Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

User interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I took delivery of my Tesla 3, audio selections and GPS commands are sporadically intermittent and or inaccurate.
I've taken it back 10 or 11 times. I have shown them videos of the car simply ignoring commands to the GPS
and requested songs or stations. For example, if I ask it to play "Born this Way" by Lady Gaga it will (a) do nothing, (b) choose an entirely different song or artist, or (c) go to a page showing generic podcasts, or (d) actually play the song requested. It's anybody's guess what it will do next.
In navigation function, about a third of the time it will ignore a voice request.
When I reset the car using the two buttons on the steering wheel, usually everything works alright as long as I don't turn the car off. But, when I re-enter the car, it's anybody's guess as to what's going to happen and where.
Also, tthe connectivity when using audio selections cuts in and out far more often than it did a few months ago. I get that annoying little circle, which can last for a 10th of a mile or half a mile.
Tesla tells me there's a download coming "soon" that will correct this problem. They have been telling me that for 15 months.
Do any of you out there experience similar situations, and if so, what solutions if any did you encounter?

You have taken your car in for these issues 10 or 11 times! Geesh.

I can’t speak to all your issues, but your audio behavior is expected if you are using only the streaming app and not Spotify. The arrangement Tesla has with Slacker (which now has a new name but it escapes me) allows for playing the requested song only once every period of time. Ask it again and it will play songs “similar”. Continually to ask for a specific song, even different songs, will result in similar songs played due to licensing. You should see “your song title” radio in grey which means it heard you correctly, but it can’t comply so it does the best it can. It’s a licensing and royalty payment issue and not likely to change.

If you want it to play your song each and every time, subscribe to Spotify whose licensing allows this sort of thing. Of course, many (including me) have to manually select Spotify first before requesting the song. For some reason the search does not work (spoken or typed) until Spotify first initializes. But once it does, it works reasonably well.

thank you for the tip about selecting spotify first. But I have a problem with spotify - I'm paying the monthly fee but I cannot coordinate my desktop computer with my Tesla software. So stuff I have stored on my computer is not accessible in the Tesla. Any thoughts, please?

Hmm. What’s missing from the Tesla software? At a minimum, you should have playlists, albums, artists, and songs. The Tesla interface has not added podcasts yet to my knowledge (unless you make it a part of a playlist-I think).

The Tesla Spotify implementation is very basic. But you should be able to get it to play any song via voice command and sync your playlists at a minimum.