TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Using AC connector

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by webby87, Jan 7, 2020.

1. webby87

webby87 Member

Hello. i live in an apartment and currently share a wall plug with another tesla. Since the nema 5-15 adaptor that comes with teslas are kinda stiff/not flexible, the adapters get in the way of each other when one is already plugged in. Meaning the other car cant charge on the outlet. I was wondering if this adaptor/connector is ok to use?

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Connector-S515520-012-1-Foot-Adapter/dp/B06XGL2HLL

2. coconutboy84

coconutboy84 Member

If you both charge at the same time. You will need to turn it down to like 6 amps. That will be HORRIBLY slow.

3. njneer

njneer Member

if you are thinking of plugging two teslas in to the same standard 110V dual receptacle outlet you may end up tripping the circuit unless each receptacle is on a different circuit. If each receptacle is on a different circuit then that cord should work fine.

4. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

It is not recommended to share your 120V circuit with other electrical appliances.

That's because the typical 120V home circuit can only hold 15 Amperes, and of that, your Tesla takes 12 Amperes.

Any additional load beyond 12 amperes would be a violation of electrical code and you might have a home fire in your home.

You can prevent fires by making sure all devices add up to 12A and not more as per @coconutboy84 and @njneer.

Tesla does not recommend using an extension due to potential overheating and fire hazards (the more contact points, the more trouble...) but I do see that people still use them at their own risks.

• Like x 1
  5. webby87

webby87 Member

Other assigned spaces are able charge at the same time. They're not all Teslas though. An E Tron shares with a Volt. An I3 shares with another Volt. And another tesla shares with another I3.

6. webby87

webby87 Member

Copy! Thank you for clarifying

7. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

They might “share” the outlet, but they’re definitely not charging at the same time without tripping the breaker.

• Informative x 1