Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used prices for Powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A year ago a brand new pair of PW2 was $13000.

You need to determine:
  • Are these PW2 or some earlier release?
  • How is the ITC figured into this? May not be your problem but good to check if you have to be responsible for it
  • Any damage?
  • Useful life (this can be done via the API - search for technique)
  • Who is going to install it?
  • How will Tesla transfer ownership and support it? Like the cars, Tesla controls these things and you just cannot plug them in and have them work out of the box

A year ago a brand new pair of PW2 was $13000.

You need to determine:
  • Are these PW2 or some earlier release?
  • How is the ITC figured into this? May not be your problem but good to check if you have to be responsible for it
  • Any damage?
  • Useful life (this can be done via the API - search for technique)
  • Who is going to install it?
  • How will Tesla transfer ownership and support it? Like the cars, Tesla controls these things and you just cannot plug them in and have them work out of the box

I agree with @aesculus that the price is attractive compared to what these likely sold for new (assuming you get a Gateway as well). Beyond the price, It'll be tough to make this work.

Transferring Powerwall ownership is supposed to be easy if the Powerwalls themselves are just exchanging hands during the sale of a home. But transferring Powerwall ownership across properties seems like a giant mess.

I think to pull off something like this successfully will require roping in a 3rd party authorized Tesla Powerwall reseller. Someone that can help you to inspect them, install them, assign them to a new Gateway, and transfer ownership to your Tesla account. Unfortunately a lot of the functionality is locked behind tools/configs that the end user typically cannot access.

But if you ever do find yourself with some extra Powerwalls, you will let us know right? Asking for a friend.
What is interesting is where does one stop. I have 5, could have had 7. BUT, other than cost, its not "free"
more things to break. If you go over 5 I believe, it puts you into a different process with PGE from what I have seen?
This is why I keep saying, if you have money to burn. IMO, put as many panels on your roof as you can afford, even if
not the best angle. I have like 40% of mine facing north. IMO, folks spend too much time on this power going out. I have not
had my power go out from PGE stuff for what, 3 years. So ROI for power out, at least for me, is never