Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla Model S Delivery Experience!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Friends!

Hello,

About a month ago, I posted a thread regarding used tesla FSD transfer. Purchasing Used Model S...FSD Transfer?

After I read all of your generous comments, my wife and I decided to order from Tesla's website instead of going for 3rd party used dealership.

We found a 2017 model S 100D, black color, around 40k mileages, tan interior with FSD capability.
We placed the order on Valentines Day, 2021.

I wanted to trade-in one of my 2 cars, so requested quote for Tesla.
Their price was not as good as I expected, so I went to Carmax, got proposal, and sold it.

Since my wife wanted to avoid all of the boring paperwork, we paid in full, little over $60k including shipping fee.

Wait started. It was long. The car departed in California, and I'm in Washington DC. It is like all the way opposite location :)

The car was arrived about 2 weeks later, however, Tesla told me that I have to wait for the service.

About a week later, their automated system scheduled us on March 7th. So my wife called Tesla to confirm. They said no, and the car was still in service and they will let us know when to pick up.

That was the longest week I ever waited.

Then they called us, scheduled for pick up on March 13th, yesterday. But I have to be skeptical about it since I've read so many horror stories.

I received the express delivery confirmation email the day before, and also received a phone call in the morning before I pick up the car. It was confirmed!

My pick up location was Tyson's Corner, Virginia. Right next to its dealership.

It was very busy, so many ppl were excited about their new car.

Here are the photos of my used tesla!

1.jpg

3.jpg

It was a month of wait...order placed on Feb 14th, and picked up on March 13th.

So many email exchanges and phone calls.

Always concerning about, 'what if they lied about the car description? Service takes too long, is the car in a shitty shape?' like that.

For now, I'm just happy to got the new car to drive, but kind of anxious if I will face some issues in the future xD

Thank you for reading!

Congrats! I always say the horror stories are the loudest, but there’s plenty more good stories like yours that don’t get told because, hey, that’s what you expect when you buy a car. Glad to see you and several others contribute to the positive side!

Congrats! I always say the horror stories are the loudest, but there’s plenty more good stories like yours that don’t get told because, hey, that’s what you expect when you buy a car. Glad to see you and several others contribute to the positive side!
Thank you very much!

yes, there were some uncertainties about options I purchased, long wait time including service center delays etc; however, they brought me a nice, clean car that runs like a rocket. There were many customers came for pick up their new Tesla just like me and they looked happy, too!

Reactions: DBO.
Looking at buying a used Model S. What was the delay in the service center? Once you buy the car, does it get shipped to your nearest service center and then they go through the car with a check list to fix or correct things? Since we cannot see the cars until delivery, I would have anticipated it going into service after delivery to fix anything you found unacceptable.

Bought a used MS from Tesla, paid in full, long story short, they lost the title, failed to notify me, then they ignored my calls (Burbank location), temp tags expired, had to go to DMV, had to contact corporate, it was a nightmare.
Bought a brand new MS, they forgot to stamp the pick-up date on the docs, so when I tried to apply for the CA rebate, it got rejected. Tesla wouldn't amend the delivery docs after delivery, another nightmare. It also took 4 months and dozens of emails to get my free supercharging via referral code.
The price you pay for the best car in the world is that Tesla will certainly screw things up on the administrative side, which is staffed exclusively by morons.

Looking at buying a used Model S. What was the delay in the service center? Once you buy the car, does it get shipped to your nearest service center and then they go through the car with a check list to fix or correct things? Since we cannot see the cars until delivery, I would have anticipated it going into service after delivery to fix anything you found unacceptable.
Hey PDACPA!

My delay at the service center turned out that they installed MCU3, full self driving computer. I think the delay will be varied for various reasons. And also you gotta ask them what is happening with the car at the service center, before that, they would just say it is in the service center.

They should have went through the checklist of their own. I can't find out about it because it is their job to do when the car arrived at the service center, before making a schedule for the pick up date.

Well, my car was washed, and detailed inside pretty well.

Yes, I received my car at the nearest tesla service center (it is located right next to Tesla showroom, or dealership).

My delivery was the express delivery, which is non-contact delivery. They sent me an email before the pick up date for the instruction.
Install the app before you go.

So my car was parked at the service center parking lot, with tons of other tesla models and customers. Everyone was looking for his or her car and inspected the car for themselves. There was no designated associate for helping me out. They put your name on a piece of paper and put it under the windshield, so you can find your car easily.

Check your car for exterior. Interior, if possible through windows. And if you don't see anything particular (dings dongs huge scratches cracks etc), you can login to the Tesla account on the website with your phone (not the app), and click 'accept delivery.' Since they put keycards or keyfobs inside of the vehicle, you can open the door and check interior.

