Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used vs New- Is this a good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this ad in the weekly email by Panjo today, does this guy really think adding sales tax and the federal tax credit to his "investment value" is going to not be noticed? I priced a new car out to about $93k after tax credit with the same features,vs his claimed "investment" of $108k. We still have to pay sales tax when buying used and we don't get the $7500 tax credit (or state/local rebates which in some states can be up to $7500 more) so he can't count that as part of his investment.

In my opinion for the slight discount he offers why would you choose his over a brand new one or certified preowned that is less likely to have any issues?

http://www.panjo.com/buy/beautiful-2015-model-s-85d-under-2200-miles-85-000-00-bring-offers-244723

On a side note, for those that want to upgrade from an older car to new P90D, why sell outside Tesla and give up the reduced sales tax from trading in to Tesla? They offer less but paying full sales tax probably offsets that.

I agree that it's probably not the best deal since the seller "valued" it at $108,000. However, in Colorado, it would still be eligible for the $6000 tax credit. That would make it a pretty good deal for Colorado buyers. If the color combination was more to my liking, I would actually consider buying it.

There was a 2015 S90D in California recently that a friend and I both seriously considered. It had some major upgrades pushing the value over $112,000 IIRC. I think it ended up selling for $85,000. Since I am still waiting to see the X in person before deciding on X or S, I held off. I think the one that got that 90D got a steal of a deal.

Last edited:
I agree that it's probably not the best deal since the seller "valued" it at $108,000. However, in Colorado, it would still be eligible for the $6000 tax credit. That would make it a pretty good deal for Colorado buyers. If the color combination was more to my liking, I would actually consider buying it.

There was an S90D in California recently that a friend and I both seriously considered. It had some major upgrades pushing the value over $112,000 IIRC. I think it ended up selling for $85,000. Since I am stil waiting to see the X in person before deciding on X or S, I held off. I think the one that got that 90D got a steal of a deal.

I think I need to move to Colorado haha

Adding sales tax to the "value" of the car is as BS as it gets when quoting the "value" of a car and it is as ridiculous as calling what was paid for the car an "investment value."

If he wanted to "invest" he should have bought TSLA stock :) Acquiring a rapidly depreciating asset is not an investment.

That is a bad deal for an 85D. The brand new price for that car is $99,750 and with rebates it will come to around $89K based on where you live so the discount offered is hardly worthwhile. Might as well pay that extra $4K and buy a brand new 2016 car.

For just $2K more you could have bought a private party P85D about a week ago that sold for $87K.

In the opinion of folks on TMC what is a fair price for the listing? High 70s? Low 80s?

With an 85D currently on the board for $78.5K and a 90D going for 85K recently I would suggest that the seller should be about 79K for his price. Thoughts?

Last edited:
In the opinion of folks on TMC what is a fair price for the listing? High 70s? Low 80s?

With an 85D currently on the board for $78.5K and a 90D going for 85K recently I would suggest that the seller should be about 79K for his price. Thoughts?

Agreed, I also got my 85D on Panjo for the latter minus 2k.

The only thing that I would not take is the air suspension, it will memorize ride height by location and it is only a matter of time before an erros will have you take off the front bumper
on a familiar driveway. Furthermore the Continental adjustable suspensions will fail, that is not bad if you live next to the SC.

It was 19 inch std wheels, titanium metallic, next gen black seats, pano, AP, air suspension, cold weather package, premium interior, black alcantera, 2200 miles. Took delivery in September.

very very nice!

I think I made a mistake taking on the 21" rims on my p85+. I'm looking for 19 inchers for winter and maybe dumping the 21's altogether

I thought so as well... thus I valued the car at $78-80k. Would have been great if it would have worked out. Oh well. There will be more - or I just bite the bullet and buy a new 70D with similar specs. :)

I personally would be patient. at this point new and cpo are on the same level to me.

I have to say Panjo sellers are awful. they don't respond to contact attempts.

this guy http://www.panjo.com/buy/19-oem-tires-rims-tpm-lugs-only-100-miles-212540 does not specify he will not ship or if it "only" local pick up. he just says "local-pickup for orange county buyers" he should state this is a local only sale and must be picked up. I message him and nothing..

The owner of the Panjo listing traded the 85D in for $87K and now the dealer has it marked for sale at $89K. Dealer told me a wholesaler has already offered $83K for it and the dealer turned them down. It'll be interesting to see where it actually sells at.