Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

User Experience case study for Tesla UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zdre

40kWh Model S, Model 3LR
Jan 18, 2010
St. Louis
(zdre's wife)
I am a UX Design student doing a class research project on the Tesla user interface.
This research will be used to prototype any potential improvements to the UI functionality and/or layout.

I would like to ask the amazing Tesla community to provide some feedback on the current UI by filling out a survey!
The survey should take approximately 5-10 minutes. The survey does not collect emails, and the individual responses will not be shared.

Thank you for helping me to complete this assignment!

Here is the link to the survey in google forms:
UX Tesla Case Study

The touch screen centric nature of a Tesla is what grabs a lot of attention, but I think people are missing the bigger picture.

What makes Tesla special is the UX, and not the UI. I'm not a UX researcher, but as I understand it UX is about the total experience with a brand.

I don't know of another company outside of perhaps Apple that does a better job of UX.

The way the phone, and the car interact.

Charging at home with the Tesla charger possibly using a Tesla solar roof to contribute
Charging at a supercharger, and not having to enter any information. Just plug in, and it immediately starts charging.
Charging at a destination charger where its seamless.

You can do nifty things like sending a destination address from the phone to the car.

There are certainly things that could use some improvement like Trip planning on a computer using the Tesla website. It's pretty terrible.

But, all in all Tesla really nailed UX.

Unlike Facebook where you seriously have to wonder what the UX people there are even thinking.

Too much personal information.

The only information that it asks for that's either not relevant to the study or you don't freely give out is the name.

TMC forum handle is useful for additional questions, but I think that one you can safely say N/A.

Gender is relevant to a study of UI
Age is relevant to the study of UI
Country you freely give
ZIP code is just really city/state
Instead of length of drive I would have used Mileage driven.

question: are you 'rachel, from cardservices', by any chance ?

you are asking for a lot of info, but you don't give much about your project, who gets the info, what they plan to do with it, and how we are able to get our own model 3 miniature.

(scrap that last part. that was for another thread)

;)

The only information that it asks for that's either not relevant to the study or you don't freely give out is the name.

TMC forum handle is useful for additional questions, but I think that one you can safely say N/A.

Gender is relevant to a study of UI
Age is relevant to the study of UI
Country you freely give
ZIP code is just really city/state
Instead of length of drive I would have used Mileage driven.
I'm just saying I don't feel comfortable encouraging this lack of data hygiene. People doing research should not need this explained to them - they should have explicit training on this stuff.

I'm just saying I don't feel comfortable encouraging this lack of data hygiene. People doing research should not need this explained to them - they should have explicit training on this stuff.

I guess I'm confused as to what you expecting.

My take on it was it was a pretty informal survey meant for a class research project. I personally didn't mind giving that info out because most it was already readily available from my TMC profile. I felt like most of what was requested was essential, and anything that wasn't like name could simply be filled in with N/A or something like that. I do think they picked the wrong tool. I think survey monkey would have been a better option.

I can certainly understand not feeling comfortable with giving out certain data, and not filling it out. But, if you're going to go as far as vocalizing it you should state what exactly you feel uncomfortable with.

There is a big cultural difference in how personal data is collected, and shared in a European country versus an American country. Where the Europeans have protections that Americans simply don't have. In the US most of the stuff tends to be opt-out. Like Tesla's data collection you have to opt out of. If I'm not mistaken its the other way around in European countries.

What makes Tesla special is the UX, and not the UI. I'm not a UX researcher, but as I understand it UX is about the total experience with a brand.
I don't know of another company outside of perhaps Apple that does a better job of UX.

Thank you so much to those of you that have taken the time to help me with me with my project! Your responses have been very helpful!

In response to the other questions and thoughts... I am only asking questions that are relevant to my study. The zip code is used to map out the different responses based on the climate and the zip code just makes that process much easier.

Zip/post code field expects numeric only. Survey won't work in several countries unless dummy answer used and I presume since you ask for country you are expecting a global response.
Thanks for mentioning the postal code issue! I have removed the numeric validation. Google is too smart for its own good!

Although Tesla's UX/UI is pretty amazing, there is always room for some improvement. I figured if I could make something that it is already amazing even better, then I will have achieved something pretty awesome, especially as a student! Through this survey I have found that there is definitely room for some tweaking that could take the interface to the next level. I am excited to take this research and create a prototype with my ideas.

That being said please note, the responses are purely used to assist me in my study about the UX/UI of the Tesla interface. I am not affiliated with Tesla other than being an owner. I am just a student working on a cool project for my portfolio! :)

Thank you again for all the support!
-Rachel from cardservices ;)