Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Roadsters in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

browna3

Nov 22, 2011
I've been watching/reading the forums for awhile, but this is my first post. Thanks for all of the great information.

I'm curious what Texas owner's experience, especially non-original owners, has been with regard to service. From what I understand, Chicago currently handles all of the Texas service issues. Does Tesla stop by to do work on your vehicle when they are in town?

Also, does anyone that owns an early 2008 or 2010 that is currently out of warranty care to comment on their experience with regards to service since expiration? I've noticed that a lot of the Roadsters, even the 2010s have had quite a bit of major work done to them under warranty. This makes me a bit nervous as I'm looking at Roadsters that will be out of warranty soon.

Thanks!

I love the Tesla service people. They are in general understanding and will help where they can. They come to your house/business and do any needed service. There is a fee, but it is very convenient (the service). They in general schedule multiple vehicles for service and then do a run through the state.

What city in Texas are you? While they are from Chicago currently, the service people are using Houston as their starting point for calculating ranger fees. They are awesome too. I agree.

I have a 2.5 from October 2010. I wouldn't describe any of the work I had done as Major. I'd say the biggest problem I had was with my UMC. I am on my 3rd, but whereas the first two only lasted 2 months each, this one has lasted a year. My vehicle was delivered without the seat lumbar support pads - so they shipped them. Part of the E on my tail fell off, so my car was a T=SLA for a little while. One of my headlights used to fog - they fixed that. The car makes a lot of wind noise, and in a Texas heat wave, the A/C is anemic. I called Tesla service about those problems, but if I was out of warranty, I probably would not have... the jury is still out on whether those fixes were worth the effort. A nut got loose in my steering column - he torqued it to spec. Ranger told me that I was the only one he knew of with that particular screw loose.

The only issue I would describe as the car actually "breaking" is the bolt in the steering column. It just shook loose from the Houston roads (which are surprisingly bad). At this point, based on my experience, I would not be more worried about a Tesla out of warranty than any other car out of warranty.

*** Warning, likely to start a new thread *** Do not respond to the next paragraph.
FWIW, My used car strategy is to buy them with a couple months of warranty left in them, then I bug the sh*t out of them to fix everything. That way I'm not buying someone else's problem. If a problem comes up, that's life. The way I figure it, the cost of ownership is around the same. If you want to pay for your repairs up front, buy new. If you want to hold on to your money, then pay for repairs slowly over time, get used. Either way, you're gonna pay.

My car has had more modifications than repairs. My A/C condenser was upgraded by Tesla. My PEM and motor cooling fans were upgraded by Tesla. A modification was made to the wiring on the backup battery to prevent any chance of a short circuit. All that was free. I also paid to upgrade to HID headlights. All of these things were done to improve the car, rather than fix it.

As for repairs, I have had an intermittent tire pressure monitor replaced, and some work to fix a squeak. Nothing major.

A nut got loose in my steering column - he torqued it to spec. Ranger told me that I was the only one he knew of with that particular screw loose.
The only issue I would describe as the car actually "breaking" is the bolt in the steering column...

Nut, screw or bolt?

Just passed my six month anniversary of a used Roadster in Austin. Loving every minute of it. Service has been great, and like the other posters, mostly for simple things, like a tire pressure monitor, sqeaks, A/C retrofit of cowl housing, etc. Just added HID headlights and sound dampening, and it feels like a new car again.