Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used S VS Audi A4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fuel prices are indeed much closer here. Around me, the cheap stuff is a little over $2/gallon. With my electricity prices, it's equivalent to about 50MPG in terms of cost. Still awesome for a car as large and powerful as the Model S, but nowhere near your 8x differential.
Based on current electricity and gas rates, I think the tesla dealer said my electricity bill would go up $150 a month,,,,,, if my gasoline bill went down from $400 to zero but my car payment went up from 400 to 800 then I am loosing, hence needing to supercharge as often as possible

If I were you, with the amount of driving you are do, run - don't walk - and get any S with Autopilot. Buy or steal doesn't matter.

You will then realize that it is worth every penny or even more. That is assuming much of your commute is on the highways.

I have a round trip 75 mile commute, and I used to looks for way to work from home just to avoid the commute. Look for ways to avoid peak hour traffic. Now with the S, I don't care. I drive to office everyday, as it is simply lot more enjoyable and lot less stressful on my S with AP. And the difference is very apparent during the frustrating stop and go peak hour commutes.
I simply can't justify or afford a $80-$90 thousand dollar car. (Mainly due To child support)

OP, based on some of the answers you have provided in this thread, I would recommend you simply wait for Model 3.

You are looking to save on your bottom line of commuting expenses, and it simply not that easy when you are jumping from a semi-lux sedan in ~$40K price range (A4) to Model S.

In addition, IMO your charging expectations/ideas are somewhat misplaced, if you are looking to use Supercharing network for your daily commute and additional savings. Sure it's possible, but Supercharging network is there to support long distance travel, not for daily commuting needs. Charging where you don't have to wait for the car is ideal to support daily needs (home/work).

However, there are very reasonably priced CPO cars (I've seen a few Model S 60s in the recent weeks on pre-owned tesla site that were under $50K and quite well equipped). But I simply don't think you will achieve your current goals with Model S at this time.

Good luck!

Reactions: GJ79
You make a good point, but I don't think a lot of people know that the government only gives out like 250,000 clean car rebates to each company in America ...... So as far as I heard as soon as they sell over that number all the other people are SOL, MEANING technically every car that they sell NEW before you get your III means it knocks off one more person from the bottom of the list that WOULDA received that tax rebate

Has anyone else heard this? I could be wrong
Your understanding of the EV tax credit (not "rebate") is garbled. The tax credit begins to phase out when a manufacturer reaches 200,000 US sales. In the quarter that US sales reach 200,000, all cars sold in that quarter plus the following one are eligible for the full $7500 tax credit. Then sales during the next two quarters get half of the tax credit. Then sales for two quarters get one fourth of the tax credit. So:

Q0 (200,000 US sales reached): $7500 tax credit for all US sales in the quarter
Q1: $7500 tax credit for all sales
Q2: $3750 tax credit for all sales
Q3: $3750 tax credit for all sales
Q4: $1875 tax credit for all sales
Q5: $1875 tax credit for all sales
Q6: No tax credit

Many here believe that the 200,000 threshold for US sales won't be reached until the first half of 2018. If so, many of the early Model 3 buyers may qualify for the full tax credit if Tesla produces it on schedule (not that they have met their timelines with any previous car models).

Even if your purchase qualifies for the full $7500 tax credit you will only get the amount you owe in taxes for the year of your purchase. Unless you owe $7500 or more in federal income taxes for that year you won't get the full credit.

Given the situation you described, it is hard for me to see how switching from the Audi to a used Model S would be cost-effective. There may be other reasons to make the switch but saving money isn't one of them.

• Informative
Reactions: jaguar36
OP, based on some of the answers you have provided in this thread, I would recommend you simply wait for Model 3.

You are looking to save on your bottom line of commuting expenses, and it simply not that easy when you are jumping from a semi-lux sedan in ~$40K price range (A4) to Model S.

In addition, IMO your charging expectations/ideas are somewhat misplaced, if you are looking to use Supercharing network for your daily commute and additional savings. Sure it's possible, but Supercharging network is there to support long distance travel, not for daily commuting needs. Charging where you don't have to wait for the car is ideal to support daily needs (home/work).

However, there are very reasonably priced CPO cars (I've seen a few Model S 60s in the recent weeks on pre-owned tesla site that were under $50K and quite well equipped). But I simply don't think you will achieve your current goals with Model S at this time.

