Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used value hit if you no longer have the factory tires/wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeking advice. I have a 2022 PMY on order and will have a set of smaller tires/wheels from TSportLine waiting to go on. My guess is the 21" Uuberturbines will have less than 500 miles on them at that point. So I have two options:

1) Keep and store them, then put them back on the car when I sell it in the future (probably in 3 years)

2) Sell them now, bank the money and sell the car with the aftermarket TSportLine tires/wheels

So how much of a hit would I take on trade-in value if I don't have the OEM tires/wheels? For the sake of this discussion, I calculate the OEM 21s are worth maybe $2200.

Thanks

Yes, my own experience tells me that aftermarket wheels lower the car trade-in price even if they are aftermarket wheels directly sold/re-branded by OEM. I would keep OEM to save the hassle of finding them again; and sell the tsportline at that time. I expect used “Tesla” OEM wheels would still be for sale at close to new price, and whatever you bank now, you might end of paying it back.

Last edited:
I always stack the OEM wheels in a corner and throw them back on when I am ready to trade or sell.

Keep in mind that some Tesla service centers will not service the car if it pertains to wheels, balance, alignment or suspension related items if aftermarket wheels are on there. Because they do not want the liability of taking off your aftermarket wheels.

So in this case I pop on the OEMs for service. Just saying

Reactions: 07e92
Sell the tires and rims now

Enjoy the car as long as you have it

Sell the car for profit when your ready.

I would not worry about the OEM tires and rims

Good Luck and enjoy your Y
Sell the tires and rims now

Enjoy the car as long as you have it

Sell the car for profit when your ready.

I would not worry about the OEM tires and rims

Good Luck and enjoy your Y
Sell the car for profit when your ready?

Reactions: SCharged
i bought a used performance model 3
traded it in to tesla for 13k more than what i paid for it a year later
Dont worry about car
When you are ready to sell some day it will go in a heart beat, My new model y is worth more than what i paid for it
I could sell it for a 15k profit
Enjoy your car
Do what ever you want with it
Dont worry about the rims and tires

You will run into issues if you try to trade in the car to Tesla and don't have the factory wheels. Maybe the times have changed, but I asked for a trade-in quote in late 2020 and it had a $4.5K charge to basically replace the 22" wheels that were on my MX.

i bought a used performance model 3
traded it in to tesla for 13k more than what i paid for it a year later
Dont worry about car
When you are ready to sell some day it will go in a heart beat, My new model y is worth more than what i paid for it
I could sell it for a 15k profit
Enjoy your car
Do what ever you want with it
Dont worry about the rims and tires
I agree with your sentiment but dont assume that youll just keep being able to flip cars for a profit. That is rare and these times are strange.

Reactions: SCharged
I think there was some digression from the original question.

If you don't have OEM parts as it was originally sold, some dealers may consider it "a modification" which in turn could lower your vehicles value.

IIRC, when submitting trade in information dealers specifically ask about modifications such as wheels and suspension related items.