Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Useless Setec Power CCS1 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Radlaw

Charles
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2018
San Diego California
A couple years ago, I purchased a Setec Power CCS1 charging adapter. After many attempts, I could not get it to work. After doing some research on this forum, I thought it was because my car was not CCS enabled. (I since found out that it does not have to be for this adapter.) I contacted Lectron and requested a firmware update. After many attempts, I was unable to download the update. Lectron was not able to correct the firmware update error. I since updated the ECU and my 2018 Tesla 3 is CCS enabled. I was wondering: 1) has anybody had the same or similiar problem and 2) does anyone have any tricks, roundabouts or ideas on how to get my adapter to work.
Setec Power CCS1 Adapter.jpg

You're right, you did not need to be CCS enabled to use this as it emulates CHAdeMO. It has electronics inside. Tesla have blocked this adapter a few times as they deem it unsafe because there's no direct link between the car's locking latch and the CCS handle latch. Technically under some circumstances there could be a dangerous arc.

Since you have CCS enabled in your car, you just don't need this type of adapter anymore. You could do with a simple "passthrough" CCS adapter like Tesla and some 3rd parties have done.

You *might* be able to make it work by gutting the internal electronics and hardwiring it internally like the Tesla passive one does. I would personally not attempt this. Otherwise, you have a great paperweight...unless someone else has a better idea.

1) Since you have CCS enabled in your car, you just don't need this type of adapter anymore. You could do with a simple "passthrough" CCS adapter like Tesla and some 3rd parties have done.

2) You *might* be able to make it work by gutting the internal electronics and hardwiring it internally like the Tesla passive one does. I would personally not attempt this. Otherwise, you have a great paperweight...unless someone else has a better idea.
I have ordered a "passthrough" CCS1 adapter and just waiting for it. I would like to get the old one working and sell or give it away. I'm retired and don't have any papers that need a weight. ;)

A couple years ago, I purchased a Setec Power CCS1 charging adapter. After many attempts, I could not get it to work. After doing some research on this forum, I thought it was because my car was not CCS enabled. (I since found out that it does not have to be for this adapter.) I contacted Lectron and requested a firmware update. After many attempts, I was unable to download the update. Lectron was not able to correct the firmware update error. I since updated the ECU and my 2018 Tesla 3 is CCS enabled. I was wondering: 1) has anybody had the same or similiar problem and 2) does anyone have any tricks, roundabouts or ideas on how to get my adapter to work.
View attachment 852842
The Setec one is not good. Tesla actively tries to block the Setec adapter because it is dangerous. There is another brand that works and that Tesla allows to work on its cars because it locks and the Setec doesn't.

Is the adapter detected by the computer at all? The adapter actually has a lithium ion battery cell inside and if that died it might not work. You can try opening it and using the voltage of the battery cell with a voltmeter. If it's dead, it can be replaced (or recharged if not too low).

Otherwise, the Setec can actually be made into a passive adapter that will work with a CCS enabled Tesla, but that is not recommended unless you have experience because a very high amount of voltage and current flows through it.

This one also won't download to me. It's probably my computer. I even removed firewalls. I'll just wait for my Hansshow CCS1 adapter to come.
Try a different browser, or turn off the protections on your existing browser. A lot of browser nowadays does automatic scanning and will blocks suspicious files from being downloaded. Also you may need to turn off your antivirus. The program Setec uses is some legacy program that a lot of antivirus may flag.

Is the adapter detected by the computer at all? The adapter actually has a lithium ion battery cell inside and if that died it might not work. You can try opening it and using the voltage of the battery cell with a voltmeter. If it's dead, it can be replaced (or recharged if not too low).

Otherwise, the Setec can actually be made into a passive adapter that will work with a CCS enabled Tesla, but that is not recommended unless you have experience because a very high amount of voltage and current flows through it.
I don't think it's detected by the computer. When I plug it into the computer, nothing happens. No message that a new device has been detected. Before I tried to update the firmware, I charged the adapter overnight. Still, no go. I think I'm going to let it go. Cie la vie.

I don't think it's detected by the computer. When I plug it into the computer, nothing happens. No message that a new device has been detected. Before I tried to update the firmware, I charged the adapter overnight. Still, no go. I think I'm going to let it go. Cie la vie.
Presuming you were able to download the software, try a different cable. It's been reported people have had issues when using different USB cables. Not all of them are built the same (some are power only, some have shielding, some do not, etc).

As mentioned inside has a battery also. I forgot about that. If that battery died, it won't work. You would need to charge it back up.

Reactions: GtiMart
"Unhandled exception has occured in your application.
InvalidArgument=Value of "0" is not valid for 'Selected index'.
Parameter name: selected index"
Are you saying your browser shows that when you try to download the exe file? Or are you saying it does that after it runs (which means you have successfully downloaded it)?

Did you perhaps have your browser set to autorun instead of just downloading the file?

Maybe you need to install a different internet browser and try the download again.

Are you saying your browser shows that when you try to download the exe file? Or are you saying it does that after it runs (which means you have successfully downloaded it)?

Did you perhaps have your browser set to autorun instead of just downloading the file?

Maybe you need to install a different internet browser and try the download again.
1) When I try to download the exe file
2) Downloading the file
3) I did try different browsers & different computers

1) When I try to download the exe file
2) Downloading the file
3) I did try different browsers & different computers
That doesn't make sense as an error message for a browser. That seems more like what might show when running an executable. Maybe it is your antivirus crashing?

Anyways if you ever get the exe downloaded it to your computer, these are the instructions to install them. The exe file has the driver, which after it is installed, the computer would then be able to detect the adapter.

The manual also has instructions on how to charge the adapter back up if it ran out of charge and also what the led status light means:

This isn’t going to be paperweight if you could get it working (and Tesla doesn’t block it again) because there are salvage cars that can CHADEMO charge but not supercharge. With the scarcity of CHADEMO and abundance of CCS, I’d think it would be handy on those cars. Especially ones that aren’t getting newer firmware.

Unfortunate that it is a dangerous design.

Last edited:
Reactions: ph0ton and GtiMart