Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, question for you with your successful payments...

When we were told earlier that CC payments not working anymore, we switched to financing to move the project along. Now that seems like the CC payments are back on, does anyone know the correct steps and order to switch back to Cash, getting invoiced and paying via CC?

Please share... Thank you.

Guys, question for you with your successful payments...

When we were told earlier that CC payments not working anymore, we switched to financing to move the project along. Now that seems like the CC payments are back on, does anyone know the correct steps and order to switch back to Cash, getting invoiced and paying via CC?

Please share... Thank you.

Unfortunately I don’t think that credit card payments are really back. Someone posted a while ago that if you placed your order before a certain date (9/15 stands out in my head, but I could be mistaken about that) then you can ask to pay by credit card, but for orders placed after that date then credit card is not an option. I believe that everyone who is paying with a credit card now are people who’s orders were placed before the cutoff date.

You could certainly reach out to your advisor to ask about the option to pay with credit card or how to switch your order from financing to cash. They would be the one to talk to about that.

Unfortunately I don’t think that credit card payments are really back. Someone posted a while ago that if you placed your order before a certain date (9/15 stands out in my head, but I could be mistaken about that) then you can ask to pay by credit card, but for orders placed after that date then credit card is not an option. I believe that everyone who is paying with a credit card now are people who’s orders were placed before the cutoff date.

You could certainly reach out to your advisor to ask about the option to pay with credit card or how to switch your order from financing to cash. They would be the one to talk to about that.
Fair enough Brett, thanks. I know the very original cut off was 7/15... Is there a new one people are reporting lately? 9/15 you said? In the latter case, I'd make the cut... My sales guy told us Credit Cards were good... Thanks for your help...

Fair enough Brett, thanks. I know the very original cut off was 7/15... Is there a new one people are reporting lately? 9/15 you said? In the latter case, I'd make the cut... My sales guy told us Credit Cards were good... Thanks for your help...

Like I said, don’t quote me on that. I was probably just remembering wrong. My system is already installed and paid for, so I haven’t really had much interest in credit card payments. But if you were told by sales that you could do it then it seems like you’d have a good argument to have them allow it.

Reactions: Fragger
Like I said, don’t quote me on that. I was probably just remembering wrong. My system is already installed and paid for, so I haven’t really had much interest in credit card payments. But if you were told by sales that you could do it then it seems like you’d have a good argument to have them allow it.

Well try man... I'm just trying to figure out the exact order on how to get through the payments... Since I also applied for the loan...

Just thought I'd add my experience here for the group:
I ordered a 8.16kW system, with 2x powerwalls, on 2SEP2020. I live in the SF bay area in CA.
My final invoice was delivered last night.
I logged on and found the ACH-only (plaid - ironic) option only.
I emailed my solar adviser asking if I could pay by CC.
Checked here and on Reddit and found some people were able to still pay with CC by calling in.
Solar adviser emailed back saying they no longer accept CC payments; I replied that this was disappointing and misleading (no communication of the change in policy).
This morning I called the number listed in this thread. Got an agent who seemed willing to help, but was having computer issues. She said she'd call me back after a reboot of her computer.
She called back, but couldn't hear me, and hung up. I called the number again, but got someone else, this guy said if my only option shown in my account was online payment, then I could only pay with ACH. I told him I was very unhappy about that and hung up.
A few minutes later the original agent called back, and processed my payment with my CC no problem, no questions. I didn't ask about service fees, but there weren't any.
I did not get the impression that the two communicated. I think the first agent just called back because she said she would, and that she intended to process it all along, and the other one wouldn't.
I now have a pending charge on my Amex. Tesla account has not updated yet though. This all happened this morning.

TL/DR: if you really want to use your CC, keep trying. I also indicated to the first agent that when I placed the order back in Sept, I was under the impression that I could pay with CC. In the end, it worked out.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I received my Invoice for my 2 Powerwalls at the first of this week. I called yesterday and was able to pay by Credit Card. My original order was placed on July 2, 2020, Installation was Oct 30. They did come back out the Wed Nov 4 to add a separate Non Backed Up panel instead of leaving those circuits in my original panel. Final Inspection by County was Friday Nov 6. Invoice arrived Monday Nov 9. Paid Nov 12. Funny, I still haven't received the DocuSign paperwork, but system is up and running since day of install and already protected 2 short outages.

