Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uses for the Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I am trying to conduct a survey on the primary uses of the frunk and if there are ways to better utilize that space. I have a quick 3 question survey that would be very helpful if you could take.

Tesla Frunk Usage

No personal information will be collected or asked, just curious what people are using that space for :)

Thanks!

Hi!

I am trying to conduct a survey on the primary uses of the frunk and if there are ways to better utilize that space. I have a quick 3 question survey that would be very helpful if you could take.

Tesla Frunk Usage

No personal information will be collected or asked, just curious what people are using that space for :)

Thanks!

The only use I have found for my frunk is to hold the carpeted liner I ordered for it. Most of the junk I keep in the sub trunk in the back.

Reactions: WarpedOne
After all the horror stories about bent frunk lids from closing I just never bothered using it for anything- haven't run out of space in the trunk/sub-trunk yet to where it mattered, and it's easier to open and close than the frunk anyway.

After all the horror stories about bent frunk lids from closing I just never bothered using it for anything

These stories are primarily a consequence of a too strong a spring that "resists" closing (and lifts the hood when you press the button).
I guess it is designed to lift the hood with 2 feet of heavy snow on top of it.
As we do not get much snowfall where I live I've modified the spring to be a bit weaker.
Now the hood pops up with less noise and I can close it with one hand with no bending or fear of bending.

The modification is simple... the spring was quite stretched even in open position.
I've added a 0.5" diameter spacer to its end to lessen its 'pretension'.
I can post some pics later if anyone is interested.

These stories are primarily a consequence of a too strong a spring that "resists" closing (and lifts the hood when you press the button).
I guess it is designed to lift the hood with 2 feet of heavy snow on top of it.
As we do not get much snowfall where I live I've modified the spring to be a bit weaker.
Now the hood pops up with less noise and I can close it with one hand with no bending or fear of bending.

The modification is simple... the spring was quite stretched even in open position.
I've added a 0.5" diameter spacer to its end to lessen its 'pretension'.
I can post some pics later if anyone is interested.
Yes please, I am interested in your pictures

Yes please, I am interested in your pictures
Here it is :)
20200805_195009.jpg

After all the horror stories about bent frunk lids from closing I just never bothered using it for anything- haven't run out of space in the trunk/sub-trunk yet to where it mattered, and it's easier to open and close than the frunk anyway.
Solution: Install Auto Frunk or weaker spring in the latching mechanism; YouTube video out there to show you exact size spring to purchase for a few bucks and how to install it. If you can't find it, reach out and I'll send you a photo of the packaging I bought from Lowes for the spring, installation is a breeze.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Thought I would add my two pennies worth here. I don't care too much about the powerlifting side of things, quicker to just lift a boot or frunk manually plus getting your app out to open a lid is ANNOYING!
I don't ever use the frunk because I don't want to get the app out so I attached a secret button to the frunk opener button (the one inside the lid in case you get trapped). No one would ever find it and it acts just like the rear boot button, plus it only opens if the phone is close by. Add that small washer idea and its great - Sorted!

I rarely used the frunk because of hand prints and the hassle of careful closing until I got the Hansshow power lift. Now I use the frunk all the time for groceries, smelly takeout, and anything that would otherwise go on the floor or the back seat.