Good luck!
Thanks I think I am leaning towards your opinions as well,

Your understanding of the EV tax credit (not "rebate") is garbled. The tax credit begins to phase out when a manufacturer reaches 200,000 US sales. In the quarter that US sales reach 200,000, all cars sold in that quarter plus the following one are eligible for the full $7500 tax credit. Then sales during the next two quarters get half of the tax credit. Then sales for two quarters get one fourth of the tax credit. So:

Q0 (200,000 US sales reached): $7500 tax credit for all US sales in the quarter
Q1: $7500 tax credit for all sales
Q2: $3750 tax credit for all sales
Q3: $3750 tax credit for all sales
Q4: $1875 tax credit for all sales
Q5: $1875 tax credit for all sales
Q6: No tax credit

Many here believe that the 200,000 threshold for US sales won't be reached until the first half of 2018. If so, many of the early Model 3 buyers may qualify for the full tax credit if Tesla produces it on schedule (not that they have met their timelines with any previous car models).

Even if your purchase qualifies for the full $7500 tax credit you will only get the amount you owe in taxes for the year of your purchase. Unless you owe $7500 or more in federal income taxes for that year you won't get the full credit.

Given the situation you described, it is hard for me to see how switching from the Audi to a used Model S would be cost-effective. There may be other reasons to make the switch but saving money isn't one of them.
Has not Tesla already sold well over 100,000 cars? Thanks for your feedback

Is there any actual truth to the idea you CAN NOT supercharge daily?

Supercharging is for long distance travel only! Tesla makes that very clear everywhere it is advertised. I've repeatedly asked to be shown one place where Tesla advertises SCing where the words "for long distance travel" are not stated but no one has pointed one place out to me. I again make that challenge.

The whole system will fall apart if people use it for daily charging. If you can't afford to the own the vehicle without supercharging locally, then you can't afford to own the vehicle. Period.

Ask yourself if you want to be sitting at a supercharger for 20 minutes a day. You don't. Forget the fact that you'd be using it for a purpose other than it's intended for or the fact that there might be days you pull in there and there isn't an open stall. Who wants to sit at a supercharger daily? That's no fun. You don't want that. The novelty will wear off on day 5.

Also, you won't just be filling up to get that 140 miles. You'll be filling up to get 200 to give yourself a buffer. And on cold winter days you'll be buffering even more. You don't want any part of this. Seriously.

But if you must... My 45,000 miles 85kwh is in the for sale section for 50k!

You can get an AP CPO for around $50K range. You just have to be patient and inform your CPO adviser your requirements and he will reach out to you as soon as he finds one. I bought a CPO 85 with AP in Jan this year (booked it in Dec last year) for $60k+. So a $50K+ CPO with AP is possible.

Any car with a VIN above 57K will have AP.

You can get an AP CPO for around $50K range. You just have to be patient and inform your CPO adviser your requirements and he will reach out to you as soon as he finds one. I bought a CPO 85 with AP in Jan this year (booked it in Dec last year) for $60k+. So a $50K+ CPO with AP is possible.

Any car with a VIN above 57K will have AP.

You have a unicorn. Autopilot cars don't sell with any kind of regularly for anything even close to $50,000. It just doesn't happen. Congrats on getting a deal but I wouldn't tell anyone else to hold their breath waiting for that to happen again any time soon.

You have a unicorn. Autopilot cars don't sell with any kind of regularly for anything even close to $50,000. It just doesn't happen. Congrats on getting a deal but I wouldn't tell anyone else to hold their breath waiting for that to happen again any time soon.

Actually, several people in the CPO thread have been reporting getting AP cars in the high 50s/low 60s. They are sold immediately so they basically never show up on the site. Hence why you have to work with a rep to find one.

If you can't afford to the own the vehicle without supercharging locally, then you can't afford to own the vehicle. Period.

This comment right here is all you need to know in my opinion.

The advice I would give to everyone looking at an expensive luxury car is if you have to really think hard to know if you can afford it you should not be buying it. They are by definition a luxury and a terrible financial investment. You buy a luxury car because you want it and you have the money.

Reactions: Pdub2015
Supercharging is for long distance travel only! Tesla makes that very clear everywhere it is advertised. I've repeatedly asked to be shown one place where Tesla advertises SCing where the words "for long distance travel" are not stated but no one has pointed one place out to me. I again make that challenge.

The whole system will fall apart if people use it for daily charging. If you can't afford to the own the vehicle without supercharging locally, then you can't afford to own the vehicle. Period.
It is only lack of knowledge as to why I thought it was ok and cool to supercharge daily, no need to be a dick ;-)