Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a 260kw/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this just crazy? The temp has been cold 2*-10*C (near freezing)

I live in Southern Ontario and am experiencing the same temperatures. I don't have a heavy foot but I do use cabin heating, front and rear defrost (seat heaters too).

For the month of November, I have been averaging 220 Wh/km. Prior to the cold weather I was averaging 160 Wh/km.

One thing that has greatly increased my consumption is the Regen issue the RWD's are having when you put on Winter tires. The Regen is greatly reduced. I hope Tesla fixes this soon and then, we can see how much the weather affects the consumption.

Vin

I live in Southern Ontario and am experiencing the same temperatures. I don't have a heavy foot but I do use cabin heating, front and rear defrost (seat heaters too).

For the month of November, I have been averaging 220 Wh/km. Prior to the cold weather I was averaging 160 Wh/km.

One thing that has greatly increased my consumption is the Regen issue the RWD's are having when you put on Winter tires. The Regen is greatly reduced. I hope Tesla fixes this soon and then, we can see how much the weather affects the consumption.

Vin
Pretty sure that greatly reduced regen with winter tire is intentionally designed that way. Strong regen in snow condition would make your car slip badly.

Pretty sure that greatly reduced regen with winter tire is intentionally designed that way. Strong regen in snow condition would make your car slip badly.

I don't think so. Only the RWD are affected. Those with AWD and Winter tires report no regen change.

I have submitted a ticket to Tesla, along with many others, and received this response:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla. We currently have this concern under investigation and are working on a solution with our engineers. The car is safe to drive in this state and we recommend using low Regen mode for the best consistency until a fix can be rolled out.

We appreciate your patience while we work on the resolution. In future, please feel free to reach out to our 24*7 support team at 877-798-3752."

Vin

The colder temperatures are a triple whammy against EV efficiency:

1. Assuming you set your HVAC to room temperature, your car is burning extra energy to stay warm
  2. The BMS is telling your motors to run inefficiently to generate heat to warm up the battery on the Model 3.
  3. Cold battery pack means you have less regen especially at higher speeds (doesn't matter if you have winter tires or not)

• Informative
Reactions: Trevlan006
Yah, with ice we didn’t know how good we had it, with all the waste heat we were using, but here in Northern California were getting a taste of the other side. Air that you can see, smell. We had a few days that were worse than Beijing for air pollution. Hopefully the fires will be put out soon and the rains will eventually scour the air clean again, but climate change has a large roll in the conditions setting up these horrendous fires anyways. Glad that I’m doing something positive for the planet, now if those slower drivers would learn to move to the right like in Germany...