Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used X/S or new Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We already have a 2017 X75. Looking for a second car, selling our BMW i3. Would you recommend getting a used 2nd X/S or brand new Y if price was roughly the same for all three? I've never driven or even sat in a Y, but I think it looks great. But the options on the X and S are very appealing. Anyone had to make a similar choice on Y vs X/S?

I could use more range, and we're only a 2 person family. I don't think getting a 2nd X makes any sense. But I don't want to trade/sell my current X to get newer one. We need a 2nd car.

@snoopycr ,

I would get the Y. It has newer tech than the S/X. Of course, the S and X have there advantages as well, but you already have an X, so you already have that covered. I have an S and a 3, and really like being able to drive both.

GSP

Reactions: E Dizzle
I just had to do the exact same comparison and we landed on a used X. Yes the prices are insane but the value was worth it to us and probably won't see crazy depreciation over the years we own it. We needed something that could traverse 9+ inches of snow and we wanted something that could tow a bit more than the Y could. The usable third row also was very important. And believe it or not the FWD were a huge plus for us since we have a toddler that is hard to wrangle at time.
But our situation is very different than yours (OP). You already have an X with those features and could absolutely having one shorter range and one longer range Tesla. We also have a 3 so that is our long range vehicle.

That's why we ordered an X too - longtime pickup man here and hoping the X can sub in for pickup things once in a while. Also, wifebot likes the X inside a LOT more. To her, the fashion-aware person in the family, the X/S is a Finer Thing and the Y/3 looks more like a commodity, which is a pretty spot-on observation for a non-car-obsessed person and pretty much captures the difference, even if it misses the dynamic superiority of the Y/3 in a lot of key areas thanks to the smaller size, lighter weight. Finer Things are usually a little silly and pointless and over-the-top, and the X is no exception

You can't hardly touch an X around here (and by around I mean a 250 mile radius!) for under $60k and the ones that do get down there are either certified pre-crashed or 60D's. They sell in hours. It's nuts. Good for you for finding a suitable used one - I agree I think values will hang in there pretty well. I didn't really *need* the range of the LR+, but for the choices near me, and the downside depreciation risk being relatively small with zero 2019+ inventory within 500 miles of me, it was an easy call to just order new.

For the OP's mission, Y seems ideal

Last edited:
Reactions: HyperionMark
We already have a 2017 X75. Looking for a second car, selling our BMW i3. Would you recommend getting a used 2nd X/S or brand new Y if price was roughly the same for all three? I've never driven or even sat in a Y, but I think it looks great. But the options on the X and S are very appealing. Anyone had to make a similar choice on Y vs X/S?

I could use more range, and we're only a 2 person family. I don't think getting a 2nd X makes any sense. But I don't want to trade/sell my current X to get newer one. We need a 2nd car.

I just did this comparison (see link below) and test drove a new Model X and Y. The Model Y would be a great option. The Model Y LR will get about 100 extra miles of range and be more efficient than your MX 75D. I agree getting a 2nd used X does not make much sense.

Review: '17 MX P vs. '20 MX P vs. '20 MY P-

Reactions: elguapo
I have owned all three.
I love the speed of the S
I love the size of the X
I love the practicality of the Y.

After driving the X and the Y (current), I can no longer bring myself to getting into a normal sedan. They are just too low. It's not that they are impossible, it's just that the SUV is so much easier to get in and out of and drive for the following reasons:

1) You can sit down, turn around and you're in and ready to go.
2) You can turn sideways and you are out.
3) You can control your height (on the X)
4) Your visibility on the X and Y are remarkably improved leaving you feeling like you have command of the road.
5) There are also probably some safety advantages in being higher off the road (no slipping under semis)

I realize this is personal preference, but with each year you add, getting in and out of the low sedan is going to be increasingly more aggravating. (Why do you think FORD is no longer making regular cars.) SUV sales are consuming greater amounts of the vehicle market each year.

Why did I choose to settle on the Model Y after owning two Model Xs? Largely value. I can own two Ys for the price of an X.
I have had my fun with the X Raven, setting the World's quickest SUV record and I have played as many Christmas entertainment sessions as I could with flapping wings. But the Model Y has at least 85% of the capabilities (No air suspension, no falcon wings, no superfast Raven, not huge) of the X at half the price and it fully meets my needs.

If $$$$s are no issue, get the X and enjoy it. If value is your thing, get a Y.

