Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a single USB drive for music and dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just reviewed some TeslaCam footage from my ext4 formatted drive (and yes, it does work) and spotted a fun little Easter Egg: the UID and GID for the video files (the username ID for non-*nix folks) is "1984". It appears that Big Brother is indeed watching you...

Reactions: arg and Roy W.
So I've installed the Taptes hub and bought a new High endurance micro SSD and a usb adaptor. Ive formatted the drive exFAT in one partition and FAT32 in the other, copied my music from my PC and about a quarter of the tracks won't play.." loading error".
Any ideas? I've tried changing some to MP3 but looking at the tracks in detail its not that.. some wma most mp3, some flac will play but there seems no rhyme nor reason as to which will and which won't. Some albums won't play and perhaps I can get 2-3 tracks from another album. To me its baffling and frustrating as some of my best music won't play.

I've partitioned a 128Gb USB drive for one 100Gb partition for the dash cams and 10Gb for music. However I find that about once per minute the music pauses for about 1 second. I'm guessing that is when the dash cam is writing files to the USB drive.
Anyone else found that happen?
Also when you return to the car you have to start the USB music as it does not remember where it was!

I've partitioned a 128Gb USB drive for one 100Gb partition for the dash cams and 10Gb for music. However I find that about once per minute the music pauses for about 1 second. I'm guessing that is when the dash cam is writing files to the USB drive.
Anyone else found that happen?
Also when you return to the car you have to start the USB music as it does not remember where it was!
I’ve been using a 240GB SSD split between dashcam and music for about six months without any problem. However, this last couple of weeks I’ve had both the odd pause in music, and also a warning triangle saying the drive isn’t fast enough, when patently it is.

I suspect they’ve changed something in a recent software update which has caused the problem.

When I get home from holiday I intend to just use the SSD for the dashcam, and set up a separate thumb drive just for music, and see how that fares.

When I get home from holiday I intend to just use the SSD for the dashcam, and set up a separate thumb drive just for music, and see how that fares.

I did that after re-formatting/partitioning mine a few times over the past few months due to video fails. Never did find whether it was the car or the memory.

It is much easier to have just one partition and any cheap memory stick can be used for music.

Reactions: Roy W.
I've had a microSD Class 10 card working fine with two partitions for cam and muisic, but have had two issues. Two USB adapters failed in the same way with little use / no high temps in the car. Also, as I think I noticed others report, every 10 mins or so of playpack I get a second or two silence.

Any one here seen related problems / any comments?

I bought a USB3 hub of of Ebay for £7 and have used the 128Gb for Dashcam and a 32Gb for music. No more pauses every minute. Works well, so far... Though album art is now missing since software upgrade to 44.10.1 !!

I bought a USB3 hub of of Ebay for £7 and have used the 128Gb for Dashcam and a 32Gb for music. No more pauses every minute. Works well, so far... Though album art is now missing since software upgrade to 44.10.1 !!

I was waiting for someone else to post this. I had been using a single C10 MicroSD card in an adapter with two partitions which worked OK most of the time except for odd pauses in music.

Two or three similar adapters failed in quick succession, so I bought a San Disk USB3 adapter and since then no more pauses or failures. Still early days but looking good so far.