Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used X - info in 75d v 90d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla Folks! Good news, bad news here...Just totaled my 2018 Model 3. I bought it this past March and loved everything about it. I was rear ended by a Ford F550 utility/bucket truck. Guy was probably going 30-40 and accelerating while he hit me. Dash cam got it all. I was pushed into the next 2 cars in front of me. No doubt in my mind being in the 3 saved me from serious injury.

So I'll never drive anything else.

I have 3 kids so we always talked about getting an X. The new ones are still out of our price range, but the 2016 and 17's X's are hitting the sweet spots for us now.

What kind of info do I need to know about the 75d and 90d now? I know bigger battery and longer range...I get all that. What has degradation been like in these that are now 3-4 year old? Is one performing better than the other? Any other issues I need to be on the look out for?

I would assuming buying from Telsa's "existing inventory" is the best bet?

Anything else I need to know about?

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: E Dizzle
The guy is asking about the X 75D vs 90D....

I was in your position as well a few weeks ago. 75D or 90D???

supposedly the 90s have a bad rep for degradation. New, it’s supposed to get 250 miles.
During my search, 90% charge ranged from 205-220 miles. My wife’s X P90DL is at 208.

The 75D on the other hand is supposed to give you 237 miles when new. I’ve seen the 90% ranging from 195-210 from various sellers.

the performance is very similar. The 90D does 0-60 in 4.8 vs the 75D’s 4.9. 75D maxes out at 135mph vs 155mph. ( there’s no need to really do over 100mph, not even in my wife’s P90DL)

the 75D is a bit lighter due to the battery weight. Generally the 75D is cheaper. So I went with the 75D.

Tesla used inventory prices are dropping into the high $50k comes with warranty and free unlimited supercharging. Unless you can find a great deal from a private owner, I suggest buying it from tesla.

Well, your 3 had HW 2.5 at least. Unless you want less capability than you already had, you need to buy as new - build date wise.
Maybe this will help you sort it out.
Timelines for Vehicles and Variants | TeslaTap

I didn't use Autopilot in my 3 and never intended to upgrade. No biggie to me, most these used X's have some sort of AP so anything is an upgrade to me.

Sounds like you’d love the Y - maybe you can find something to cover you for 6 months

If it were out I'd have to consider. I have a 9 yo, 7 yo and a 4 year old in a Car Seat. The 3 could handle, but the kids would get super antsy being that close. If I can buy a used X for about what a new 3 costs I'd prefer to upgrade.

Its the downgrade in tech that worries me a little. But the X is the best fit for my family right now. Plus walking away from the crash I did, I would much rather all be sitting in the bigger X.

If you’re not using autopilot then it’s not really much of a downgrade in tech, its an upgrade in some areas actually. I have a 2018 performance model 3 with AP2.5 and a 2016 model x 75d with AP1. I actually recently bought the X used because the prices were finally dropping. My experience so far is it’s fantastic for families (especially the 6 seat layout) I love the ease of getting my kids in and out of the FWD’s. Having all doors auto open/close is really nice. It’s so versatile with seating arrangements and storage, you won’t miss the model 3, especially for family use. Yes the model 3 has newer tech in some areas but the model x makes up for it in family ergonomics. I love both cars, but if it’s a day out with the kids - Model X it is.

The guy is asking about the X 75D vs 90D....

I was in your position as well a few weeks ago. 75D or 90D???

75 is a great pack. It charges fast and holds up very well. If i do the classic computation (avg consumption / remaining range) / soc %, my pack has 71.5kWh remaining of the original 72.9. I have 68000km on the clock and the car is two years old. The car was also always charged to 90% and I have used my share of the superchargers...

Reactions: E Dizzle and j_beas
I recently had the same debate and went with the 75D. At
The end of the day (for me), it was a value decision. My 2017 still reads 204 miles at a 90% charge, granted it only has 16k miles on it. The similar mileage, $$$ savings and still solid acceleration made it a no brainer for me. If the cost had been the same, I might’ve made a different choice.

I have a model x 75d and a 3 LR AWD. I regret not opting for the 100d in hindsight after several long cross country trips. Currently at 57K miles, my 90% is at 204. Real world range is even less at Texas highway speeds and my vain 22” wheels.

You will want the biggest battery possible if you plan on doing any road trips with the kids. The older xs are nowhere near as efficient as the 3, you will feel the crunch significantly on long road trips, especially in areas where highway speeds are 70+, the jumps are longer and you are charging up into the 90%+ to make the leap. Not only that but charging speed gets reduced at a certain point in the life of the vehicle making the wait longer. Coming from a 3 it will feel like an eternity. An example is a trip from El Paso, TX to Tucson, AZ. Model X we spend a solid hour and fifteen to twenty minutes charging. In our 3 it’s around 12 minutes total. I don’t mind charging, but I really hate trickle charging at the higher end of SOC. If you plan on zero road trips ignore this paragraph for the most part.

Also as other have mentioned, try to get at least a HW 2.5, and preferably a MCU2 if it fits in budget. It will keep your car relevant longer.

I am getting 75D this week. I chose to save money as my car is a Bay Area commuter. I am lucky enough to live a mile from a supercharger and there are chargers about every 15-20 miles up and down the Bay Area. Definitely get the longer range if you plan on doing road trips. But if you are doing local trips where supercharger are everywhere...75D will be sufficient

Reactions: E Dizzle and j_beas
I am getting 75D this week. I chose to save money as my car is a Bay Area commuter. I am lucky enough to live a mile from a supercharger and there are chargers about every 15-20 miles up and down the Bay Area. Definitely get the longer range if you plan on doing road trips. But if you are doing local trips where supercharger are everywhere...75D will be sufficient

totally agree, would caveat though, my last trip down into the Bay Area a lot of SC had decent lines. Lot of people eat dinner and head to their nearest supercharger to get free electricity and take a walk. Not here to argue about the right or wrongs about it. What it does mean for the traveler depending on such chargers is waiting. Smaller pack means more waiting, or sometimes having to get up early or after dropping family off at hotel to charge. Can mitigate some of it by find a hotel with EV charging but even in areas with dense SC, understand that also likely means there are a lot of Tesla owners as well.

a larger pack lets you skip more, or be more choosy with your charging locations.

Reactions: E Dizzle