Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Useful device for small capacity electrical services

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
if you have a small electrical panel or service from the electric company (condo owner or older house), then this company/device may save you upgrading your panel if you want to install a 240V circuit for charging.

The DCC charge controller comes in two varieties that basically turns on and off power to your car charging circuit if your panel or service is close to exceeding its capacity (80% of capacity). This means you could install an up to 50 A breaker on a 100 A panel and regardless of panel load, still be sure you wouldn’t blow the main breaker or exceed panel capacity.

The DCC-9 or DCC-10 (one is used inline, the other as a remote panel off the main), costs around $1000 and would be cheaper than a service upgrade. In the case of a condo, you wouldn’t be able to get a service upgrade, so this would be your only viable option.

DCC Technology - Energy Management System for Electric Vehicle DCC CONDO AND DCC HOME

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec and BerTX
I'm about to receive my model X and contacted a local electrician here specialized in installing Tesla equipment. He recommended the same thing for me as my 200A panel is already at full capacity. Any one have had this installed? How did you find it? Working great? Cutting too often? Especially in winter? For information, I'm in Québec, Canada, where we have pretty intense winters ;)