Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used without pictures, and then touchless delivery experience - better than expected.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am now the proud owner of a 2019 stealth performance 3, blue. I was so nervous about what I might end up with, but it was better than expected.

I already have a 2017 Model X, that I bought used from a private seller....the experience was wonderful. Plenty of pictures, service history, great communication. The transfer of the account was almost instant too (I know I have read others having issues, but we were standing in a parking lot and he removed from his, and I added to mine, and done). The biggest pain in the butt was getting it registered, and a plate (bought in a different state, and covid has the local dmv offices closed. Because of a small snafu with the paperwork, it took a month to get it registered.

I was worried about buying a used Tesla, from Tesla. Biggest concerns - no photos anymore. And then I was worried about the covid induced 'touchless delivery' and lack of an employee at delivery. I was so happy with buying from a private seller with all the photos and communication, and it was very hard for me to just pull the trigger on an unknown used car. I took a leap of faith and did it. 10 short days later I took delivery, it came from Illinois to FL and I thought it would take a lot longer. At the touchless delivery, we were greated by an employee as we pulled up, and greeted by another as we went inside to use the bathroom. Then directed to the car. The car was freshly detailed, and in very good condition. Only flaws were 3 very very small chips on the hood (near the emblem), and some grease stains on the headliner in 3 spots (no big deal at all, I will have clean by tomorrow). Otherwise it was perfect. Included floor mats too, which surprised me (but glad I did not order any before delivery). I noticed the car did not have FSD, which it was supposed to, and the delivery employee said not to worry, it will update shortly...he had me refresh the screen, and FSD was enable....I used it on the drive home!

I guess I am writing this to let others know that there are a lot of scary stories out there about bad delivery experiences, and wanted to add one to the positive side.

Here is a pic. I already have the aero covers off, and the cap kit on. Window tint appointment set for tomorrow morning!

Attachments

• IMG_4889.jpg
    IMG_4889.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 161
I'm still surprised that I pulled the trigger on it without pictures, and a worry about the delivery process. I am glad I did though.

I paid $50,800 for it, plus $500 delivery. It has 15k miles. FSD.

I just looked at the 15k savings over ordering a new performance one (I like the cap kit look of the wheels, and prefer the ride of the 18" wheels too, so I realize maybe only 11k difference with the wheels, suspension and brakes...but I have no plans to track it - I have a racecar already for that!!)...and thought it was worth the risk for the savings. I told myself, any issues I incur will still be under warranty, and hopefully there are not too many cosmetic issues.

momo - rejecting - If I would have been smarter, I would have waited to pay for it until after I was inspecting it...I paid for the car before delivery because it said I had to pay, but I think it could have waited... (they send the payment total and ask to be paid saying that it can take time for the transfer). I kind of wished I was even using a loan, for a bit of protection on them getting money when I accept delivery...but it all worked out well.

I agree, aahlun, its insane to buy without pics. They really need to add them. At least maybe this post will help someone know that it was so darn pretty and detailed when I got it...and drove really smooth too.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Congrats. Glad you had a positive experience. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I ordered a used 2018 M3 LR AWD, FSD, ACC Boost, grey with white interior that was at another dealership about an hour away. It was about the same 10 days or so to transport to the dealer close to me. I started getting calls from my advisor about aftermarket stuff that was on the car. Come to find out it had an auto trunk and frunk closer. I said to leave it on as long as it wasn't going to mess with any warranty issues. They said ok and seemed to be going that direction. A day later I get another call from the advisor saying that the car wasn't actually grey, that it was wrapped in a satin color, they'd have to remove the wrap. I said ok great the paint must be well protected underneath. Then by the end of that week I got the message that my appointment for pickup was Saturday at 10am. We showed up and were greeted by the lot guy who said he'd go grab the car and bring it up. Next thing the Operations manager comes out and says that the car is not being sold and is on the way to auction. WTF! I showed him the touchless delivery appointment text and he just shrugged his shoulders and kept apologizing. Total *sugar* show on how that car even made it onto the site to be sold when they obviously did not even inspect it before hand to see if it was even eligible to be sold.