Reliability: With the S, 2Xs, Y, and a 3, I only have had about five visits to the service center combined.
They replaced the motor on my S a few weeks before I sold it, due to a slight hum.
They replaced the main battery on one of the Xs because it wouldn't charge.
Other than that primarily tires and minor issues. The most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.
The only fluid you put in the vehicle is water for the windshield washers and it is so nice not to have to change oil.
I never had an issue with falcon doors in both Xs and yes they are cool.

One thing I do miss on the X is the automatic opening and closing of the front doors. It is so nice to walk away and see the door close itself. So many people say, "Hey you forgot to close your door! No, I didn't. As it closes itself. It is also nice to get in and touch the brake and have the door close itself.

The AC in all of them works great, impressing me, even with the total glass roof. Sound deadening in the Y is great with increased insulation and double pane laminate windows in the front.

Headlights have continually improved. Great range.

Quality has dramatically improved on all models.

Recommend PPF for the front up to the side mirrors. Lifesaver.

On any model, I wouldn't recommend the FSD. Not worth it unless you plan to share the vehicle. The basic autopilot is fine. I never used the auto park anyway. And the features certainly aren't worth $10K. You can hire a chauffer for that.

There you have it. Get one fast. You are going to say, "OMG, why didn't I do this earlier!"

Of course, I'll only be keeping my Y until my CYBRTRK is delivered.

That's why we ordered an X too - longtime pickup man here and hoping the X can sub in for pickup things once in a while. Also, wifebot likes the X inside a LOT more. To her, the fashion-aware person in the family, the X/S is a Finer Thing and the Y/3 looks more like a commodity, which is a pretty spot-on observation for a non-car-obsessed person and pretty much captures the difference, even if it misses the dynamic superiority of the Y/3 in a lot of key areas thanks to the smaller size, lighter weight. Finer Things are usually a little silly and pointless and over-the-top, and the X is no exception

You can't hardly touch an X around here (and by around I mean a 250 mile radius!) for under $60k and the ones that do get down there are either certified pre-crashed or 60D's. They sell in hours. It's nuts. Good for you for finding a suitable used one - I agree I think values will hang in there pretty well. I didn't really *need* the range of the LR+, but for the choices near me, and the downside depreciation risk being relatively small with zero 2019+ inventory within 500 miles of me, it was an easy call to just order new.

For the OP's mission, Y seems ideal
Agree they are hard to come by and hold their value. I advertised my 2019 Raven with 20k miles for $89,500 and someone 6 miles away gave me $90,000 cash.

If it's an X with range you're looking for, in my recent search, the cheapest long range X (300+ miles) I saw was $82K, and it was well worn. Lucked out and found a 2020 LRPX.

We have a 2018 LR M3, so the Y didn't make sense for us and the toddler. Conversely, if we had a used X, a new 3 or Y would make perfect sense.

mid to late 2018 Model X 100D has range, MCU2, and vegan seats. Maybe $68K with 1 year full warranty remaining.
Two things keep me from getting the Y. 1) Bumpy suspension/harsh ride like my 3, and
2) I want the car to change lanes on autopilot like my 3 does, and that costs $10K on the Y. But used X with EAP can do it.
Not really looking to spend $63K on a possibly bumpy Y (price with FSD so it changes lanes).

I have a Y and love it- though I would agree that the suspension is rougher than an S/X; but that said my vote would be for a Y because of the upgraded charger/ quicker charging times at superchargers vs older S/X.
I had the super air suspension Model X and it was great, but I really don't notice that much of a difference in the ride with the Model Y, other than going up and down at the steep Mickey Ds entrance. Have you tried different tires? Factory Continentals are garbage with a 7/10 rating out of the factory. Nexen makes a cheap tire with a great ride.

I have an X. Get the Y. It's a much better car than a used X will be. Here is the proper order for Electric SUV's right now:

New Model X (Delayed) > New Model Y > Used Model Y > Used Model X > Mustang Mach-E > VW ID.4 > Taycan CrossTurismo (not an SUV but still as practical) > Literally any other car > Audi e-Tron (slow & unpractical car)
Love this list -- if I had the money though, that Taycan CrossTurismo would be really tempting and I might slip that in a bit higher.

Love this list -- if I had the money though, that Taycan CrossTurismo would be really tempting and I might slip that in a bit higher.
I agree... Taycan's are the best non-Tesla EV hands down. It's lower in the list primarily because:
  1. It's not truly an SUV, it's still downright tiny, even in wagon form
  2. It's expensive. Not like normal expensive, but more so— it's literally like buying BOTH a Model S & Model X, and that's before options.

Reactions: El joe