Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a CAN Sr Roadster to Tesla2 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband and I have just purchased a “new to us” 2010 Roadster Sport (photos attached) so we are excited to join the Roadster community here on TMC. We have been MS owners since Dec 2012.

I have a question about charging the Roadster. We purchased a Henry Sharp CAN Sr adapter for Roadster to Tesla2 plug which is supposed to work with the HPWC, but did not come with any instructions. We have an 80 amp HPWC (MS has dual charger) but the Roadster doesn't charge using the adapter. The adapter works fine with a standard outlet using the Tesla2 cable from our MS and also we used a public J1772 (using the J1772 to Tesla2 adapter that comes with the Model S). Is it possible we are having problems because we have an 80 amp HPWC? Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the CAN Sr adapter and using it with a HPWC? If yes, how many amps was it?

The purchase came with a Roadster wall connector, however we want a charging solution that is flexible and will also work with Model 3 next year. We are currently using a standard 110 outlet, however the one in the garage is not good enough so we have to connect via an extension cord into the house. This is less than ideal so we will call an electrician, but we need to decide what changes we want to make in advance. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_2525.JPG
IMG_1988.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG

Check which firmware version you have installed on the Roadster. There's an update needed to charge off an 80A pilot signal, it's possible you're still on the older version.
It just came back from Tesla service yesterday and they told us it was updated to the latest firmware. The receipt says "Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version 4.6.8" Is this the latest firmware you are referring to? This is what is on the paperwork. If we wanted to check the car -- where would we find the installed firmware version?
Another update, we just drove to the nearest destination charger which had a 40 amp HPWC and we confirmed that were able to charge at 40 amps using the connector. So wondering if we should have the electrician lower our 80 amp unit to 70 amps (same as Roadster wall connector).

I am not sure of the firmware version on the 2.0 but that could be the problem. I had the service center swear I had the latest but I did not. Fortunately Ranger was coming through the area and he updated me and mine works fine on 80 amp chargers. Dropping the HPWC to 70 amps should also work and I doubt you would ever notice the difference in your Model S.

I am not sure of the firmware version on the 2.0 but that could be the problem. I had the service center swear I had the latest but I did not. Fortunately Ranger was coming through the area and he updated me and mine works fine on 80 amp chargers. Dropping the HPWC to 70 amps should also work and I doubt you would ever notice the difference in your Model S.
Thank you very much. Is yours a 2.5?

Viv, I have one of Henry's SR CAN adaptors and it works perfectly with my Roadster 1.5 plugged into my Tesla HPWC. My Roadster charges at 70A using the SR CAN. I have used it at a number of different HPWCs when away from home at 70A without a problem (I also have a Model S with dual chargers and charge at 80A from my HPWC).

Henry is a regular visitor at TMC and I'm sure he will try to help you. His usermane is @hcsharp and you can send him a private message (which is called a "Conversation" on TMC) by clicking on an odd looking icon at the upper right of this page, between the tiny image of your avatar and the bell icon.

I believe that Henry has posted in the past that he has found a few HPWCs that do not work correctly with his adaptor. Yours is a very early version and I suspect that has something to do with it. But I am only guessing. Henry is the expert, please contact him directly.

Almost forgot: congratulations on becoming a Roadster owner! Like you, I bought a Model S first and then later bought my Roadster. They are both awesome cars even though they are very different.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
The firmware version is displayed for a few seconds on the VDS when you turn on the car. Version 4.6.8.40 is the one that enabled charging on an 80A pilot.
so even though the Tesla service paperwork said it had been updated to 4.6.8, when we looked at the display as you suggested, it said 4.6.4 with 33 on the next line. I presume this means it was not updated to the latest firmware. We will contact Tesla. Thank you again for the information, very helpful.

Viv, I have one of Henry's SR CAN adaptors and it works perfectly with my Roadster 1.5 plugged into my Tesla HPWC. My Roadster charges at 70A using the SR CAN. I have used it at a number of different HPWCs when away from home at 70A without a problem (I also have a Model S with dual chargers and charge at 80A from my HPWC).

Henry is a regular visitor at TMC and I'm sure he will try to help you. His usermane is @hcsharp and you can send him a private message (which is called a "Conversation" on TMC) by clicking on an odd looking icon at the upper right of this page, between the tiny image of your avatar and the bell icon.

