Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using ~30 miles per day while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way back, the car would wake and unlock if you got close enough, but they changed that so that you have to touch a door handle.
FWIW: it looks to me like the MCU does indeed come out of suspend and is active and ready as long as the phone is local, which I'm pretty sure indicates that the full high voltage system is operating. The car just doesn't move anything physical or power the display until you get in.

FWIW: it looks to me like the MCU does indeed come out of suspend and is active and ready as long as the phone is local, which I'm pretty sure indicates that the full high voltage system is operating. The car just doesn't move anything physical or power the display until you get in.
So when your car is asleep and you walk up to it with your phone it wakes up without you touching it; you can hear the contactor close?

That does seem to contradict the earlier report. Or does the MCU have nothing to do with the contactor switch?

So when your car is asleep and you walk up to it with your phone it wakes up without you touching it; you can hear the contactor close?

That does seem to contradict the earlier report. Or does the MCU have nothing to do with the contactor switch?
Sort of two different issues: "is the main battery providing power" and "is the car ready" are sort of different states. Closing the switch to engage the batter is like a 1-200ms operation, bringing a PC out of suspend is like 1-2s, and booting one that is powered off is more like 20s. I'm all but certain that the moment the bluetooth proximity trips, the MCU is out of suspend and at the very least able to have the battery on in imperceptible time. Whether the MCU specifically requires more than the 12v battery to operate isn't clear to me.

• Informative
Reactions: brulaz

There is a widget available for the Tesla app. That is the one you want to add to your Home Screen (or the Today view) in a place that you prefer.

Note that if the car is asleep the data is stale. But it will tell you if your car is asleep. It just will not automatically update…you will figure out the behavior…

I have many widgets set up. Just not seeing one for the Tesla app.
It’s an older style widget where you have to swipe right from the Home Screen. I don’t think there’s an iOS 14 style one where you can put it in the Home Screen.

Swipe right from Home Screen.
Scroll to bottom, select Edit.
Scroll to bottom, select Customize.
Scroll down to Tesla, hit “+”.
Move Tesla up or down with bars as desired.
Select Done.

It’s an older style widget where you have to swipe right from the Home Screen. I don’t think there’s an iOS 14 style one where you can put it in the Home Screen.

Swipe right from Home Screen.
Scroll to bottom, select Edit.
Scroll to bottom, select Customize.
Scroll down to Tesla, hit “+”.
Move Tesla up or down with bars as desired.
Select Done.
That worked. Thanks.

That worked. Thanks.
Sorry I wasn’t more clear. I had no idea you could put widgets anywhere else, haha, or that there were now two “tiers” of widgets. Haha. Learn something new every day I guess. Good to know though - this would have confused me at some point I am sure.

Anyway. Now that you have it, be sure not to click on it - it will wake up the car. It just presents the (stale) data on the car status. But, crucially, tells you when the car is asleep without waking it up.

I prefer to use 12V tracking with a 12V Bluetooth monitor since I can see a historical record of sleeping and it is easy to see graphically vs. time. (Though I rarely pay attention these days since it is sleeping fine.) But the widget is useful.

While this makes sense technically, this has not been my experience. My office is less than 10 feet from my Model 3 all day and my car successfully sleeps hours on end. Here's my last 6 days. Green is asleep. Most of the time, it will sleep ~24 hours and them come out for 20 minutes to check in with the mother ship.
View attachment 673566
I even went to the car and stood next to the drivers mirror (where I believe the BT antenna is) and the car was never awoken. I walked around the car less than a foot away with my phone out and display on and the car never awoke. I had to slight press the door handle (a trick I use when plugging/unplugging the wall charger) to get it to wake up (but not unlock). Only when I did that did the car wake.

My guess based on this admittedly limited data is having your phone close to the car does not wake the car.
With my three year old Model 3/12V battery, the car wakes up to top off the battery every 17 to 18 hours and remains awake for exactly two hours in most cases. I suspect this is due to a 12V battery nearing end of life (discharges quicker and takes longer to recharge). When Tesla replaces my defective PDS board, they indicated they would also replace the 12V battery. I suspect my Phantom drain with a new 12V battery will be less than half what it currently is? Maybe the DC-to-DC portion of the PDS board that tops off the 12V battery also is not working as it should? I am currently losing around three miles per day due to phantom drain.

Last edited: