Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a supercharger when it's not free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie Supercharging questions.

I'm looking to purchase a car from a private party and drive it home. The car does not have free supercharging. I have a Tesla account (because I was going to buy from them). I've been told it can take days fro Tesla to attach a particular vehicle to your account so I wonder what would happen if I go to a supercharger right after I purchase this vehicle and it's not in my name, and supercharging is not attached to the car.

How do you pay for it? Do you pay as you go with a credit card? Get a monthly bill from Tesla? And how easy is it to use other chargers, like those offered by a city or a workplace, Blink, etc?

Thank you.

Tesla will either bill the original owner if they're still listed on the account or it will queue up and bill you. Regardless, the car will charge.

A lot of public charging infrastructure works pretty well, but expect to jump through some hoops to get accounts going on some of them. Blink has notoriously unreliable charging stations and I would plan to avoid them unless you're in dire need of a charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Rocky_H
I have just been through same experience. The UK DVLA recorded my change of ownership online instantly and issued new documents (V5) within 4 days. I was then shocked to discover from Tesla Service Centre staff that it could take a month for Tesla system to recognise me as owner. I was concerned that in the meantime I might not be able to use Superchargers. This has NOT been a problem as the car has used SupCs in UK and France with no problem even before transfer of ownership updated by Tesla. I have agreed to reimburse previous owner for any charges in the period between me taking possession of car and Tesla transferring car to my name on their system.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden