Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Purchase - Tesla disables FSD even if already purchased by previous owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was looking at a used MS and found one that I liked and reached out to Tesla to get a call-back. EV-CPO had listed the car as having FSD already on the car; used vehicle advisor ping’s car to confirm that FSD has been activated. I was skeptical because Tesla’s listing didn’t display FSD as an option, however EV-CPO did.

Anyways, I asked him to do some more research on the interior of the car and when he did, he came back and told me that even though the car current reports FSD, if I should buy the car, Tesla will remove FSD and force me to purchase it as an upgrade after the fact. Curious if anyone else has seen/heard/experienced this. Odd how Tesla will allow lifetime supercharging to follow a used car, but an already paid-for feature is removed so they can double-dip.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Hi all,

I was looking at a used MS and found one that I liked and reached out to Tesla to get a call-back. EV-CPO had listed the car as having FSD already on the car; used vehicle advisor ping’s car to confirm that FSD has been activated. I was skeptical because Tesla’s listing didn’t display FSD as an option, however EV-CPO did.

Anyways, I asked him to do some more research on the interior of the car and when he did, he came back and told me that even though the car current reports FSD, if I should buy the car, Tesla will remove FSD and force me to purchase it as an upgrade after the fact. Curious if anyone else has seen/heard/experienced this. Odd how Tesla will allow lifetime supercharging to follow a used car, but an already paid-for feature is removed so they can double-dip.
Not necessarily double dipping (not that it would be anyway), the listed price may have been discounted due to the removal of FSD.

Yeah no. It doesn't work like that. If it's been paid for at any point, the car has it. He had to have given you bad information. Secondly, lifetime Supercharging only follows the car if the lifetime supercharging is tied to the car. There is a lot of lifetime supercharging out there that is only tied to the first owner (changed Jan, 2017).

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Yeah no. It doesn't work like that. If it's been paid for at any point, the car has it. He had to have given you bad information. Secondly, lifetime Supercharging only follows the car if the lifetime supercharging is tied to the car. There is a lot of lifetime supercharging out there that is only tied to the first owner (changed Jan, 2017).

That’s what I thought (about FSD). Unfortunately, car sold before I could pull the trigger... thanks for the info!

People get options (wheels and fsd) removed from used cars. Occasionally new also.

If a car has FSD and is sold “private party” from one owner to another, or via non-Tesla used car dealer, then FSD remains with car. Tesla cannot take it away.

However, if Tesla takes car in trade and resells, they presumably gave owner fair price for FSD option, and therefore can remove for a lower and more attractive CPO price... betting new buyer will add it back on.

Ahkhan, can you elaborate a bit more on the change from FSC attached the car, to the owner, which occurred in January 2017? I'm looking to purchase a used car that was delivered Jan 2017, Tesla employee says it will keep FSC but how can i be sure? Thx.

Ahkhan, can you elaborate a bit more on the change from FSC attached the car, to the owner, which occurred in January 2017? I'm looking to purchase a used car that was delivered Jan 2017, Tesla employee says it will keep FSC but how can i be sure? Thx.

Must be a misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to FSD... I was referring to Lifetime Supercharging. Prior to Jan, 2017 it stayed with the car, and afterwards it stayed with the first owner of the car.