TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Used up the range!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Doug_G, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Well, here's a first for me. In over three years of driving electric (Roadster and Model S), I have never come close to exhausting the battery pack except on road trips. The other day I actually managed to use up the pack (well 90% of the pack... I didn't realize I needed full range!).

So first I gave some friends a ride out to the Carp airport (with the car chock full of luggage, including the frunk), then in to work. Then I was asked to go across the river into Quebec to demonstrate the Model S to some bigwigs. It was freezing cold and I had the doors open most of the time, and the heat on full blast, plus some joy rides (including getting lost once!) and going to lunch. Then my friends have to turn their plane around due to bad weather, and I had to go back out to Carp to retrieve them, and then drop them at my house so they'd have some place to stay for the day. Then back to work. I took that opportunity to plug the car in for 45 minutes, but then a customer arrived for a meeting driving an EV (!) and I gave him the plug. Then I had to run my customer out to the main Ottawa airport (someone else was picking up his EV) and then back to the office again. Then home to pick up my friends and ferry them to the same airport for a commercial flight. Then back home again. Puff Puff Puff.

Wow, I spent most of the day in the car! Thanks to the 45 minutes of 70A charging at the office, I had a nice reserve buffer. Although I did need to top up a little, the car handled everything I threw at it. It really goes to show just how capable the Model S is.

2. RoverS

RoverS Banned

good story bro.

i have an opposite story from yesterday. i have started doing a "half-charge" since my daily commute is only 50 miles roundtrip. for battery life, you know. well yesterday when i got home i forgot to plug in. In the past, no big deal, I still have way more energy than i need. But this morning I got in the car and it only had 39miles of range.

i had to sit in my house for two hours while i charged enough to get me to work and back today.

man i felt stupid. that's what it is... i'm too stupid to own a Tesla. god my mind is shot. i think i might be getting alzheimers disease like really early. :crying:

3. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Tesla app needs to be updated so if you park @ your normal charging place (home) and don't plug in, it would send you an app alert that your car isn't plugged in.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Agreed. I came home two nights ago expecting the car to be plugged in by my wife as I had to make two trips to the hardware store to pick up some very heavy wood flooring. The car has 51 rated miles, temp was about 45 and two round trips with a total of 1800lbs of wood and 1k of elevation at 40 miles.

I made it home by feathering the throttle, but still driving with traffic (60+) with 3 rated miles :)

5. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Sounds like it's time for wife 2.0 upgrade?

6. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Wow I'm impressed! Did you drive without any heat? :)
    And I also have a question - what is the Model S' load capacity anyway?

7. znino

znino Member

Might have been a little too close or not possible if this had happened in February :)

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Possibly! But I would have probably done a full charge knowing it was going to be a busy day, and that outdoor event never would have happened!

9. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yep, this is exactly why I think it's a bad idea to optimize the battery life this way. It gives you no margin for error which, to me, reduces some of the enjoyment and utility of the car. I reduced my charge point a little for battery life, but just to 200 miles of range on a typical charge. I can get to work and back 4 times easily, 5 now perhaps with improved sleep mode (~35 miles round trip).

I can forget to charge, or be lazy, or need to make an unexpected trip to the airport and back, without ever sweating it.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I agree with that point. My compromise has been to charge to 80% in warm weather, and 90% in cold weather. The combination of high charge and high temperatures is what in increases degradation, so I figure I can safely charge higher in winter. Also 80% in warm temperatures is more range than 100% in winter so I'm not really giving much up by charging less in summer.

Another advantage I have for those rare days is 70A charging available at home and at work. I rarely use it, preferring to use the UMC at 40A as it is more convenient than J1772. But when I need faster charging I can do so almost twice as fast.

I also "cheated" once by arriving home from a long trip (three en route charging sessions) with my Roadster "on fumes", plugging it in, and jumping into the fully charged Model S and driving off.

11. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Well, I usually only charge to 50%, but then I drive less than 15 miles a day on average, and if someone wants me to drive 60 miles away on less than 24 hours' notice, I simply won't do it. So I'm still leaving myself a huge margin.

12. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

Always so surprising to hear the Leaf has something Tesla doesn't have. The Leaf can be set to send a text message when you are near any of your chargers(any locations that you program) and are not plugged in.

Problem is that I come home often and don't plug in because I know I am going out again in an hour (and I don't need the range), so I shut off the alert because it was too annoying. I also don't plug in often because I'd rather leave the battery at 50% SOC and the Leaf doesn't have the slider.

13. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Personal preference. Depends on how you may use the car. I've settled on 65% (about 160 miles rated on the 85) which gives me plenty of margin if I have to do a round trip to either of the two nearest major cities on too short notice to top up with the HPWC. So, it still doesn't seem like a bad idea for me. Though, I automatically plug the car in when I get home and haven't forgotten yet.:smile: