, if you think the 75D feels faster to you, than you're going to feel an absolutely insane difference with the car fixed, let alone the Rev3 pack.

Certainly hope you're correct! I will ask what the replacement battery is. So far though, the service center "only knows it is a 90 battery like the one I have".
Hopefully they don't even have that battery (my original) anymore.
Heck for an original cost of $142,000 I would hope they would put the "3" in the car!!

Thanks to all that have replied!

The solution for you and the solution for Tesla are two different things.

They will give you a "new" 90 battery. They have stopped producing new 90 packs because they were trash.

Yikes, I would not call them trash. If you want to see trash, look at the earlier Nissan Leaf batteries.

I personally would buy an 85 car over a 90 pack UNLESS it is a Version 3.0 90 pack but 90 packs are not all bad and they do carry the 8 year warranty. I just don;t see the point in paying any price premium for a 90 pack car over an 85.

Reactions: CSFTN and JohnnyG
They just called and we are getting the 3rd generation 90 battery, refurbished. Warrantee is only for the rest of the original 8 year period.

I think tis is the best result base upon the information you have given me. Agree? Thanks for your help!
Yes that is best case scenario. I missed what year your car is, but if you have a V1 battery this should be a ~50kw upgrade which will be 60-70hp. If you battery wasn’t working right to begin with who knows how much of an upgrade this will feel like. You should be pleased with the results.