Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used versus New Purchase Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in no hurry, but it would be nice to have a car. I sold my 2018 mid-range a few weeks ago. I am in the market again for personal reasons and the used market seems to be at or higher than Model 3 new pricing. Is this because sellers are taking advantage of the extended lead time for new ones?

I didn't think there were any mid range models made in 2018.

The used car market is huge right now - the shipping boondoggle, chip shortage, and whatever has created a huge knot in the new car supply line, and the result is a huge demand (and resulting price hikes) for used cars. It's not just teslas.

Reactions: Dre78
I am in no hurry, but it would be nice to have a car. I sold my 2018 mid-range a few weeks ago. I am in the market again for personal reasons and the used market seems to be at or higher than Model 3 new pricing. Is this because sellers are taking advantage of the extended lead time for new ones?

Vehicle sellers are doing the exact same thing you did, when you sold your mid range vehicle a few weeks ago, for likely the exact same reasons you did so.

Anytime supply and demand dictates "its a GREAT time to sell!!!!", that also means that its obviously not that great a time to be buying that same thing. At least with buying a tesla new, you dont have to worry about them attempting to put on a dealer adjustment of 5-10k or even more.

Good point. Typically people buy used to save a few bucks, but that's not the case today. Going used also presents some risks (unknown history, supercharging, etc.) that are not built into the used model 3 prices. At least, going new, those risks don't exist and Tesla hasn't bumped up prices accordingly in response to demand. I mean, they easily could.

Reactions: Dre78
Good point. Typically people buy used to save a few bucks, but that's not the case today. Going used also presents some risks (unknown history, supercharging, etc.) that are not built into the used model 3 prices. At least, going new, those risks don't exist and Tesla hasn't bumped up prices accordingly in response to demand. I mean, they easily could.

Buying a used model 3 has not been "that great' a deal for quite some time, not just this year. right now, it makes almost zero sense. Even in 2019 - 2020. every month or so someone would come here and post:
==================
" WTF is with these used model 3 prices?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! I expected to be able to pick up a used one for XX,XXX by now, but they are only a few thousand less than new, or close to new pricing???!??!?!??!?!??!!? "
==================

Right now, it makes very little sense to *plan* to buy a used model 3 to "save a bunch of money". That isnt happening. Even when the market corrects, you wont save a ton buying used, but probably would save a few thousand dollars. Not now, though.

Reactions: Dre78 and whydontwe
I'd add that for Tesla in particular, you are buying tech as well. Buying the newest tech is typically better than last gen tech.

A good example is the heat pump in the 2021 refresh Model 3. For range and efficiency alone, that's probably worth buying new.

And this is coming from a guy who's last new car was in 1993. I hate paying for new cars depreciation, but Tesla's are not normal cars.

I think the chip shortage in general has really driven up used car prices. Unless you need the car now it is much better to wait a couple of months and get a new one built the way you really want it. The wait sucks for sure but really no benefit to getting a used one with the prices right now unless you absolutely need a car. New one will have all the latest tech as well. You will also get a better interest rate on a loan on a new car vs used.