Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla Model 3s pricing error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 1500 mile limitation is based on the miles the car has when it was purchased, not when it is registered. If the car @vtvox buys hasn't been registered yet and has 1495 miles on it, he can still drive it 900 miles back to Colorado. He can still register it as new.
Wheww ... that makes more sense. But I still appreciate the responses here. The mileage will be on the MVPA, and the MVPA is what determines it all here.

Reactions: ivyvy
On the topic of delivery fees ... I put deposit down on a "unicorn" or "stealth" or "sleeper" M3, which is a P3D- so 18s and none of the performance HW upgrades. I'm pumped. Get's me to the point.
Car is in Minneapolis and I'm in Colorado. The SA said he won't know the transpo fee etc until Tuesday when he calls the location where the car is.
I've read $2k maybe even $4k, but I'm going to go up there on the weekend on a $39 Frontier Flight, pick it up, drive it the 900 miles, use up my free SUC credits. I know 900 miles depreciates the car, but it is what it is to snag a unicorn.

They will ship the car to Colorado for $1000. At that price, it makes sense not to fly out, and then drive home. Or at least it's close. Time is money. Honestly for me, $2k or $4k, I wouldn't do that delivery fee, and would do as I planned here.
That's on top of the original $1200 doc or whatever fee. It's okay to get a unicorn. And it makes the timing of pick up much more convenient too. Much less to coordinate.

They will ship the car to Colorado for $1000. At that price, it makes sense not to fly out, and then drive home. Or at least it's close. Time is money. Honestly for me, $2k or $4k, I wouldn't do that delivery fee, and would do as I planned here.
That's on top of the original $1200 doc or whatever fee. It's okay to get a unicorn. And it makes the timing of pick up much more convenient too. Much less to coordinate.
I'm at the airport right now. Driving back from KC tomorrow. ;)

Reactions: vtvox and JasonR67
Some of them are still available, albeit at different prices.

1EyShhY.jpg

I like the clean look of this screenshot? Is this something you put together?

Tax is based on where you live and register the car, not where you pick it up at.
That's actually not a 100% accurate statement. For instance, the state of Washington and California don't give the buyer credit if they purchase in the other state. If I was to purchase a car in California, I'd pay sales tax. Then when I tried to register it in Washington State I'd have to pay sales tax again. It's really a stupid setup but it is reality. The state of Washington changed tax laws a few years ago because people were going to Oregon to make big purchases.

That's actually not a 100% accurate statement. For instance, the state of Washington and California don't give the buyer credit if they purchase in the other state. If I was to purchase a car in California, I'd pay sales tax. Then when I tried to register it in Washington State I'd have to pay sales tax again. It's really a stupid setup but it is reality. The state of Washington changed tax laws a few years ago because people were going to Oregon to make big purchases.

Hmm. That's interesting or "stupid" as you put it. I mean, you are helping the environment regardless of where you buy the car as long as you live in Cali or Wash, why would they care? Probably other motives. Okay. At least for me in Colorado, no matter where I've actually purchased a car, I've paid the taxes based on my location of my current residence.

Ahh ... I see what you are talking about with Oregon. But still, I would think you'd have to register it where you live, and pay taxes based on that. Sales tax based on where you live for cars. If that wasn't the case, ALL cars would be purchased in states with no sales tax. Well, at least I would do that.

Last edited:
Hmm. That's interesting or "stupid" as you put it. I mean, you are helping the environment regardless of where you buy the car as long as you like in Cali or Wash, why would they care? Probably other motives. Okay. At least for me in Colorado, no matter where I've actually purchased a car, I've paid the taxes based on my location of my current residence.

Ahh ... I see what you are talking about with Oregon. But still, I would think you'd have to register it where you live, and pay taxes based on that. Sales tax based on where you live for cars. If that wasn't the case, ALL cars would be purchased in states with no sales tax. Well, at least I would do that.
Politicians! Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

• Funny
Reactions: vtvox
Hmm. That's interesting or "stupid" as you put it. I mean, you are helping the environment regardless of where you buy the car as long as you live in Cali or Wash, why would they care? Probably other motives. Okay. At least for me in Colorado, no matter where I've actually purchased a car, I've paid the taxes based on my location of my current residence.

Try buying a car in California and you'll find you are subject to California taxes. Fortunately most states let you apply the tax already paid so that you don't have to pay it again when registering. Depending on where you live in Colorado, the California sales taxes would probably be more than what you would pay when buying in Colorado. Colorado would give you a credit for what you paid in California but they won't give you a refund for the higher rate you would probably have to pay in California.

Try buying a car in California and you'll find you are subject to California taxes. Fortunately most states let you apply the tax already paid so that you don't have to pay it again when registering. Depending on where you live in Colorado, the California sales taxes would probably be more than what you would pay when buying in Colorado. Colorado would give you a credit for what you paid in California but they won't give you a refund for the higher rate you would probably have to pay in California.

It's so confusing. In the end, they are shipping the car to me in Colorado. It says delivery is on Sept 20th, but I don't have my MVPA to give to my bank yet, who has approved an auto loan for more than I'll need, and I'll probably borrow the max allowable at 3.5% over 6 years.

Should avoid any confusion on the sales tax. I'm paying local sales tax. They'll collect the state sales tax via the MVPA, then I pay the local plus registration when I register the car at my county DMV. Well, how it worked last time. Looking forward to the $5k state tax credit and $1875 from the feds. I'm pumped about this P3D- unicorn I'm getting!

It's so confusing. In the end, they are shipping the car to me in Colorado. It says delivery is on Sept 20th, but I don't have my MVPA to give to my bank yet, who has approved an auto loan for more than I'll need, and I'll probably borrow the max allowable at 3.5% over 6 years.

Should avoid any confusion on the sales tax. I'm paying local sales tax. They'll collect the state sales tax via the MVPA, then I pay the local plus registration when I register the car at my county DMV. Well, how it worked last time. Looking forward to the $5k state tax credit and $1875 from the feds. I'm pumped about this P3D- unicorn I'm getting!

are they charging CO tax or CA (should be CO if shipped, CA if p/u)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

You would only pay California taxes if you pick up the car in California. Since you are having it delivered to Colorado, you will pay Colorado sales taxes.