Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tow Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed mine last weekend also, going to stop by the Service Center saturday to ask them about installing the software upgrade.

Do you remember what you torqued the nuts down to? Also, just curious, on the passenger side for the fender flare were there 2 screws on the bottom side of the flare that attached into the bumper? Mine had 2 screws there but only on the passenger side, just wondering if that was factory or if someone did that to try and help the flare sit more flush...

So I finally installed a tow hitch steel bar. I've created an appointment to get the software upgrade... took less than 2 hours to install.

I think there's actually more than one version, looks like the mount for the trailer wiring plug can be different. I saw some pics where the plug opened to the side, but mine opens to the bottom (only way to mount it...)
The plug I have opens to the bottom. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one opening to the side, not sure how you’d attach the hitch if that were the case

Installed mine last weekend also, going to stop by the Service Center saturday to ask them about installing the software upgrade.

Do you remember what you torqued the nuts down to? Also, just curious, on the passenger side for the fender flare were there 2 screws on the bottom side of the flare that attached into the bumper? Mine had 2 screws there but only on the passenger side, just wondering if that was factory or if someone did that to try and help the flare sit more flush...

I basically torqued it to as tight as I could. I didnt have a torque wrench handy... as for the 2 screws, I don't recall 2 screws on only one side (passenger or driver side) that would make for an asymetrical assembly. I used these instructions form hitchpro.net to remove the bumper and everything they had indicated - 10MM bolts, torx bolts and push pin rivets were as published... See attachment. I didn't see anything that was out of place. Perhaps you are referring to the flange nuts in the wheel wells? but those are on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_2864.PNG
    IMG_2864.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
Yeah, the 2 screws were only on the passenger side, looked like sheet metal screws through the fender flare. I assumed they were "aftermarket". Of course I didn't know they were there so I broke my flare near the bottom...

I torqued mine to the specs listed in the aftermarket instructions you mentioned...

The different wiring orientation is strange,
this one Tesla Model X Trailer Hitch trailer with light connector 0111.0104.001 OEM OE | LA Global Parts has it sideways and the mount isn't removeable, then this one 2016 2017 2018 TESLA MODEL X TOW HITCH TOWING BAR OEM 10057987 2 | eBay has it vertical and the mount is removeable.

Not sure why they changed it...

For anyone interested, I have an appointment this week to get the software enabled, I'll update on the cost.

I basically torqued it to as tight as I could. I didnt have a torque wrench handy... as for the 2 screws, I don't recall 2 screws on only one side (passenger or driver side) that would make for an asymetrical assembly. I used these instructions form hitchpro.net to remove the bumper and everything they had indicated - 10MM bolts, torx bolts and push pin rivets were as published... See attachment. I didn't see anything that was out of place. Perhaps you are referring to the flange nuts in the wheel wells? but those are on both sides.

Yeah, the 2 screws were only on the passenger side, looked like sheet metal screws through the fender flare. I assumed they were "aftermarket". Of course I didn't know they were there so I broke my flare near the bottom...

I torqued mine to the specs listed in the aftermarket instructions you mentioned...

The different wiring orientation is strange,
this one Tesla Model X Trailer Hitch trailer with light connector 0111.0104.001 OEM OE | LA Global Parts has it sideways and the mount isn't removeable, then this one 2016 2017 2018 TESLA MODEL X TOW HITCH TOWING BAR OEM 10057987 2 | eBay has it vertical and the mount is removeable.

Not sure why they changed it...

For anyone interested, I have an appointment this week to get the software enabled, I'll update on the cost.

My mobile appointment is tomorrow for the trailer mode software upgrade and to replace a faulty tail lamp. They didn't mention a charge... I'll update everyone on a charge (if any) - I'm hoping it's free... =D

So, I can definitively answer the question on how much it officially costs to upgrade to the tow package.

There are only 2 official Tesla pricing scenarios :
1. Software upgrade only - $750.00
2. Software and hardware - $1250.00 (this includes the tow bar, receiver, bag, wiring harness) There isn't a separate price for people that don't need the tow bar)

Anyone that gets the software upgrade for no charge should consider themselves lucky, I wasn't lucky and had to pay the $750 ($854 after tax and a $7.50 labor fee...)

So, I can definitively answer the question on how much it officially costs to upgrade to the tow package.

There are only 2 official Tesla pricing scenarios :
1. Software upgrade only - $750.00
2. Software and hardware - $1250.00 (this includes the tow bar, receiver, bag, wiring harness) There isn't a separate price for people that don't need the tow bar)

Anyone that gets the software upgrade for no charge should consider themselves lucky, I wasn't lucky and had to pay the $750 ($854 after tax and a $7.50 labor fee...)
Sorry to hear that!