Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla Model S Advice - tired of waiting on the refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a first time Tesla owner (well potential owner) and I placed my model S refresh order in early Feb. I am tried of waiting and being without a car (renting a car for now so it's getting expensive).

I heard good things about a local dealer who carries a large number of used Tesla's, so thought I'd check it out. Maybe get a deal on a used performance vs waiting for my long range refresh. High level, are either of these two links to these cars a good deal? I have no idea what these were worth new or what the major differences are between the 2019 version and the refresh besides the obvious.

I assume the warranty would pass along to me but is there any other issues with buying used? I've never bought used anything, let alone a Tesla, so any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

https://chargedautomotive.com/2019-...&mxyr=&slid=223&vid=180714&pg=1&ord=0&sort=od

https://chargedautomotive.com/2019-...&mxyr=&slid=223&vid=183037&pg=1&ord=0&sort=od

...used?....
By law, you get the rest of the 4 year/50,000 mile new car warranty so that is not the problem.

The ads say "Ludicrous" and "FSD".

These are software-enabled features and Tesla could unilaterally and accidentally remove them at any time. To get those back, you'll need to prove that those features were paid to Tesla. That means you need a receipt from Tesla like the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement".

I would very much hesitant to buy those features without proof that they were paid to Tesla.

Since you never bought used, I don't think this is a good time to do it. I would continue to pay the known risk of the expense of the car rental rather than to take on the used car risk.

By law, you get the rest of the 4 year/50,000 mile new car warranty so that is not the problem.

The ads say "Ludicrous" and "FSD".

These are software-enabled features and Tesla could unilaterally and accidentally remove them at any time. To get those back, you'll need to prove that those features were paid to Tesla. That means you need a receipt from Tesla like the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement".

I would very much hesitant to buy those features without proof that they were paid to Tesla.

Since you never bought used, I don't think this is a good time to do it. I would continue to pay the known risk of the expense of the car rental rather than to take on the used car risk.
Thanks a lot for the good information. Really appreciate it.

Haha. I've said a few times on here. It's so damn hard to wait. This is the first car I have bought where I didn't walk into a showroom and walk out with it.

But this I'll make an exception because I knew when I ordered they were in the middle of retooling. Many forum members ordered in October and have yet to get an update. But once Tesla ramps up. We'll get our cars soon.

Not to mention I can't stand the horizontal screen in the prerefresh ones. Haha

Haha. I've said a few times on here. It's so damn hard to wait. This is the first car I have bought where I didn't walk into a showroom and walk out with it.

But this I'll make an exception because I knew when I ordered they were in the middle of retooling. Many forum members ordered in October and have yet to get an update. But once Tesla ramps up. We'll get our cars soon.

Not to mention I can't stand the horizontal screen in the prerefresh ones. Haha
You mean the vertical screen in the pre-refreshed versions.

Those prices are ridiculous; I'm sure even higher than when brand new. So it makes zero sense to buy used, and then you get the decreased warranty, and run the risk of some of the features you'd be paying for getting disabled by Tesla. If I was going to even consider used, the only way I'd do it was to give Tesla the VIN, and hear from them that the car in question had the equipment the ad is claiming. They should be able to confirm that, without divulging any previous owner information. But maybe they won't do that, just to make it harder for owners to sell outside Tesla dealers. Who knows.