Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I ever see a government rebate in Alberta I'll have a heart attack. I'm more likely to see a government surcharge for electric!

You may not have a government rebate in Alberta but even when we had one in BC you still paid less. We have 7% PST that adds 3% "luxury tax" to vehicles over about $60K so it's 10% PST plus 5% GST. So when I got a $5K rebate, I still paid $5K more than in Alberta. Now we pay $10K more with no rebate.

That surprises me on both accounts
For fear of taking this thread off topic... Income tax is flat rate in Alberta, not progressive like most every other jurisdiction. The end result is that the bottom and middle classes actually pay slightly more income tax, however the upper class pays significantly less. (I'm below the cutoff where I would save money on this tax regimen) As for electricity, we have a deregulated market, it was supposed to result in cost savings, but instead we pay among the highest electric rates in north america. Our cost per Kwh listed on our bills is actually relatively low (8c/kwh) however it's really a lie because that makes up only a tiny portion of our actual bill, the rest is administration charges, distribution charges, rate riders, network access fees, etc, etc, etc. some of which are fixed monthly, and some of which fluctuate with usage. the incremental cost of each kwh for me is actually about 15c and there's a base cost that doesn't fluctuate as well. (I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it was about $50-75/mo)

I thought the only downside was that you had to live in Alberta. ;)
That's the UPside! ;)
In all seriousness, I love BC, I visit there often, and it's the only other place in Canada I would consider living... That said, I still prefer Alberta

When I did my test drive(s), I said "okay" when asked if I wanted to receive emails from Tesla. So I simply got a list of demo cars one day and jumped on the chance. The demo cars tend to be pretty well optioned, and I noticed all had dual chargers - presumably for fastest charging on busy test drive days.

Where to look for a used Model S in Canada?

As the for sale section on this site is completely useless for anyone outside of the USA (vast majority of cars are from there, nobody says where in the headline, and Tesla is actively blocking imports)

What other resources would any of you recommend for finding a used MS in Canada?

I look at auto-trader regularly, but I'm not convinced that all of the cars end up on that site, so I'm not sure I want to miss any.

I'm just starting to be in the market, realistically I probably need to save for another year to get what I really want, but I think I'm close enough now to start watching the for sale ads in case I find a really good deal that manages to dip the cost of what I want in to the budget I've already managed to save.

I've seen the occasional Tesla posted on Kijiji, chances are they are also posted on Auto Trader, but it doesn't hurt to watch both.
I was afraid of that, Kijiji is a real pain to use when trying to search nationally, it's geared towards local search (which makes sense because I'm not driving across Canada to pick up a cheap rocking chair, but I do wish I could pick multiple jurisdictions at a time.)

I do plan to talk to the stores, Vancouver being my preference, however I may need to talk to Toronto/Montreal as well if they don't share inventory lists, there are simply too few Teslas in Canada to limit oneself East vs West.

I was afraid of that, Kijiji is a real pain to use when trying to search nationally, it's geared towards local search (which makes sense because I'm not driving across Canada to pick up a cheap rocking chair, but I do wish I could pick multiple jurisdictions at a time.)

I do plan to talk to the stores, Vancouver being my preference, however I may need to talk to Toronto/Montreal as well if they don't share inventory lists, there are simply too few Teslas in Canada to limit oneself East vs West.

Just drag the slider that says km from your location on kijiji... I frequently drag it up to 200km from my location, I think it will go as high as you want. (edit: it maxes out at 500km)

Last edited:
i looked on Auto trader as well as Tesla Yorkdale for several months before I gave up & bought new. I thought the car being discussed was almost @ years old and good value because of the low KMs but reflects market value. I find 99% of the ads on Autotrader are overpriced therefore they sit for sale forever. Lot of wishful thinking going on.

Just drag the slider that says km from your location on kijiji... I frequently drag it up to 200km from my location, I think it will go as high as you want.
200km is useless, that doesn't reach the next major city from my location, and doesn't get even 1/4 of the way to the closest city with a large Tesla population. I need about 800-900km to reach vancouver, and probably 5000km to reach Toronto.

- - - Updated - - -

i looked on Auto trader as well as Tesla Yorkdale for several months before I gave up & bought new. I thought the car being discussed was almost @ years old and good value because of the low KMs but reflects market value. I find 99% of the ads on Autotrader are overpriced therefore they sit for sale forever. Lot of wishful thinking going on.
I agree most of the Autotrader ads are insanely over priced, I've done comparisons before in other threads where I broke down the cost of the used cars vs new cars spec'd identically, often the used cars are more expensive than brand new. However there's often 1 or 2 cars on there (out of 15-20) that have prices in a more reasonable range.

Current plan is still another year of saving, but I want to start keeping my eyes open as I'm now just at the right range to plausibly find what I want if someone low-balls their price just a hair.

You can search Kijiji at a provincial level by not selecting a region or city.

People really need to adjust their prices now with the advent of the 70D. It's only a matter of time I suppose.

I'm aiming to pickup a 2013 P85 roughly by the end of the year. I predict that with a lot of customers selling for the Model X, as well as any type of kw bump or refresh (headlights ? new Tegra chip?), I should be able to find one for ~<$80k FOR <40,000KM.

A year ago I said I would buy a Model S in 2 years, my requirements were that it had to be an 85kWh (or bigger) model and had to have the tech package, I was planning for a used car.

Now, my savings have been growing better than I had planned, but Tesla also introduced the sensor suite for autopilot. My timeline appears unchanged, but now I've added the auto-pilot sensors in the mandatory column. Without those I could buy used any time now, but with them, I think I need to wait a while longer (first of all because there are very few of those for sale, and secondly because they're more expensive)

By this time next year I'll be really close to being able to afford brand new, and there is some appeal to that, but the penny pincher in me is horrified at the thought of ever buying a brand new car without letting someone else take the worst of the depreciation for me...

My hope is that somewhere between now and then I'll fall in a place where my finances go up enough, and used late 2014/early 2015 cars come down enough, that I'll find a happy medium and get a used car before I get to the point of buying new.

I also think that the Model X launch and any other possible upgrades between now and then will help me in my quest.

I find 99% of the ads on Autotrader are overpriced therefore they sit for sale forever. Lot of wishful thinking going on.
Indeed. Prices have barely budged since the 70D announcement; they deserve a correction.

Has anyone tried making offers to sellers on Autotrader? Any luck getting a much lower price? I'd start making offers but run the risk of offending some. We should be seeing prices in 60s at least by now given almost all have no AWD or autopilot hardware.