Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a tire inflator with the cigarette adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anything special about the Tesla tire inflator that makes it worth $80?
Don't know for sure, but from the problems with 3rd party inflators discussed, and the lack of those problems with the Tesla product, I guess that Tesla made sure that it would be compatible with the 12 volt battery in the Tesla. As we do not know exactly what the specs are so you can be sure you get one that does not cause the above described problems, it makes sense to me to get the Tesla product. Damage to the Tesla's 12 volt battery/system could be expensive.

I purchased a tire inflator that plugs in to the cigarette adapter and I'm having problems getting it to work.

The first time I plugged it in the inflator powered on for about 3 seconds and then lost all power. Since then I've tried rebooting the car, sitting in the driver's seat, plugging in an older tire inflator that I know was working fine...nothing.

Did I blow a fuse on the cigarette adapter, and if so, can I reset it?

Keep in mind.... The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 12A continuous draw (16A peak).

I tried my old pump on our other Model 3...3 seconds of power then it dies. So I’ve given up on trying to rely on a pump that draws power from the cigarette adapter. I’ve had the same pump for 20 years and used it in at least six different cars and never had a problem with it. It must be something about the cigarette adapter in the Model 3.

I ended up buying a Ryobi battery powered pump. It works very well and it’s on sale at Home Depot. If you buy the battery starter kit for $99 you get two batteries and a charger, and they give you the tire inflator for free. I feel confident that if I keep both batteries fully charged and store them in the trunk with the inflator that it will be there for me if I need it.

Here’s a link if anyone is interested:

RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Dual Function Inflator/Deflator (Tool Only)-P747 - The Home Depot

It’s nice to be completely cordless, especially when trying to inflate the bicycle tires in the driveway.

The sale ends tomorrow.

Reactions: ZappCatt
I ended up buying a Ryobi battery powered pump. It works very well and it’s on sale at Home Depot. If you buy the battery starter kit for $99 you get two batteries and a charger, and they give you the tire inflator for free. I feel confident that if I keep both batteries fully charged and store them in the trunk with the inflator that it will be there for me if I need it.

I have the previous version of this and I really like it. Battery lasts a long time on a charge and I like just setting the desired PSI and it stops automatically. I spot check the PSI after the auto stop and it's accuracy is spot on..

It's also nice since I have other Ryobi ONE+ tools, batteries and chargers.

In another thread, one poster suggests starting the pump and then attaching it to the tire. Says that keeps it from tripping the breaker.

Here is a pump that is guaranteed not to cause a problem with your electrical system:

GUEST_8e2de80f-6cd3-4129-a11e-45e705e15c2c

Seriously, I keep a bicycle air pump in my trunk and use it routinely to top off the tires when needed.

Excellent tip. I'm going to do the same. Thanks. Turns out it's not that hard to pump up a tire with a bike pump:

Reactions: joebruin77
In another thread, one poster suggests starting the pump and then attaching it to the tire. Says that keeps it from tripping the breaker.

Excellent tip. I'm going to do the same. Thanks. Turns out it's not that hard to pump up a tire with a bike pump:

Before I got the power inflator I pumped up all four tires from 40psi to 45psi with a manual bicycle pump. Man was I tired after that.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC