Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Teslas only 1 year / 10k warranty as of October 15, 2020.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting to think my current car will be my last Tesla at this rate.
They've gone from reconditioned CPO with warranty, to mostly-as-is-used with warranty, to no-pics-used-with-warranty to no-pics-used-with-almost-no-warranty.
Just partner with one of the major national used car chains and be done with it, Elon. You obviously don't want to be in the used car business, though it's kind of where you belong with your "screw the customer" attitude.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
Also looks like the warranty documents have disappeared from the "glove box" portion of my Tesla account. No doubt they will try to BS people and tell them their warranty has expired when they bought before the change and actually got a 4y50k warranty.

Well I knew they had to take the cost of the model S price cut from somewhere... guess now we know.

I have yet to sign the final delivery paperwork of my current Used Model S I purchased! Hope it still comes with a warranty!

Attachments

• image_2020-10-16_085642.png
    image_2020-10-16_085642.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 83
Title is a bit misleading. They give an additional 1 year / 10k miles on top of any remaining warranty. This is pretty consistent with some of the other manufacturers. Granted it’s shorter than the German CPO warranties, but we all know Tesla doesn’t recondition their used cars.

While it's unfortunate that Tesla is doing this, it points to a few assumptions:

1) Tesla is looking to "lose" less money through warranty repairs.
2) Tesla might be inundated with Service requests from warranty holders wanted everything little thing fixed and covered.
3) The cars need significantly more repair/service to make it to 100K miles than previously projected.
4) The old used car/CPO program has negatively affected new car sales.

Personally, while disappointing when a company changes its policies to give the customer less, it seems in line with most manufacturer warranties. I think there is a perception though that Tesla repairs are astronomically higher than your average car but the battery/drivetrain warranty still applies for 8 years from the original date of sale. Still, many of us would not be pleased to have the air suspension, MCU, AC compressor, or charging components fail out of warranty.

What grinds my gears is that while Tesla is moving in this direction, they also appear to be fighting the "right to repair" at the same time. At this point in my Tesla ownership I was hoping there was going to be more 3rd party remanufacture/new parts, repair services, and DIY support.

If this revised warranty applied to our soon to be out of warranty 2013 S85, the only repair I would have paid out of pocket would have been the rear window defroster and TPMS retrofit. The former failed at 60K miles and the later failed at 85K miles. Maybe $2K in repair work.

Title is a bit misleading. They give an additional 1 year / 10k miles on top of any remaining warranty. This is pretty consistent with some of the other manufacturers. Granted it’s shorter than the German CPO warranties, but we all know Tesla doesn’t recondition their used cars.

While 1 to 2 years from purchase (or added to original new car limited warranty) is the norm with luxury brand CPO/used limited warranties, not only is Tesla at the shorter end at 1 year but many of those including Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and Volvo have unlimited miles where Tesla is only 10k total or added miles. The Tesla 1 year/10k miles used warranty extension is more like what you'd expect to find with a Chevy or Ford. Of course, how relevant the mileage limit is depends on the miles on the car being purchased and how much one drives.

If someone is trying to defend Tesla with new policy you should put that person on "ignore" asap.

Used Tesla - You can NOT see pictures of used car before you are ordering . You have to deposit $500 plus transfer fee (500 - $2500? at that time. Both non refundable. You can not drive used car before giving them your money. Here you should stop comparing Tesla with any other car maker. (Audi,MB,Lexus...).

If someone is trying to defend Tesla with new policy you should put that person on "ignore" asap.

Used Tesla - You can NOT see pictures of used car before you are ordering . You have to deposit $500 plus transfer fee (500 - $2500? at that time. Both non refundable. You can not drive used car before giving them your money. Here you should stop comparing Tesla with any other car maker. (Audi,MB,Lexus...).

Trust me, I am not trying to defend or condone Tesla's new used policy, and I also think the fact that they do not put pictures up anymore is simply crazy and makes the process almost pointless from a consumer standpoint. All I was saying is that the warranty period is in line with other CPO programs and how they operate, but certainly the new / current Tesla used warranty is on the low side for time and distance compared with other manufacturers.

The main reason why I bought a used Model S last year was simply because of the 4 year/50K miles warranty on top of the original warranty. Why? Simply because of the potential "fairly expensive" out of warranty repairs that I've read about.