Could you let us know when or approximately when you passed the city inspection and got your PTO.
I am trying to establish a baseline on when Tesla invoices for the installation.

thanks

Just thought I'd add my experience here for the group:
I ordered a 8.16kW system, with 2x powerwalls, on 2SEP2020. I live in the SF bay area in CA.
My final invoice was delivered last night.
I logged on and found the ACH-only (plaid - ironic) option only.
I emailed my solar adviser asking if I could pay by CC.
Checked here and on Reddit and found some people were able to still pay with CC by calling in.
Solar adviser emailed back saying they no longer accept CC payments; I replied that this was disappointing and misleading (no communication of the change in policy).
This morning I called the number listed in this thread. Got an agent who seemed willing to help, but was having computer issues. She said she'd call me back after a reboot of her computer.
She called back, but couldn't hear me, and hung up. I called the number again, but got someone else, this guy said if my only option shown in my account was online payment, then I could only pay with ACH. I told him I was very unhappy about that and hung up.
A few minutes later the original agent called back, and processed my payment with my CC no problem, no questions. I didn't ask about service fees, but there weren't any.
I did not get the impression that the two communicated. I think the first agent just called back because she said she would, and that she intended to process it all along, and the other one wouldn't.
I now have a pending charge on my Amex. Tesla account has not updated yet though. This all happened this morning.

TL/DR: if you really want to use your CC, keep trying. I also indicated to the first agent that when I placed the order back in Sept, I was under the impression that I could pay with CC. In the end, it worked out.

Could you let us know when or approximately when you passed the city inspection and got your PTO.
I am trying to establish a baseline on when Tesla invoices for the installation.

thanks
We passed the city inspection on Wednesday of last week, and the Invoice was there the following morning. It was pretty fast. Have not yet received PTO. As I understand it, you must pay your invoice before they ask for PTO. But I have not yet received PTO. Tesla agent said it's coming, but I'll bug him again tomorrow if it doesn't come by then.

EDIT: My account does not show as paid yet. Agent said that may take a while since I called and paid "manually". So that may be part of the delay for PTO too.

I was told by my rep that payment does not gate applying for PTO. Also I paid a month ago and it still doesn’t show I’ve paid.

It took a while for Tesla to apply for PTO in my case due to Tesla needing some additional paperwork for my town inspector before they gave approval. Then it took 10 more days for Tesla to request PTO. They said they were backed up doing paperwork filings to utilities. I asked them to notify me when they filed with the utility, which they did. I am now finally just waiting for the utility.

Adding my experience as well. Ordered a PV only system on ~ 9/8. Sales person said, we could do CC payments. When we engaged with our advisor, he told us CC payments are no longer possible. Even called the billing number here back in early October, heard the same thing. CC not possible. Tesla account showed Plaid only. Went through the loan process, approved, got scheduled for install on 11/6. Survey done 11/7. Utility and city inspection done 11/10. Signed Tariff Agreement 11/11. Called the billing people, got the agent to pay by CC this time. Made one early the week of 11/9, then second payment later in the week like 11/14 or so. Both payments seem to be cleared, rewards earned at 4%. Interconnection Agreement received and signed today. Tesla account still says pay the bill. I think any day now is the PTO email expected...

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks everyone here!

We passed the city inspection on Wednesday of last week, and the Invoice was there the following morning. It was pretty fast. Have not yet received PTO. As I understand it, you must pay your invoice before they ask for PTO. But I have not yet received PTO. Tesla agent said it's coming, but I'll bug him again tomorrow if it doesn't come by then.

EDIT: My account does not show as paid yet. Agent said that may take a while since I called and paid "manually". So that may be part of the delay for PTO too.

thanks for the info. I found Tesla’s process very inconsistent. Good to know the baseline so that I can help facilitate on my end.

Adding my experience as well. Ordered a PV only system on ~ 9/8. Sales person said, we could do CC payments. When we engaged with our advisor, he told us CC payments are no longer possible. Even called the billing number here back in early October, heard the same thing. CC not possible. Tesla account showed Plaid only. Went through the loan process, approved, got scheduled for install on 11/6. Survey done 11/7. Utility and city inspection done 11/10. Signed Tariff Agreement 11/11. Called the billing people, got the agent to pay by CC this time. Made one early the week of 11/9, then second payment later in the week like 11/14 or so. Both payments seem to be cleared, rewards earned at 4%. Interconnection Agreement received and signed today. Tesla account still says pay the bill. I think any day now is the PTO email expected...

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks everyone here!
Building on this experience... Got our PTO yesterday...

In other news though, Tesla screwed us and didn't install the PowerBlaster even though our advisor assured us they will... Fighting the good fight now...