Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used tires on MX??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Gang, We need new tires on our X, I came across this website, bestusedtires.com

2 Used Continental CrossContact LX Sport ContiSilent, 265/45R20, 108V, 9-10/32, Tire # 302705 (Front)

$214.88

2 Used Continental CrossContact LX Sport ContiSilent, 275/45R20, 110V, 9-10/32, Tire # 302704 (Rear)

$196.48

Total with free shipping is $411.36 ( 90 days warranty on defect and issue)

So far I can find any reason not to buy this set of tires, they are exact match to my current front and rear tires. I'm reaching out to the forum for any insight and suggestion before I make the purchased. I contacted SC and they said they can mount them for $50 per wheel.

SC new tires and mount is $1600 quoted

vs

used tires/mount is $611.36 ( +-$100)

yay??? or nay??

The tires are 411.36 and the installation is $200. I hear what your saying about used tires but these have 95% tread life left.

I know it's a 90k car but if every year and a half I have to put 1600 into tires then it defeats the purpose of a low maintenance cost when buying a Tesla.

If they cost around 800-900 I would go new always but we are talking about $1600. I really can't see any disavtange to save $1k on 5% tread wear. They are not cheap tires either, they are the exact one that is currently on my X now. Please give me more compelling reason to spend the extra 1k.

Reactions: vrykolas
How about this? Why would someone get rid of tires with 95% thread left? There must be a reason, Maybe there isn't I don't know. Maybe he just didn't like the tires, who knows. Maybe you could get lucky and the tires are great. Its your money and your call.

But, and it's a big but. Don't ever buy used winter tires. That is a big no no. If who ever had them before used them all year long those tires aren't going to perform as they should. The summer heat will ruin the rubber.

I'm not a tire expert I'm just giving my opinion. I know there is a used tire market just like a used car market. But me personally I think some things you shouldn't skimp out on.

One more thing. Don't buy tires at the Service centre. That's like going to a dealer for tires. They jack up the price. There's a lot of tire dealers around not just online. Do some research you might find better tires than the stock ones.

Easy enough to imagine someone with an X decided to get performance/quieter/smoother riding tires and is trying to get something for these tires without much effort. I'd say it's worth a try for 95% tread and a decent price. Although compare with Tire Rack prices, not Tesla.

There are many many many many forums on TMC and Tesla about the terrible situation we are all in with Model X tires. It's my most frustrating part of the car. I have a pretty detailed post out in this thread: 20 inch Rim/Tire Replacement Strategy

Basically everyone hates the ContiSilent tires that come stock. Hard to repair. Low tread life.

Most people I see are going for the replacement:
PERELLI SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS which are $960 on TireRack.com right now. I was going to try the Yokohama (I'm due in the next month for a change) but have decided not to go that far low on the price range but try the Perelli instead. I've read many posts from many owners saying they did that and really like them and the tread life looks better....

So I would not buy used tires. But I also would never buy the Continentals again.

• Informative
Since you live in Maine, spend the money for something that handles a bit better in the cold.
Maybe the Michelin Premier LTX. It is not worth it to go cheap on something you depend on so much.
definitely do not go used.

Used tires purchase update:

I went ahead and order the tires 2 front and 2 rear. They arrive today, I spent a good amount of time looking over each tires for any sign of damage and any red flag. I was not able to find any, they look great, they feel solid, great treat life left ( 9/32). I call the local tire shop, and they got me in and mount, balance, and install for $105 after taxes.

Total cost for tires and installation is = $516.36 total saving is ($1000.00) Original quote from three different company including Tesla SC was around 1300-1600. for the same set of tires that I currently have on my X now.

at this rate I can put used set of tires on the X every 20-24 months and replace 3 set of tires before I would even come close to replacing 1 set of tires new.

I order from bestusedtires.com so far the best customer services!! hand down. I know some people don't approve of this method that I have used. Hear me out, I bought a Tesla for low maintenance cost. What saving am I getting if I have to paid 1200, to 1600 for a set of new tires every 2 years. In the long run tires cost will empty my wallet. I think I have found a more sustainable alternative method to this madness.

Used tires purchase update:

I went ahead and order the tires 2 front and 2 rear. They arrive today, I spent a good amount of time looking over each tires for any sign of damage and any red flag. I was not able to find any, they look great, they feel solid, great treat life left ( 9/32). I call the local tire shop, and they got me in and mount, balance, and install for $105 after taxes.

