Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh my! I wish I can speed up the payments. They sent me an invoice for $75k to put on a credit card! I had to call them and ask for split payment, but since I DO want to get the rewards via credit card, I asked them to split the payments into multiple portions close to my credit card limit (about 20k). With citi double cash, I get 2% cash back, thats $1500 just in cash back. The problem is I have to pay $20k, wait for the charge on the card to post (from pending), before I can pay it off, then pay the next $20k, etc.

And if its true that I they won't even submit my PTO paper work until I have paid in full, then I'm basically delaying myself by at almost 2 weeks. But the $1500 cash back is worth it!

Oh my! I wish I can speed up the payments. They sent me an invoice for $75k to put on a credit card! I had to call them and ask for split payment, but since I DO want to get the rewards via credit card, I asked them to split the payments into multiple portions close to my credit card limit (about 20k). With citi double cash, I get 2% cash back, thats $1500 just in cash back. The problem is I have to pay $20k, wait for the charge on the card to post (from pending), before I can pay it off, then pay the next $20k, etc.

And if its true that I they won't even submit my PTO paper work until I have paid in full, then I'm basically delaying myself by at almost 2 weeks. But the $1500 cash back is worth it!
I have the Citi doublecash card as well. Remember you can ask for a credit limit increase every 6 months without a hard credit pull. I think I'm up to a $50k limit with them now.

Just a note to others in the same boat, as others above have also experienced.

I paid my solar bill IN-FULL with a credit card over the phone two months ago. But my account STILL says "add bank account and pay final bill". The deposit, state credits, and final payment are all listed on the account, and the balance is $0, but it takes a human to go in an fudge it so the account is marked as "paid". I'm STILL WAITING FOR BILLING TO do that. They tell me that the PTO isn't being held up, as we do have a utility inspection set up for next week.

Hopefully they'll figure it out by then, but if you pay by credit card, be sure to contact them to make sure the payment is credited and your account marked as paid in full. If you don't, it will sit there forever paid down, but not actually paid off.

What is the best credit card to pay off your solar panels? Is there anything with more than 2%? I'm going to have to pay mine off soon.

You can do better than 2%, but that's about average for the best rate without having to do too much work. I get 2.625% on my BoA card (and 3.5% for dining and travle) only because I'm a Preferred Rewards customer and get a booster.

If you want to apply for a new card, look for one that has a big bonus for spending a few $k in the first three months -- usually a $200 bonus or 50k to 100k points on their card point program which can usually be converted to cash or travel credit. But when getting a new card, realize it will be a small hit on your credit report/credit score for 2 years.

• Informative
Reactions: preilly44
The final payment email I got today just told me to pay on Tesla.com. The only choice there was to pay was using a bank account through Plaid.

I was able to call 877-973-7652 to pay by credit card. There was no extra fee for using a credit card.

View attachment 588821

View attachment 588822
TY, made my first payment yesterday to Tesla energy, and sent same payment to credit card. Still shows pending, wait for this to clear, rinse and repeat.

I went to make my third payment and Tesla’s system kept rejecting my card, culprit was that I was did the same amount three times. So best to do different amounts.
Tesla’s system wouldn’t process the charge to my bank, it just blocked the charge and didn’t give the reason.

I went to make my third payment and Tesla’s system kept rejecting my card, culprit was that I was did the same amount three times. So best to do different amounts.
Tesla’s system wouldn’t process the charge to my bank, it just blocked the charge and didn’t give the reason.
Same. They had to change my last payment to $20,000.01 to get around that, then refund the .01. [shrug]

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
Thanks. I saw this post but its from 2020. Not sure if Tesla has recently stopped taking CC.

• Disagree
Reactions: CrazyRabbit
Also I see you have a solaredge inverter. HOw did you get access to solaredge monitoring?