TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Used Purchase - Tesla disables FSD even if already purchased by previous owner?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mwy23, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Mwy23

Mwy23 Member

Hi all,

I was looking at a used MS and found one that I liked and reached out to Tesla to get a call-back. EV-CPO had listed the car as having FSD already on the car; used vehicle advisor ping’s car to confirm that FSD has been activated. I was skeptical because Tesla’s listing didn’t display FSD as an option, however EV-CPO did.

Anyways, I asked him to do some more research on the interior of the car and when he did, he came back and told me that even though the car current reports FSD, if I should buy the car, Tesla will remove FSD and force me to purchase it as an upgrade after the fact. Curious if anyone else has seen/heard/experienced this. Odd how Tesla will allow lifetime supercharging to follow a used car, but an already paid-for feature is removed so they can double-dip.

• Informative x 1
  2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Not necessarily double dipping (not that it would be anyway), the listed price may have been discounted due to the removal of FSD.

3. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Yeah no. It doesn't work like that. If it's been paid for at any point, the car has it. He had to have given you bad information. Secondly, lifetime Supercharging only follows the car if the lifetime supercharging is tied to the car. There is a lot of lifetime supercharging out there that is only tied to the first owner (changed Jan, 2017).

• Informative x 1
  4. Mwy23

Mwy23 Member

That’s what I thought (about FSD). Unfortunately, car sold before I could pull the trigger... thanks for the info!

5. Mwy23

Mwy23 Member

That is a good point. The sales advisor was surprised at the price considering fsd, but if they removed it to lower the price then, that also makes sense.

• Informative x 1
  6. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

People get options (wheels and fsd) removed from used cars. Occasionally new also.

7. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

But that's by their own request, right?

8. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Sure, but that shows once a car is configured with FSD, it does not necessarily always have it afterward. Did I misunderstand your post?.

9. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

If a car has FSD and is sold “private party” from one owner to another, or via non-Tesla used car dealer, then FSD remains with car. Tesla cannot take it away.

However, if Tesla takes car in trade and resells, they presumably gave owner fair price for FSD option, and therefore can remove for a lower and more attractive CPO price... betting new buyer will add it back on.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Lmurph2

Lmurph2 Member

Ahkhan, can you elaborate a bit more on the change from FSC attached the car, to the owner, which occurred in January 2017? I'm looking to purchase a used car that was delivered Jan 2017, Tesla employee says it will keep FSC but how can i be sure? Thx.

11. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Must be a misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to FSD... I was referring to Lifetime Supercharging. Prior to Jan, 2017 it stayed with the car, and afterwards it stayed with the first owner of the car.