Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Roadster shopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for opinions. How much should a battery replacement contract add to the price of a low-mileage used model? I think that originally it added $12K when new, right?
FWIW, I know of one deal where BAR was valued at 50%. The seller thought he had a BRA, advertised and agreed on a price based on there being a BRA. Upon discovery that there was no BRA, the revised negotiated price reflected the discount. Obviously, views will differ and other facts may affect the negotiation.

Last edited:
What's the best way to determine the health of a Roadster battery?

Specifically, if looking to purchase a used Roadster, what questions should one ask and what information should one obtain to determine the health of the battery and the expected range in standard and range mode charging?

I ask because a recent listing of a Roadster shows 62 miles of range with about 60% of the battery charge remaining. I asked in that thread if this is reflective of battery health, and was informed that this only represents recent driving and not necessarily the overall health of the battery (which makes sense, and thank you to those who answered). However, this car has only been driven a mile in 6 months, and who knows how the battery has been kept... plugged in? charge in range mode the whole time?

My followup question seemed better suited to this thread than to the thread for that specific car...

What's the best way to determine the health of a Roadster battery?

Specifically, if looking to purchase a used Roadster, what questions should one ask and what information should one obtain to determine the health of the battery and the expected range in standard and range mode charging?

I suggest you get the logs (via USB key). From that, some people here on these forums could help you with their opinion.

Tesla may also be able to assist with history.

The car can report "ideal range" and "actual range". The latter depends on driving history. The former is the range you get if you drive at 55 mph on a nice day. Obviously the "ideal range" is the basis you want to use for comparison, because it's consistent no matter how the car has been driven.

A brand-new Roadster will have around 190 miles after a full Standard mode charge, and around 240 after a full Range mode charge.

My two-year old, 16,000 mile Roadster shows around 182 miles after a Standard mode charge (actually a few hours later... probably a bit higher right after the charge finishes - some battery balancing happens after the charge is done).

One other comment is beware of just looking at ideal range. True, if it shows a high ideal that means the battery is probably ok. But, a low ideal doesn't mean battery is permanently damaged - it may just be out of balance.

Thanks for that info. I just got mine yesterday. Just approaching its 3rd birthday with about 12K miles.

First standard mode charge showed 176 ideal miles after charging then 175 in the morning. That was a tiny bit less than I expected - although it is only down 8% from new after 3 years. Let's see if it improves.