Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used tesla buying guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC gang,

This is going to be a really wide open ended question, but are there any guides written up on things to look at when buying a used Tesla? I'm thinking about buying a used Tesla Model S from a private seller and am looking for different things I should check out/make sure are good before accepting the title of the vehicle/paying for it.

For example, here's a really good checklist in purchasing a used car; but more so what are the specific things I should keep out when it comes to buying a Tesla vs coming from an ICE vehicle?

Thank you,
Jack

Reactions: tander
Hello TMC gang,

This is going to be a really wide open ended question, but are there any guides written up on things to look at when buying a used Tesla? I'm thinking about buying a used Tesla Model S from a private seller and am looking for different things I should check out/make sure are good before accepting the title of the vehicle/paying for it.

For example, here's a really good checklist in purchasing a used car; but more so what are the specific things I should keep out when it comes to buying a Tesla vs coming from an ICE vehicle?

Thank you,
Jack
Great idea, I've avoided buying a used one due to lack of knowledge. Not much to add other than general advice which is to be careful about buying early production models. I remember seeing a very early Model S, the one that was actually 50k, and even as a non car person it looked kind of poorly put together and I assume that probably means you wouldn't want to buy one of those used or out of warranty.

if you are close to a Tesla store, you can always walk in and see if a floor person may help with what to look out for. I would say stay away from 3rd party cars but hey, if a deal is to be had, and you know your way around cars, you may fair well. Plenty of YouTube showing how to even rebuild a flooded, salvaged car so the knowledge is out there if there are any problems. I personally a year ago was looking at a 3rd party car. When I started comparing the older car to a new car, I started to realize I was giving up a lot of new technology to save a few bucks. The P85+ was very close to a 75 in performance and with the tax rebate, it was not much savings. So, what I'm saying is compare your used options to a new car. Now things have changed a bit with free supercharger and that maybe a good reason to stay used if you are a road trip kind of person. Quick things to look at though. Chips in the roof or windshield, Any blemish in the paint. Look under to see if there are any dents in the battery pack. Check for even tire wear and good tread. check for MCU yellow border and if found ensure it will be repaired under warranty. If private you will receive remainder warranty. if 3rd party, YOU WILL NOT have remainder warranty! Best of luck and stay in touch.

Reactions: chrgra
if you are close to a Tesla store, you can always walk in and see if a floor person may help with what to look out for. I would say stay away from 3rd party cars but hey, if a deal is to be had, and you know your way around cars, you may fair well. Plenty of YouTube showing how to even rebuild a flooded, salvaged car so the knowledge is out there if there are any problems. I personally a year ago was looking at a 3rd party car. When I started comparing the older car to a new car, I started to realize I was giving up a lot of new technology to save a few bucks. The P85+ was very close to a 75 in performance and with the tax rebate, it was not much savings. So, what I'm saying is compare your used options to a new car. Now things have changed a bit with free supercharger and that maybe a good reason to stay used if you are a road trip kind of person. Quick things to look at though. Chips in the roof or windshield, Any blemish in the paint. Look under to see if there are any dents in the battery pack. Check for even tire wear and good tread. check for MCU yellow border and if found ensure it will be repaired under warranty. If private you will receive remainder warranty. if 3rd party, YOU WILL NOT have remainder warranty! Best of luck and stay in touch.

Thanks for the reply Darmie! Outside of the battery pack and MCU, any other quick things to check? Also, are there any gotcha's in transferring ownership?

It looks like:
  1. Call the main support line: 1-877-798-3752

2. Option 2: "Additional Support Options."

3. Option 2: "Transfer of ownership."
Is the way to transfer the title (credit Reddit), but when it comes to the app, is there a way to ensure the previous owner cannot control the car? Likewise, do I need to reset the fob or anything like that?

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply Darmie! Outside of the battery pack and MCU, any other quick things to check? Also, are there any gotcha's in transferring ownership?

It looks like:
  1. Call the main support line: 1-877-798-3752

2. Option 2: "Additional Support Options."

3. Option 2: "Transfer of ownership."
Is the way to transfer the title (credit Reddit), but when it comes to the app, is there a way to ensure the previous owner cannot control the car? Likewise, do I need to reset the fob or anything like that?

Thank you!

I am in the middle of that right now. This is pretty much all you have to do. They will require a few documents, including a color copy of your drivers license and the new registration on your name. That is very important, the process cannot be started until you get the new registration from the DMV.