Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Prices/Valuations dipping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I mean it hasn’t sold.

So maybe not a great example?

The vehicle you posted also has the worthless FSD tax of $12K applied. Remove that, and it is a feasibly priced car. Again, not a great example.

Lol Tesla’s used car prices have remained fairly constant over the past month and sure enough cars just disappear at these prices from their site as I’m sure this one will if we give it a bit more than an hour or so. Tesla has no interest in being a used car dealership, they price to sell and they do sell their inventory quickly (just not instantly as you believe is required to prove a car’s worth)

And that’s not how it works with FSD, FSD doesn’t add or subtract 12k from the price in the used market. It roughly adds about 3k to the value if you’re lucky.

Lol Tesla’s used car prices have remained fairly constant over the past month and sure enough cars just disappear at these prices from their site as I’m sure this one will if we give it a bit more than an hour or so. Tesla has no interest in being a used car dealership, they price to sell and they do sell their inventory quickly (just not instantly as you believe is required to prove a car’s worth)

And that’s not how it works with FSD, FSD doesn’t add or subtract 12k from the price in the used market. It roughly adds about 3k to the value if you’re lucky.
Right. So exactly as I said, you provided a poor example.

I started a thread recently about the large amount of vehicles in inventory within 50 miles of me. Not Tesla inventory but available for sale. Over 300 Model 3 and 160 Model Y. Many of them have been sitting since early July. Auction used prices have been steadily dropping for the past month +. Will start showing up in retail prices very soon. These dealers trying to scalp these vehicles will likely be taking significant losses.

I still think Tesla will hold its value I just don't think you will get 10k above MSRP for a used vehicle with 30k anymore. Economic situation may cause a more severe dip in prices next year....hard to say for sure.

I started a thread recently about the large amount of vehicles in inventory within 50 miles of me. Not Tesla inventory but available for sale. Over 300 Model 3 and 160 Model Y. Many of them have been sitting since early July. Auction used prices have been steadily dropping for the past month +. Will start showing up in retail prices very soon. These dealers trying to scalp these vehicles will likely be taking significant losses.

I still think Tesla will hold its value I just don't think you will get 10k above MSRP for a used vehicle with 30k anymore. Economic situation may cause a more severe dip in prices next year....hard to say for sure.
guess its good i bought mine for 49,900

Reactions: 240vPlug
Things be crashing, get ready folks, Stocks, house prices(YAY), and used car prices. everything else will stay or go up tho, hope ya saved those covid checks
The stock market already crashed btw, a lot of tech stocks as much as 70-80% this year. The stock market sometimes predates the housing market by a year or two, so yes, get ready.
For the car prices I guess it's ICE that will see a collapse. Remember that we are in the middle of an intensifying transition to EV which would work against an EV slowdown. Even though its changing, it's still largely the richer population who drive EVs, many of whom don't care about mundane stuff like mortgages and jobs... They buy the car they want, when they want. Based on those factors, IMHO any drop in EV prices will be mild.

The stock market already crashed btw, a lot of tech stocks as much as 70-80% this year. The stock market sometimes predates the housing market by a year or two, so yes, get ready.
For the car prices I guess it's ICE that will see a collapse. Remember that we are in the middle of an intensifying transition to EV which would work against an EV slowdown. Even though its changing, it's still largely the richer population who drive EVs, many of whom don't care about mundane stuff like mortgages and jobs... They buy the car they want, when they want. Based on those factors, IMHO any drop in EV prices will be mild.
Funny that they telling people not to charge their cars with heatwave tho

The reckoning is here… down 30% from last month.
111150E4-6DCE-4C66-B3D5-59357EB8BF11.jpeg

Cargurus has a pretty decent price-trend tracker driven by all the listings they handle, which is a lot.

It's showing about a $2k drop in 2022 Model Y used prices from the peak a bit more than a month ago.

Yes, there might be some lag in their system, but I think it reflects overall price trends fairly well, with the obvious disclaimer that localized supply/demand situations will always exist.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 2.59.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 2.59.08 PM.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 53
I would try a local dealer. I just sold my Model 3 yesterday in anticipation of my upcoming Model Y delivery. Carvana gave me a shocking offer on my Model 3, prompting me to act very quickly. The best online offer I got was 5k+ higher than Carvana’s which appeased me a little. Then eventually a local dealer beat that offer by 1k. I took a risk and sold the car before I am to take delivery of the new car to avoid the risk of a price drop. I hope the delivery goes well or I’m gonna be car-less for a while…
The valuation drop in the last 3 months was staggering though. My Model 3 dropped by over 10%. The market is cooling down rapidly. If you’ve been looking to sell, better do it now than wait.