Total cost for tires and installation is = $516.36 total saving is ($1000.00) Original quote from three different company including Tesla SC was around 1300-1600. for the same set of tires that I currently have on my X now.

at this rate I can put used set of tires on the X every 20-24 months and replace 3 set of tires before I would even come close to replacing 1 set of tires new.

I order from bestusedtires.com so far the best customer services!! hand down. I know some people don't approve of this method that I have used. Hear me out, I bought a Tesla for low maintenance cost. What saving am I getting if I have to paid 1200, to 1600 for a set of new tires every 2 years. In the long run tires cost will empty my wallet. I think I have found a more sustainable alternative method to this madness.

Well, I suppose any pre-owned vehicle you buy is riding around on used tires... so there's that

I like your approach, it is a reasonable answer to rapid tire wear, but…I did not like the Conti’s and the Scorpions were not that great in snow/slush so now I have studded Hakka’s which I hope will last a few winters. Nokian are better enviro-wise but previously I’ve used Michelin X-Ice this time of year. Toss up around the office if they are really any better than the Blizzaks. Maybe one of those brands lightly used would be an even better deal than the Conti's. My tire wear so far has been much more on the rears and was asymmetric on the first set (before an alignment) so If you need a spare wheel I may have one.

I have put in some time for research and $511 for set of tires used with 95% tread wear left got my attention. My current is 4/32 is recommend it that I replace by SC. I get it down to 3/32 before swapping with the used set. so far I found the Conti to be very good haven't had any issue in the snow or ice. we like the ride and the noise not so bad.

Tire rack has a set of four tires ranging from as low as $637 for crappy Hankooks (not recommended) to $1,292 for Continental Crosscontact LX Sport. There are options in the $900 - $1,100 range, too.

Regarding used tires, many of the ones with nearly-new tread are from salvage vehicles. This might not be a terrible option, although I would have a hard time convincing myself that this was a good move on such an expensive vehicle.

Personally, I’d shop around at some local tire centers. I’ve had very good experiences with Costco’s tire center.

What's wrong with used tires? We're not talking about pulling tires out of the dumpster. When I bought my BMW 550 years ago, I immediately took off the stock tires and replaced them with performance tires. The stock tires had about 60 miles on them and I sold them for $125 each.

What's wrong with used tires? We're not talking about pulling tires out of the dumpster. When I bought my BMW 550 years ago, I immediately took off the stock tires and replaced them with performance tires. The stock tires had about 60 miles on them and I sold them for $125 each.

There might not be anything wrong with them. If the company is reputable and they offer a good warranty, they might be worth a shot.

I agreed with you, we are not talking about tires that are worn out or defective, or damage, these are tires that have 95% tread life left, great condition. everyone is tossing 900-1200 around as if money grows on trees. My model x is a very expensive car I get that, which is why I replace it with the exact same tires, just great deal, I didn't go cheap or change brand. Like I said before I can go through 3 set of used tires before touching the prices of one set of new one. I did i mention they come with 90 days money back no question ask if there is anything wrong or defective!

Tire are literally the only contact point between the road and the car. All acceleration, braking, and most importantly directional control happens through the tires.

Unless the company is guaranteeing the history and condition of their used tires, it’s just not worth the risk.

Sure they could just be a take-off with little mileage. But that’s just one possibility. There are many more possibilities and most of them are bad.

Cheaping out on one of the most important, if not most important, parts of a car is foolish.

• Informative
Hi Gang, We need new tires on our X, I came across this website, bestusedtires.com

2 Used Continental CrossContact LX Sport ContiSilent, 265/45R20, 108V, 9-10/32, Tire # 302705 (Front)

$214.88

2 Used Continental CrossContact LX Sport ContiSilent, 275/45R20, 110V, 9-10/32, Tire # 302704 (Rear)

$196.48

Total with free shipping is $411.36 ( 90 days warranty on defect and issue)

So far I can find any reason not to buy this set of tires, they are exact match to my current front and rear tires. I'm reaching out to the forum for any insight and suggestion before I make the purchased. I contacted SC and they said they can mount them for $50 per wheel.

SC new tires and mount is $1600 quoted

vs

used tires/mount is $611.36 ( +-$100)

yay??? or nay??

Update on used tires:

Hi Gang, I just wanted to give an update on my adventure with used tires. So far, I have gone over 23k with the used set of tires from bestusedtires.com. As of now, I have no concern about buying the used tires, I have already purchase, another set and ready for replacement when the time come.

I believed that tires are very important and when I find that 5% used tires are just as great as brand new tires. FYI!