Then they put an envelop with paperwork to sign inside of the car. So you can actually see the car before you sign.

Although there was no designated associate, there were still employees who walked around and ask people to make sure everything is alright. They can help you for easy things. But yes, if there are significant issues, you have to use your tesla app and request for a service. Or you can refuse to accept it.

A lot of people request for mobile service or put their cars into the service center right after delivery for many reasons. I really don't understand but it is tesla...For me fortunately, I don't have anything to request a service.

There are so many horror stories but don't worry too much.

Bought a used MS from Tesla, paid in full, long story short, they lost the title, failed to notify me, then they ignored my calls (Burbank location), temp tags expired, had to go to DMV, had to contact corporate, it was a nightmare.
Bought a brand new MS, they forgot to stamp the pick-up date on the docs, so when I tried to apply for the CA rebate, it got rejected. Tesla wouldn't amend the delivery docs after delivery, another nightmare. It also took 4 months and dozens of emails to get my free supercharging via referral code.
The price you pay for the best car in the world is that Tesla will certainly screw things up on the administrative side, which is staffed exclusively by morons.

That will be the last thing I want to hear...
Talking about the car itself, they can handle it at the service center....but for documenting, it is crazy!
I am still waiting for my registration and number plate. I hope everything goes well...

Totally agree with you about morons. They are.

For now, I'm just happy to got the new car to drive, but kind of anxious if I will face some issues in the future.
Congrats! I just went through this process also. I love the car (2016.5 90d) but the delivery process was a huge pain in the ass. My car shipped to MA from Texas, and at one point they lost it for a few days. It seems like if anything goes wrong, it tends to snowball. The delays definitely make the anxiety of buying a car sight unseen worse, but it worked out.

Reactions: alrnr2232
I purchased a used 2017 model S 75 RWD from Tesla in October 2020. I did it right before the warranty change over (the used car advisor gave me a heads up this was happening) as I was browsing for 3-4 weeks before hand. I finally pulled the trigger and the used warranty policy went from 4 years, 50K miles to 1 additional year (battery/powertrain remains same). I picked up the car from the Portland delivery center and it was in good shape. Nothing stood out and thankfully I had pictures of the car before I ordered (used teslacpo.io) so I had a general idea of what I was getting in to. The only issue I have had so far is the rear tail light condensation (they fixed already) and a squeaky driver window (they lubricated once and documented so will replace if it happens again). I was a bit weary of this process but overall it was fine and we are happy with the car. If you can get pictures before dropping the $500 it is ideal (although I know it’s not common at all).

Purchased my 2016 MS from Tesla in May, 2020. Got the 4 year warranty. Probably would have not purchased with current 1 year warranty. Very happy with car, no major complaints. Biggest issues are driver seat rubs against console and makes noise. If I shift my weight, goes away. Also, there is some wind noise coming from somewhere around drivers window.

Don't know how thoroughly they go through cars when prepping for sale. Car was clean and shiney. There were some water marks on the paint, so they scheduled time for me to bring in for a detailing (with free loaner). Car had 40,000 miles on it. Cabin air filter was filthy, looked like original one. Wiper blades needed replacement. You would think that their checklist would include checking cabin air filter.

Purchased my 2016 MS from Tesla in May, 2020. Got the 4 year warranty. Probably would have not purchased with current 1 year warranty. Very happy with car, no major complaints. Biggest issues are driver seat rubs against console and makes noise. If I shift my weight, goes away. Also, there is some wind noise coming from somewhere around drivers window.

Don't know how thoroughly they go through cars when prepping for sale. Car was clean and shiney. There were some water marks on the paint, so they scheduled time for me to bring in for a detailing (with free loaner). Car had 40,000 miles on it. Cabin air filter was filthy, looked like original one. Wiper blades needed replacement. You would think that their checklist would include checking cabin air filter.
I have debated upgrading to the HEPA air filter. The initial cost is $500 but it seems like it would be a good update as it would replace the cabin filter and the west coast seems to be on fire every year now (sadly).

Nice car. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

I picked up my 2017 100d in November 2020. Came from CA to MO in 2 weeks. Also a LONG two weeks LOL. Everything was quite smooth for me aside from no delivery in OK. Had to drive to MO and get it but it's fun to do a road trip in your new car.

Note for any other buyers, try not to be too excited and miss anything. Your only chance to point something out is when you pick it up. At least that was my experience. I just have a bubble in the chrome on a mirror and Service Center told me they would have probably fixed it if I'd noticed it on pickup day. Not really a huge deal for a used car. Detail was B- but it wasn't dirty by any means.

I also paid in full up front. Didn't even attempt the trade in and sold my old car local.