Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used S60 vs Gen III?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok we've got it bad and the wife has made it clear we will be on the list for the cheaper Gen III/model E. As we talked about how we would use this second ev it occurred to me that in a couple of years a used S60 will probably be in the same price range, distance range etc. We don't need or even want a second S85. The more I thought about it I felt I'd buy a used M60 over any of the current ev e.g. i3 leaf etc. I don't expect Tesla to be giving the next generation away so a $40k price point is very probable. Will the current S60 drop in resale to make this a real consideration?

Thoughts?

Oh yea, the i3 will not be a consideration.

I would think you need to get one with fairly high mileage to get to $40k. With supply (limited by battery supply) far behind demand (+ModelX, +additional international markets) for the forseable future, it seems hard to predict a significant depreciation curve.

Searched for a 2nd cheaper EV recently. The 23/24 kWhr EVs won't work for us. But in the process I found a lot of people going to PHEVs for an intermediate solution. Volt's attractive lease deals and low fuel cost (60+mpg compared to EV's 90-100 eMPG) beats any other ICE lease+fuel cost. So you might consider this option. It isn't as idealistic as long range EV but a reachable solution today while waiting for GenIII in 4 years or so.

Last edited:
I think this is true for the current market but in another year... I think prices for S-60's will go down especially when the other manufacturers get something closer to that range. The new Leaf is already promoting a 125 mile range. It will be very interesting to see the market in another year. I wonder it this will follow typical electronic trends of lower prices for the newest electronic gadgets e.g. computers, cameras, calculators etc.

A 100k miles S60 with a range of 150+ miles should be available for less than $40k I would think. Any ICE that has a base price of $70k depreciates more than 60% at 100k miles

A nicely maintained S60 at that price I think would be a good buy until Gen 3 is available.

Yes. The internet took over and added S before the battery pack size. S used to stand for Signature so you could tell S85 from production 85kWh. That and MS started appearing instead of Model S.

Ok we've got it bad and the wife has made it clear we will be on the list for the cheaper Gen III/model E. As we talked about how we would use this second ev it occurred to me that in a couple of years a used S60 will probably be in the same price range, distance range etc. We don't need or even want a second S85. The more I thought about it I felt I'd buy a used M60 over any of the current ev e.g. i3 leaf etc. I don't expect Tesla to be giving the next generation away so a $40k price point is very probable. Will the current S60 drop in resale to make this a real consideration?

Thoughts?

To me it depends on when you want to get the car. I don't expect to see the Gen III cars (in full production) until around 2019. This is based on my own estimates of what it will take to get the Gigafactories going, the average slippage in Tesla's scheduling commitments, and some hidden statements within Tesla's comments about it.

To me it depends on when you want to get the car. I don't expect to see the Gen III cars (in full production) until around 2019. This is based on my own estimates of what it will take to get the Gigafactories going, the average slippage in Tesla's scheduling commitments, and some hidden statements within Tesla's comments about it.

I think you might be right. Typically folks don't have the patience to wait. 2019 is a long way off and I expect to see lots of improvements from Nissan. Hell by then even BMW will have finally figured it out. The ev flood gates will have opened. I have a feeling we'll have a used MS60 by then.

Thoughts?

Why would the I3 not be a consideration? I drove one and it's a RIOT to drive. The range sucks, but everything else about the car is great.

I do concede that the poor range is a pretty big deal.

I read that the 85kWh was more popular than the 60kWh. And to lessen constraints Tesla could drop the 60 and only have Model E ,S 85 and X. I got the Model S 60 because a Model E might be too small for my family. You could find a 40kWh and save for the battery unlock

I read that the 85kWh was more popular than the 60kWh. And to lessen constraints Tesla could drop the 60 and only have Model E ,S 85 and X. I got the Model S 60 because a Model E might be too small for my family. You could find a 40kWh and save for the battery unlock

No more Model E. Gen III would be the right moniker:

Tesla Abandons Model E Trademark

There's a good chance some PHEV bullseyes are available before the E. Unless it is about brand loyalty, having to have the screen, or it being about keeping to strict BEV, the fuel dollar solution is a drive line like the i3, with more tank, or Volt with ~20 more miles of electric range.

By now, it is also clear that small batteries are becoming epidemic in many of the new PHEVs.