Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla just this Friday and confirmed they will take a CC as payment. There is no additional fee and they understand you may need to make multiple payments. I took the opportunity to change my card to a higher rewards card and will start my payments Monday. To do this you have to call the billing department... 877-973-7652. Also I confirmed their interest rate if you do the loan is 3.99% so no more deals on low interest rates.

Reactions: no2gates
I paid by credit card. As a consequence, my account was stuck in limbo where the billing department knew that the balance had been paid but because I didn't go through the automated payment system my account page still showed the payment step as pending. Critically the account did not get marked with approval for the department that handles utility interconnection requests to proceed. This was stuck for some weeks until I called and got a case created to resolve missing approval.

So I just finished my Tesla Energy product installation and I did the financing option, unfortunately Tesla Financing refused to accept credit cards for the down-payment and said Bank payment is the only acceptable form of payment.

The number posted previously is for Tesla CASH payments only and not the loan department which is a separate number entirely.

So I just finished my Tesla Energy product installation and I did the financing option, unfortunately Tesla Financing refused to accept credit cards for the down-payment and said Bank payment is the only acceptable form of payment.
Right, I've read that in other posts here. My credit card payment that was accepted was for the total invoice.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I called Tesla just this Friday and confirmed they will take a CC as payment. There is no additional fee and they understand you may need to make multiple payments. I took the opportunity to change my card to a higher rewards card and will start my payments Monday. To do this you have to call the billing department... 877-973-7652. Also I confirmed their interest rate if you do the loan is 3.99% so no more deals on low interest rates.
I finished paying by CC, took three payments. After the last payment I asked the Finance person when my account will show Paid in Full. She said she'll issue me an invoice, but connected me to a PA. The PA said he was aware that CC payments take longer to make it through their system, but that would not impact my PTO. He reviewed my account and closed out actions that I could not see that were from a long time ago and were still open. My next step is the utility inspection (commissioning) which would then result in PTO. He told me that was in work. We have so little insight into all these steps, so it is hard to say if paying by CC will slow down PTO compared to paying by ACH. But I saved over $1K paying by CC so I'll take the risk on the PTO being delayed.

Glad I found this thread! We just has 9.2kw solar+2x(referral)PW installed and got the final bill. I was just about to pay with a bank account and thought to check if we can pay by CC. I'm currently getting 2.625% back on my BoA card, so that's about a $400 bonus! Plus I self-referred back in 2020, so that's another $400 referral bonus.

Reactions: Blurrryvision
Like others have said, if you pay by CC it takes forever for your on-line account to show that you paid. I've been paid off for almost a month and it still shows my bill in my account. I did get a 'paid in full' receipt for my payments and they are not contacting me for being late or sending me to collections. In my account they can see it shows me paid, it just doesn't show on the website. They know it is a problem but maybe not a high priority to fix. I asked my PA about it and he says it will not hold up PTO. My PTO is with the Interconnection team.

I don't know the detail in the steps, but the day after I paid in full I got this message from my power utility:

UI received the electrical inspector release for the proposed interconnecting generator.
Meter Services will be notified so that the new net meter can be installed. Once the new meter is installed, we will provide next steps for the inspection phase of the interconnection process.

Maybe that would have happened anyway?

Glad I found this thread! We just has 9.2kw solar+2x(referral)PW installed and got the final bill. I was just about to pay with a bank account and thought to check if we can pay by CC. I'm currently getting 2.625% back on my BoA card, so that's about a $400 bonus! Plus I self-referred back in 2020, so that's another $400 referral bonus.
What card gives you 2.625% cashback??

I just called 877-973-7652 and was told to transfer to different department 844-837-5285, because of my contract is handled by them. The agent told me I cannot make CC payment and only option is ACH transfer. Is this true? I wonder if it's different Tesla Policy now or hit or miss by agent like somebody else here said. Thank you,