I believe that Henry has posted in the past that he has found a few HPWCs that do not work correctly with his adaptor. Yours is a very early version and I suspect that has something to do with it. But I am only guessing. Henry is the expert, please contact him directly.

Almost forgot: congratulations on becoming a Roadster owner! Like you, I bought a Model S first and then later bought my Roadster. They are both awesome cars even though they are very different.

Thank you for your welcoming note. Yes, they are very different cars, but both are fun to drive. Our current HPWC is not the original one -- it was replaced in April 2015. We will try the firmware update first and get help from Henry Sharp. It is good to know that others are able to use the 80 amp HPWC with the CAN Sr. connector. So we will wait to call the electrician.

so even though the Tesla service paperwork said it had been updated to 4.6.8, when we looked at the display as you suggested, it said 4.6.4 with 33 on the next line. I presume this means it was not updated to the latest firmware. We will contact Tesla. Thank you again for the information, very helpful.

Yes, 4.6.8.33 is the older version that doesn't support 80A pilot signals. The problem is definirely the old firmware.

so even though the Tesla service paperwork said it had been updated to 4.6.8, when we looked at the display as you suggested, it said 4.6.4 with 33 on the next line. I presume this means it was not updated to the latest firmware
You posted that after I made my post. I think you have indentured the problem. Let us know after your firmware is updated if your HPWC problem is solved.

Reactions: ViviV
Hi ViviV, apparently you haven't received any of my emails in the last 2 days. Version 4.6.8 was released 3 years ago. Since then there has been yet another update a month or two ago. I won't repeat what everyone else has already said, except that you should NOT have to pay to update the firmware unless your car has not had its annual in over 3 years (unlikely). It's included in the cost of the annual. Apparently your service center doesn't know how to install it or check that it's installed. You might have to teach them.:)

And thanks to everybody for answering Viv's questions so well while I was away...

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
Hi ViviV, apparently you haven't received any of my emails in the last 2 days. Version 4.6.8 was released 3 years ago. Since then there has been yet another update a month or two ago. I won't repeat what everyone else has already said, except that you should NOT have to pay to update the firmware unless your car has not had its annual in over 3 years (unlikely). It's included in the cost of the annual. Apparently your service center doesn't know how to install it or check that it's installed. You might have to teach them.:)

And thanks to everybody for answering Viv's questions so well while I was away...
Thank you Henry. We really appreciate your emails and everyone's help on this forum. We learned how to find the firmware version. And we learned that even when Tesla says they updated to latest version they may not have (Maybe the Devon PA store is not used to working with Roadsters?). We will try to resolve it this week urgently since we currently do not have a good alternative charging solution at home. Update to follow later this week, hopefully.

(Maybe the Devon PA store is not used to working with Roadsters?).

Hi ViviV, welcome to the Roadster family.

Fwiw, i've generally had good experiences with the crew at Devon and the predecessor service-only location in Norristown PA since getting my Roadster in early 2012. (And have certainly seen other Roadsters in there for service before :)). So I don't think they're unfamiliar at all, but the thing maybe all of us watch for over time is Tesla's new/expanding staff and declining % of service touches that are for Roadster, really at any service location.

If you need to reach out to someone there on Roadster concerns, talk to Nick T. at the top of service... he's very supportive and predates the Model S.

Hello everyone! I have good news to report. Thank you for all the suggestions. Tesla Devon PA Service Center sent a ranger today to my work parking garage in Philadelphia to update the firmware (no charge). What great service.
IMG_2148.JPG

The newest firmware is 4.7.2 33. I asked why it had failed to get updated during the annual service the previous week and the ranger responded that he had seen the 4.6 when he was doing the service and thought he had seen 4.6.8, but what was actually there was 4.6.4 (it is really small and hard to read in the 10 seconds before it goes away). So he apologized for making a mistake and not updating the firmware because he thought it was already up to date.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Now "Ele" is happily charging in the garage with the 80 amp HPWC using the CAN Sr. adapter. We are very happy. Thank you Henry Sharp--what a great accessory.

IMG_2156.JPG