Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used panels from Tesla (Should I?)

Carlog

Feb 11, 2019
California
I've been offered a system from Tesla. It's a 10.4kW system consisting of 40x REC 260 panels. The panels are being sold as repurposed, but do have a 20 year warranty. The price is amazing at $13000 before tax incentives. I don't really care for dark blue/white panels, but it's a pretty good deal.

What do you think? Anything I should be aware of? Is it bad to go with 260W panels?

Thanks

Dan123

Jun 19, 2018
Miami
I've been offered a system from Tesla. It's a 10.4kW system consisting of 40x REC 260 panels. The panels are being sold as repurposed, but do have a 20 year warranty. The price is amazing at $13000 before tax incentives. I don't really care for dark blue/white panels, but it's a pretty good deal.

What do you think? Anything I should be aware of? Is it bad to go with 260W panels?

Thanks

The most expensive part of the solar panel is the racking installation and the electrical. Does $13000 include installation and inverter? If so, you are getting solar panels for free. I would go with it. Even if you have to replace some of the equipment later, it is still a very good deal.

Reactions: matt_net_zero

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
260 watt panels only matter if you want more power and you are space limited. Are you eligible for all incentives (e.g. federal tax credit)? Given you have a full warranty it sounds like a great deal.

Mike Swift

Apr 13, 2019
Scotts Valley, CA
At about $1.30 a Watt that is a super deal, take it. It would be hard to find a deal for less than $2.50 a Watt anywhere in the US. That would be an excellent price even in Australia where a good price is about $1.50 a Watt.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC