Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla delivery in Fremont and Road Trip home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a used Model S. My wife and I are thinking about taking delivery in CA (have friends who live near SF) and then take a road trip with it home to FL (stopping to see some friends and sights along the way).

Do some of the used inventory end up back in Fremont or a service center around there? And would it be possible to schedule that since their customer service is so lacking and we would be on somewhat of a time frame?

My concern is not being able to see the car prior and what if we fly out and the car does not meet our expectation or needs service before driving it across country? We could easily plan a few days upon delivery to let the SC fix some things or would they give me a "due bill" upon delivery and acceptance of the car that I could get resolved at the SC near me in Tampa (obviously if the repairs are not going to impact the long ride)?

I just was researching the sales tax matter after I made the post. Florida (still trying to find the exact statute) evidently will give you credit for the sales tax paid in another state up to the Florida rate (6% and my county has a discretionary rate of 1.5% on the first $5,000). So though I can get some credit, taking delivery in CA, it would cost me 1.25% on the amount over $5,000.

Found some guidance:
https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_library/current/gt800030.pdf

I just was researching the sales tax matter after I made the post. Florida (still trying to find the exact statute) evidently will give you credit for the sales tax paid in another state up to the Florida rate (6% and my county has a discretionary rate of 1.5% on the first $5,000). So though I can get some credit, taking delivery in CA, it would cost me 1.25% on the amount over $5,000.

Found some guidance:
https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_library/current/gt800030.pdf

Good deal, looks like it works out for FL residents. I know many other states don't offer that, and many people have ended up paying double sales tax.

Not a sales tax expert, but I believe that you can take delivery in CA and not pay sales tax in CA so long as you drive the car straight out of CA. IIRC, one has to drive from Fremont straight out of state. Alternatively, you could look for a car in Reno, it's only 3.5 hours away (without traffic...) from the SF bay area.

Not a sales tax expert, but I believe that you can take delivery in CA and not pay sales tax in CA so long as you drive the car straight out of CA. IIRC, one has to drive from Fremont straight out of state. Alternatively, you could look for a car in Reno, it's only 3.5 hours away (without traffic...) from the SF bay area.
That’s not true. If you take delivery in California you’ll pay California sales tax

Do they follow you out of the state? LOL I would be leaving the state, but maybe not direct from the point of purchase. Since FL gives me credit, not too worried. Though I did think about how I could get a FL tag while in CA so I did not have to drive across country with a temporary tax.

Not a sales tax expert, but I believe that you can take delivery in CA and not pay sales tax in CA so long as you drive the car straight out of CA.

Do they follow you out of the state? LOL

Exactly. If you think about it, how do they know you "drive straight out of state"? Can you stop for lunch? What if you have a flat tire on the way? Is there a time limit and someone at every state border crossing to timestamp your "Exit California" certificate? LOL

Reactions: PDACPA