Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was well known here, but I dont remember anything in the tesla paperwork saying anything other than "cash" or financing through one of the solar loans they offered at the time.

I hope you are right... but dont expect you to be, unfortunately. IF they changed the policy, I dont know if having an order in before the change would matter (although you could likely escalate to a supervisor and state "I made a decision not to finance this due to the ability to pay by credit card, so I really need you to make this happen") and see if they might be able to do something one off...

this is gonna be my play to state I planned on cash vs finance based on using cc come payment time (hopefully soon) ... I’ll post the outcome here ... likely we will hear from a lot more people before then so we shall see

this is gonna be my play to state I planned on cash vs finance based on using cc come payment time (hopefully soon) ... I’ll post the outcome here ... likely we will hear from a lot more people before then so we shall see
Please keep us posted, friend. This is exactly the factor of decision for cash vs. Loan for us as well...

Not sure whether to apply for the loan now or not to keep the process going... It also angers me that our sales guy stopped responding to us... This is my car buying experience with Tesla all over again... :'(

Please keep us posted, friend. This is exactly the factor of decision for cash vs. Loan for us as well...

Not sure whether to apply for the loan now or not to keep the process going... It also angers me that our sales guy stopped responding to us... This is my car buying experience with Tesla all over again... :'(

Not sure when you started asking them, but its entirely possible that these are his days off. Most of them dont work M-F. Anyway, it doesnt matter what he tells you right now though, as I mentioned earlier. It matters whats in place when you go to pay, whenever that is.

Tesla changes course on stuff all the time, so you are really better off "just waiting", till its time for you to pay.

Reactions: Fragger
Not sure when you started asking them, but its entirely possible that these are his days off. Most of them dont work M-F. Anyway, it doesnt matter what he tells you right now though, as I mentioned earlier. It matters whats in place when you go to pay, whenever that is.

Tesla changes course on stuff all the time, so you are really better off "just waiting", till its time for you to pay.
Thank you for your advice as well! Hopefully they change it in our favor...

Reactions: jjrandorin
Payment is normally due a few days after final inspection (but before PTO) from what i have read here

We got billed a few minutes after passing the final inspection. We paid immediately and only after we paid did Tesla send the application for PTO. Within one hour of paying, we had a message from the power company letting us know they were processing our PTO application.

Does Tesla account take CC? We use PayPal account and CC.

Our inspection is next week so haven’t had any instructions yet on the final payment method. Our initial half in August was paid via phone by cc. I’m guessing it’s easier to track payments if they come in by one or two methods. As for your Tesla Account you can add a cc there so no different than before except for the PP I guess. With car purchases it was check, ACH, loans from what I remember. Do let your cc company know ahead of time about the size of the payment you plan to make.

When I used Plaid, I clicked the payment link on Tesla's website, a pop-up style window opened, logged into my bank, submitted the payment. That was it. Tesla website indicated "submitted" status for eight days and now it says "successful".

You're right... Was just wondering if this servicer allowed it by any chance...

Tesla doesnt have a specific "loan servicer"... tesla just sends you out to one of their loan partners that does solar loans. The entire thing is handled by that company, so they are not only "servicing" the loan but "making" the loan.

Tesla has no part in it other than basically forwarding you to one of those companies, and getting paid directly from said company. Tesla used to have a couple different companies they used for that, but they were no more or less competitive than any other company providing solar loans you could get outside of tesla forwarding you to someone.

I believe that Tesla uses sunlight financial and mosaic. My loan wound up with mosaic and I can tell you that they definitely do not accept credit card payments. I don’t know if sunlight financial would accept credit cards for payments, but I doubt they would. I also don’t think you have any choice in who Tesla sends your loan to.

I believe that Tesla uses sunlight financial and mosaic. My loan wound up with mosaic and I can tell you that they definitely do not accept credit card payments. I don’t know if sunlight financial would accept credit cards for payments, but I doubt they would. I also don’t think you have any choice in who Tesla sends your loan to.

That’s a big negative on Sunlight accepting CC payments. I tried to set up my autopay with a CC to get the points, but no dice. Not surprising, but figured I’d try.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin