Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What credit cards are people using to maximize their rewards?
Currently my CC offers 1% cash back which seems to be the norm.
Looking for anything with double cash back and/or a signup bonus.

If you have an account with Alliant Credit Union and have their Signature Visa, they give you 3% cashback the first year and 2.5% after that (on every purchase, not special categories).

I applied for and opened a BofA cash rewards visa signature card and a chase freedom unlimited visa just to pay for the Tesla purchase. BofA netted me $330 initially then $380 when politely asked if Tesla Solar counted toward my chosen home improvement category for this qtr. Chase netted me $305. One is 12 months, other 15 months intro zero APR

Last edited:
I applied for and opened a BofA cash rewards visa signature card and a chase freedom unlimited visa just to pay for the Tesla purchase. BofA netted me $330 initially then $380 when politely asked if Tesla Solar counted toward my chosen home improvement category for this qtr. Chase netted me $305. One is 12 months, other 15 months intro zero APR
Hi, currently in the installation process of the solar roof. You mentioned the BofA cash rewards card, which category netted you $330 initially, the was it online shopping? My card is on that and looks like I have to change it to home improvement. I’d like to maximize that 3% benefit.

Last edited:
Hi, currently in the installation process of the solar roof. You mentioned the BofA cash rewards card, which category netted you $330 initially, the was it online shopping? My card is on that and looks like I have to change it to home improvement. I’d like to maximize that 3% benefit.
it was a new card for me so had a $200 bonus when spend certain amount during first 3 months (i believe) .. and then initially 1% on total then got them to make that 3% on 1st $2500 as a home improvement category

Alright thanks! Seems that Tesla Solar is under the Home Improvement category then.
Well yes .. but in case my post was not clear Tesla charge did not initially count as 3% home improvement .. went as just all regular 1% .. I called and explained “ Teslamotors “ charge was for solar panels and politely asked if counted as home improvement .. person I spoke to said they would review it ( I honestly thought the way charge was posted as “Teslamotors” I would not be successful ) and few days later had extra ~ $50 ... so YMMV .. I would not have pushed it for $50 / not trying to be greedy but figured worth a single 10min call

Well yes .. but in case my post was not clear Tesla charge did not initially count as 3% home improvement .. went as just all regular 1% .. I called and explained “ Teslamotors “ charge was for solar panels and politely asked if counted as home improvement .. person I spoke to said they would review it ( I honestly thought the way charge was posted as “Teslamotors” I would not be successful ) and few days later had extra ~ $50 ... so YMMV .. I would not have pushed it for $50 / not trying to be greedy but figured worth a single 10min call

I see, appreciate the clarification I was actually about to ask what the name of the posted charge was. But hey, $50 is $50 and most definitely worth the 10min call. I just wanted to make sure since I plan to put half of the roof on it instead of paying Tesla directly without any incentive.

The answer used to be a definite yes, as Tesla issued Paypal invoices and accepted all forms of payment, with no fees. Some users more recently have reported receiving invoices via Plaid, which apparently will only accept a bank account. However, reports were also that if you called Tesla directly, you could still pay with a CC, again with no fees. So hopefully it is still the case, though it is a bit concerning that the advisors are not consistent in what they are telling you.

I paid using CC calling in.

If you try paying online only option is Plaid I think .

UPDATE paid with 2 credit cards I just opened that I'd never even consider opening normally because of the high annual fees and spending requirement to get the reward (e.g. Capital one requires spending $20k in the first year to get 100k points). Basically saved another $2k+ on the panels. Tesla agent put my request through right away. I asked what the chance of approval was and he said 99.9% of people who ask to pay with CC get their request granted by the supervisor. The charges went through immediately and are reflected on my CC statements already as at least pending. Hopefully, I get PTO in the next couple days. He did say that the payments wouldn't be reflected on the Tesla website for another 1-2 weeks. Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the useful info and stories.

I also used Capital One Venture to pay - will get 100K points as this is a new account.

Just paid 50% of invoice as waiting for them to replace my damaged panels (deep scratches on install) and PowerBlaster (was on pull sheet with installers but they were out if stock).

Process took 20 mins on the phone as they needed some approvals.

Reactions: Electrph
Do you know if/when it works approximate time to get $ if self referred some time after paying invoice or PTO ?
They mentioned 10 weeks from PTO. Its almost ten weeks for me but nothing yet :). It infact still asks me to the pay the final amount when I login to my Tesla account. Surprised to see that it takes such a long time to sync after payment. I paid through CC .

• Informative
They mentioned 10 weeks from PTO. Its almost ten weeks for me but nothing yet :). It infact still asks me to the pay the final amount when I login to my Tesla account. Surprised to see that it takes such a long time to sync after payment. I paid through CC .
i wonder among those who called and paid over phone with cc / needing supervisor approval etc .. if tesla account ever shows paid online... or will the make final payment button always show ? :p

i wonder among those who called and paid over phone with cc / needing supervisor approval etc .. if tesla account ever shows paid online... or will the make final payment button always show ? :p
That might be true.. they don't even acknowledge that its a problem. Don't know if referral is dependent on that or not. Did anyone who referred themselves and paid by CC got referral bonus ?

Taking 2 months to clear the account? That is kinda strange as it is going through PayPal, if you use PayPal you know your funding source could be credit card or it could be your checking account, the party getting paid would not know the difference and they simply get paid. The Billing Department is mainly set up for credit card payment as the first thing they ask is your card number. Strangely the wait time recording is still Solar City and the PayPal account is still Solar City. Tesla could have saved some money by giving cash discount directly to customers instead of using Plaid or PayPal, guess they are too busy to think about that.