Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Useful things I've learned about the P85D (but can't share in the TM Forums!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few things I've picked up / noticed / discovered about the P85D, some of which relate to ongoing discussions in the currently-unavailable TM forums:

1. The design studio is back up for the UK, and the P85D is £106k fully loaded. That's only about £5k more than the P85+ fully loaded which feels pretty fair I'd say.

2. UK delivery of P85D is July 2015, but the usual 2 week grace period applies for ordering. Once you place your deposit and wait 14 days it's committed and not refundable.

3. The autopilot functions rely on an all new electromechanical braking system. This must be the absolute final nail in the coffin of any suggestion that these features could ever be economically retrofitted to older cars.

4. From watching videos I don't think I've heard any tyre squeal, or seen any traction control warnings flashing during P85D 0-60 runs. That's very impressive indeed.

5. Rumour has it that the frunk is a bit smaller in D variants, but not as much as you might think. Definitely there's still a significant amount of storage up front.

6. The P85D will have a motorised charge port door open/close function. Heaven knows why this feature should just apply to this car.

6. The P85D will have a motorised charge port door open/close function. Heaven knows why this feature should just apply to this car.

because a feature that Tesla has yet to develop is that the car will be able to "unplug itself" and will autopilit self-drive itself up to your front door all prewarmed up and everything. most likely all cars will have this feature, not just the 'D' versions...

because a feature that Tesla has yet to develop is that the car will be able to "unplug itself" and will autopilit self-drive itself up to your front door all prewarmed up and everything. most likely all cars will have this feature, not just the 'D' versions...

Ah right I've re-read the blog article, and what it's saying is that this feature will be on all cars but will not become available until they start delivering the D models (whereas all the other listed improvements apply from now, across the board).