So now my advisor has found another one in the same price range and options but it's in California and I'm in Maryland. Same price and spec and they're shipping it for free. I placed the order on Dec 1 for this one. I'm figuring a month from now it will arrive at the rate they are moving. It has not begun to transport yet. I'm crossing my fingers that I have some luck and its in good shape. I'm also skeptical on buying something with no communication or pics. I did not pay them anything besides the deposit yet so there's that. If it's a mess I'll refuse it and just go the new route. We will see!

Glad you had a good experience. . . . like Joe L says - all they can do is say - you want the car? Take it or leave it - no true sales effort. Tesla operates STILL - three years after we bought Blue Tessie - like everyone is a fan boy. They're gonna get killed. . . .

@Jester~ - was a cashiers check an option? I don't give anyone money for a car without seeing it in the flesh. We got a lot of pressure from the close out people to wire them money - and I said would you give someone $37k sight unseen? If we gave them the $$$ what final assembly under warranty leverage do you have?

@Jester~ - was a cashiers check an option?

I dont remember the initial options, but I do remember the electronic check was their preferred method of payment. After I paid, they sent an email that said this: "If there is a remaining balance on your account, please pay by another electronic bank account debit or bring a check when picking up your Tesla." I would think they only mean that for smaller amounts due...but it is possible they would accept a cashiers check for a larger amount. Although, in real estate, they no longer accept anything except a wire...so maybe they wouldn't.

Congrats. Glad you had a positive experience. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I ordered a used 2018 M3 LR AWD, FSD, ACC Boost, grey with white interior that was at another dealership about an hour away. It was about the same 10 days or so to transport to the dealer close to me. I started getting calls from my advisor about aftermarket stuff that was on the car. Come to find out it had an auto trunk and frunk closer. I said to leave it on as long as it wasn't going to mess with any warranty issues. They said ok and seemed to be going that direction. A day later I get another call from the advisor saying that the car wasn't actually grey, that it was wrapped in a satin color, they'd have to remove the wrap. I said ok great the paint must be well protected underneath. Then by the end of that week I got the message that my appointment for pickup was Saturday at 10am. We showed up and were greeted by the lot guy who said he'd go grab the car and bring it up. Next thing the Operations manager comes out and says that the car is not being sold and is on the way to auction. WTF! I showed him the touchless delivery appointment text and he just shrugged his shoulders and kept apologizing. Total *sugar* show on how that car even made it onto the site to be sold when they obviously did not even inspect it before hand to see if it was even eligible to be sold.

So now my advisor has found another one in the same price range and options but it's in California and I'm in Maryland. Same price and spec and they're shipping it for free. I placed the order on Dec 1 for this one. I'm figuring a month from now it will arrive at the rate they are moving. It has not begun to transport yet. I'm crossing my fingers that I have some luck and its in good shape. I'm also skeptical on buying something with no communication or pics. I did not pay them anything besides the deposit yet so there's that. If it's a mess I'll refuse it and just go the new route. We will see!

That is crazy! I would have loved the power trunk and frunk included.. I was crossing my fingers for a prior owner tinting the windows...but no luck. It's ok, now it is the way I want it.

You should have OK-ed the satin wrap! It looks better anyways!

I bet when they removed the wrap, it messed the paint up?

I dont remember the initial options, but I do remember the electronic check was their preferred method of payment. After I paid, they sent an email that said this: "If there is a remaining balance on your account, please pay by another electronic bank account debit or bring a check when picking up your Tesla." I would think they only mean that for smaller amounts due...but it is possible they would accept a cashiers check for a larger amount. Although, in real estate, they no longer accept anything except a wire...so maybe they wouldn't.
They take a cashiers check - from a bank they can verify.

As for real estate - gotta have the money in hand before title changes hands. Way too much fraud in the 90s. Car dealers sell cars everyday with cashiers checks - plus they don't process the paperwork until the check clears. I have used a credit card to buy sub $20k vehicles - you just negotiate the fee as part of the deal. I had one dealer refuse to take my credit card - would not under any circumstances take a card. Must have gotten burned in the past.

man this is not what I want to hear lol. If the second one is a mess, you’re SOL on the deposit I’m assuming? Unless you buy a new car? I do think that Tesla used inventory for dual motor with ACC boost and FSD is pretty fair and tempting. I’m looking at a similar config as well