Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="Lifeinabox, post: I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla offers transportation again after the Q4 Model 3 delivery push. $2000 a pop is a good way to recoup some of the trucking company acquisition costs.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Did you rub a Genie lantern? 20 days or so before they announced it, you posted that it seemed likely. Nice Call !

Question: what is a bigger influence on the prices of “CPO/used” teslas?
supply / demand (more inventory /less willing buyers due to a bad sales process) Or lower costs (lower trade in values / less refurbish costs) If costs play in, then this new process will add costs , unless Tesla starts offering less and less on trade ins.

IMO, CPO/Used are like an i-Phone. The new models are continually coming out and users are "new" hungry. Even the poorest of us walks around with the latest (or near-latest) version. Although WAY more expensive, I see Teslas in a similar fashion. So, I'd vote that the influence will more due to lower demand.

[QUOTE="Lifeinabox, post: I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla offers transportation again after the Q4 Model 3 delivery push. $2000 a pop is a good way to recoup some of the trucking company acquisition costs.

Wow! Did you rub a Genie lantern? 20 days or so before they announced it, you posted that it seemed likely. Nice Call ![/QUOTE]Lol. Now if only my stock picks would do the same, I’d afford a new Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Don TLR and Donz_S
So wait a minute. Are these news carpool stickers so valuable that I can sell my 2015 S70D for $70k? Make me an offer, I’ll even drive it down.;):p:p

Shipping has resumed, but I have not heard of any recent experience. Anyone here know of anyone who has tried it since the "used" program

I just took delivery last Friday (14 Dec) of a Model S that I put the initial $2,500 down payment on 1 Dec. The car is shipped from Fremont, CA for a flat rate of $2,000 to the nearest Tesla Delivery Center from you. From there, they delivered it to my house. I think if I wanted to pick it up at the delivery center, that was only available on saturdays. Otherwise, mon-fri was home delivery.

I’m planning to register the car in my home state where I’m still a resident, so Tesla is supposedly going to mail me a self-registration packet. I have tried asking if it’s already been sent out and if it includes the title, but no one I’ve spoken with seems to know. The delivery agent put a 14 day moving permit in my front windshield which I suppose is like a temp license plate tag.

I just took delivery last Friday (14 Dec) of a Model S that I put the initial $2,500 down payment on 1 Dec. The car is shipped from Fremont, CA for a flat rate of $2,000 to the nearest Tesla Delivery Center from you. From there, they delivered it to my house. I think if I wanted to pick it up at the delivery center, that was only available on saturdays. Otherwise, mon-fri was home delivery.

I’m planning to register the car in my home state where I’m still a resident, so Tesla is supposedly going to mail me a self-registration packet. I have tried asking if it’s already been sent out and if it includes the title, but no one I’ve spoken with seems to know. The delivery agent put a 14 day moving permit in my front windshield which I suppose is like a temp license plate tag.

Congrats! I assume you were happy with the condition of the car as you took delivery, or did you feel pot committed already and had no recourse? Hopefully your risk paid off and you got a car your happy with.

Congrats! I assume you were happy with the condition of the car as you took delivery, or did you feel pot committed already and had no recourse? Hopefully your risk paid off and you got a car your happy with.

Thanks! I wrote a detailed review on the whole process which I posted on reddit. Here's the link if anyone is interested: Buying a CPO (used) Model S 85D experience : teslamotors

To answer your question specifically, it met my threshold of what I was willing to accept but there were a couple of small damages I could not see in the photos. As most of you probably know, the photos you get with the CPO process is hit or miss. I passed up a few great deals based on the low quality photos. This one I ended up purchasing had pretty good photos, 1600x1200 resolution and no photos that indicated any damage. Some of the things I noticed when I took delivery:
  • Three rock chips and some pitting on the windshield. Two of them were repaired (filled) but one of them is not repaired. I took it to Safelite and they told me they could try to repair the last chip (biggest one), but there's a chance the entire window could crack, so I left it alone.
  • A few small (~0.5 in) but deep scratches (well beyond the clear coat and paint) on the rear bumper. It's only slightly visible when the hatch is closed.
  • Several small rock chips throughout the car (front bumper, hood, b-pillar, mirrors, etc.).
  • Front bumper lip scraped on the bottom/side.
  • Some light scuffs (all fixed when I did a full detail).
  • One small pen mark on the driver seat.
I'm waiting to hear back from the delivery agent I was working with to see if there's anything Tesla can do about the windshield and rear bumper. I understand these used vehicles will have some wear and tear (i.e. small rock chips), but the rock chips on the windshield seem a bit excessive, especially considering one of them is likely not repairable, and the rear bumper scratches are not what I would define as normal wear and tear. Additionally, both of these were not disclosed in the photos which I was told any damage(s) would be.

Edit: Here's a link to some photos I took to show the damages I'm talking about - Dropbox - 2015 Tesla Model S 85D - Simplify your life

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbear and MC408
Thanks! I wrote a detailed review on the whole process which I posted on reddit. Here's the link if anyone is interested: Buying a CPO (used) Model S 85D experience : teslamotors

To answer your question specifically, it met my threshold of what I was willing to accept but there were a couple of small damages I could not see in the photos. As most of you probably know, the photos you get with the CPO process is hit or miss. I passed up a few great deals based on the low quality photos. This one I ended up purchasing had pretty good photos, 1600x1200 resolution and no photos that indicated any damage. Some of the things I noticed when I took delivery:
  • Three rock chips and some pitting on the windshield. Two of them were repaired (filled) but one of them is not repaired. I took it to Safelite and they told me they could try to repair the last chip (biggest one), but there's a chance the entire window could crack, so I left it alone.
  • A few small (~0.5 in) but deep scratches (well beyond the clear coat and paint) on the rear bumper. It's only slightly visible when the hatch is closed.
  • Several small rock chips throughout the car (front bumper, hood, b-pillar, mirrors, etc.).
  • Front bumper lip scraped on the bottom/side.
  • Some light scuffs (all fixed when I did a full detail).
  • One small pen mark on the driver seat.
I'm waiting to hear back from the delivery agent I was working with to see if there's anything Tesla can do about the windshield and rear bumper. I understand these used vehicles will have some wear and tear (i.e. small rock chips), but the rock chips on the windshield seem a bit excessive, especially considering one of them is likely not repairable, and the rear bumper scratches are not what I would define as normal wear and tear. Additionally, both of these were not disclosed in the photos which I was told any damage(s) would be.

Edit: Here's a link to some photos I took to show the damages I'm talking about - Dropbox - 2015 Tesla Model S 85D - Simplify your life

Glad to hear your experience wasn’t a total nightmare considering the risk you were taking. Sounds like you really did your homework and went with a safer option a better photos, good move!

For what it’s worth, I had a rock chip
In my windshield as well as Tesla replaced the windshield completely. I was told since it was a safety issue, they would take care of it, but any “cosmetic” issues, they do not fix or repair. I would really try and play up the safety issue when you talk to them and hopefully you can get them to replace your windshield.

Good luck!