So now buying a used Tesla from Tesla directly is more or less out of the question for me on my next Model S - hopefully a used Plaid in a couple of years after the initial major depreciation has taken its toll on the 2021/2022 models. Perhaps we'll get an aftermarket warranty provider in Canada by then. Otherwise it will be a used Taycan.

Yep - when checking out the used Model S inventory - the first filter I had always checked was the '4 YR / 50K' warranty selection. That was the only way I would have considered a used Model S purchase.

I thought Tesla had at least a modicum of interest in sustainability - like - helping save our planet from ICE emissions, trying to help slow climate change etc. Keeping an existing Tesla on the road a few more years would certainly go a long way.

But it's full throttle buy new buy new buy new.

Reactions: vegas888
Trust me, I am not trying to defend or condone Tesla's new used policy, and I also think the fact that they do not put pictures up anymore is simply crazy and makes the process almost pointless from a consumer standpoint. All I was saying is that the warranty period is in line with other CPO programs and how they operate, but certainly the new / current Tesla used warranty is on the low side for time and distance compared with other manufacturers.
The warranty is NOT in line with other CPO programs. My wife's Volvo is a CPO vehicle which came with... amazing enough... a 4YR 50K extended warranty. You think Tesla was doing this in the first place just to be swell ? They were being competitive. It's obviously becoming too expensive to stand behind their cars.

The warranty is NOT in line with other CPO programs. My wife's Volvo is a CPO vehicle which came with... amazing enough... a 4YR 50K extended warranty. You think Tesla was doing this in the first place just to be swell ? They were being competitive. It's obviously becoming too expensive to stand behind their cars.

The Volvo disclosure says 5 year unlimited miles “Calculated from the original in-service date and zero miles.” Additional warranty available.

Still pretty good, but what’s Volvo initial warranty? If it’s 4 years, then they are adding a year and making it unlimited miles. Pretty good, but not a game changer except for the unlimited miles part.

The Volvo disclosure says 5 year unlimited miles “Calculated from the original in-service date and zero miles.” Additional warranty available.

Still pretty good, but what’s Volvo initial warranty? If it’s 4 years, then they are adding a year and making it unlimited miles. Pretty good, but not a game changer except for the unlimited miles part.
Their initial warranty is a 4 year - but she has an additional 4 years from the original in-service date. Zero deductible too... compared to the $200 deductible I've grown used to with the Model S extended warranty.

The end result is that Tesla is "tightening up" yet again. It feels like a lifetime ago when the friendly mobile Tesla guy came into our driveway and took care of things quickly... with a smile... had the needed parts with him... was usually on his way within 2 hours. Sigh...

Their initial warranty is a 4 year - but she has an additional 4 years from the original in-service date. Zero deductible too... compared to the $200 deductible I've grown used to with the Model S extended warranty.

The end result is that Tesla is "tightening up" yet again. It feels like a lifetime ago when the friendly mobile Tesla guy came into our driveway and took care of things quickly... with a smile... had the needed parts with him... was usually on his way within 2 hours. Sigh...

That’s not what’s listed on the CPO page, sounds like she got a good deal.

These companies also only sell recent cars as CPO. I don’t think anyone sells a 2013 car as a CPO with the great warranties like Tesla was doing (of course without the CPO process or name - just used cars with warranty). Nissan certainly does not from my recent buying experience there. BMW goes back 3 or perhaps 4 years for CPO.

That’s not what’s listed on the CPO page, sounds like she got a good deal.

These companies also only sell recent cars as CPO. I don’t think anyone sells a 2013 car as a CPO with the great warranties like Tesla was doing (of course without the CPO process or name - just used cars with warranty). Nissan certainly does not from my recent buying experience there. BMW goes back 3 or perhaps 4 years for CPO.

What this all comes down to... Tesla had me considering another Model S... buying a used one with the 4YR / 50K extended warranty. Now that they pulled it... forget it. A 40K to 45K used Model S was within budget. A new 70K vehicle not so much.

Used no longer comes with 4yr/50k warranty even when under 50,000 miles!!

My guess is they really want to drive sale for the New 69 420 model S...???!!!
Oh wow, that sucks! For me, that was one of the main reasons why buying pre-owned from Tesla was still attractive. I ordered on October 3rd but just took delivery on the 17th - thankfully I got the 4 yr/50k mile warranty still.

Reactions: N8Howell33