Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using AI to precondition the car - prototype, maybe overkill, but whatever.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that sucked last winter was my kids would come down to my office ahead of needing a ride to various activities and I had forgotten to condition the car...sucked esp. when it's 5F outside and we had to leave immediately and so the car barely getting 1 min of preconditioning. Then I started training the kids to give me a 8-10 mins heads up to remind me to wake up and precondition the car, and if it wasn't plugged in, had to the run to garage and do plug in or estimate range loss preconditioning on battery. Kids proved to be super unreliable...I know first world problems.

So I figured I'd put my cs masters degree skills to some use.

Before scenario -
Unless you leave every day at the same time, you can use scheduled departure, which also cannot be done via the mobile app (why Tesla?) So you must use the mobile app to wake up the car in enough time to warm it up sufficiently, guessing how much time it will take to warm up accounting for outside temp and not garage temp (which in my case can be 40F off sometimes). Then turn climate control on and set the temperature maybe to conserve energy if not plugged in, set the seat heaters based on number of passengers and individual level preference, then remember to turn temps down/off after a few minutes especially if not plugged in. If you don't leave in time, remember to turn off conditioning otherwise get a message at 2 am (reminding you of your stupidity) that conditioning stopped because battery is at 20% (D'oh! and yes it's happened to me once). Conversely, on hot summer days, have preconditioning simply blast the AC in a closed car, without first venting windows to let out 150F air, which would be more efficient and save some battery or maybe conditioning to a nice 75F instead of 60F.

After scenario - Simply telling your voice assistant from your watch to "get the car ready" for x passengers in y amount of time (or at a future clock time). Let the AI decide based on multiple environment conditions, amount of drive time, the car state, and the previous learned actions what is the most efficient thing to do would be. Also, never ever needing to remember to turn off conditioning because it will do for you it based on power source and charge level.

Not sure how much energy is saved long run, but if we can have AI drive our car why can't AI get a car ideally ready using based on learning. Conditions hasn't changed much from ICE to EV, either blast heat at max or blast AC at max, So here is what I built, but first I had to build my own TFi equivalent to gather training data and then my own mobile assistant that could eventually make smart.

I will open source all this once i figure out how to package deployment on google cloud, as I don;t want to deal with getting passwords/tokens or dealing with takedowns.

Never really bothered me enough since a Tesla uses resistive heat which begins making warm air nearly instantly. Traditional ICE cars need 15 minutes to get up to temperature before they even begin making heat. I used to stress about pre-conditioning every time I was getting back in (warm or cold weather) but now I don't really even notice. Especially with heated seats & steering wheel. Sometimes I remember to precondition before leaving, mostly when the wife is going with, otherwise I don't let it bother me. Seems like a pretty small thing in the overall picture & it seems that every time Tesla tries to "fix" something these days they break three things. Features are nice but I'm more interested in stability & reliability these days. That said, I'm all for new features & functionality (even if I personally don't use them) as long as reliability & stability aren't sacrificed.

@Ostrichsak , it's not just about heating the cabin. You're right, heat comes quickly and we have heated seats. It's also about heating the battery, something that takes way more time. When it's cold enough, my car accelerates slower than a Toyota Corolla in winter. I've seen something like 100kW maximum power output in some cases, whereas my max when hot is 330+kW. Clearly I also have no regen in those cases. Maybe you live in an area where it never goes under freezing, and that's great. For others like us, preconditioning the battery makes a huge difference in pleasure and drivability.

@Ostrichsak , it's not just about heating the cabin. You're right, heat comes quickly and we have heated seats. It's also about heating the battery, something that takes way more time. When it's cold enough, my car accelerates slower than a Toyota Corolla in winter. I've seen something like 100kW maximum power output in some cases, whereas my max when hot is 330+kW. Clearly I also have no regen in those cases. Maybe you live in an area where it never goes under freezing, and that's great. For others like us, preconditioning the battery makes a huge difference in pleasure and drivability.
I live in the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains of Northern Colorado. You could say it gets cold.

One thing that sucked last winter was my kids would come down to my office ahead of needing a ride to various activities and I had forgotten to condition the car...sucked esp. when it's 5F outside and we had to leave immediately and so the car barely getting 1 min of preconditioning. Then I started training the kids to give me a 8-10 mins heads up to remind me to wake up and precondition the car, and if it wasn't plugged in, had to the run to garage and do plug in or estimate range loss preconditioning on battery. Kids proved to be super unreliable...I know first world problems.

So I figured I'd put my cs masters degree skills to some use.

Before scenario -
Unless you leave every day at the same time, you can use scheduled departure, which also cannot be done via the mobile app (why Tesla?) So you must use the mobile app to wake up the car in enough time to warm it up sufficiently, guessing how much time it will take to warm up accounting for outside temp and not garage temp (which in my case can be 40F off sometimes). Then turn climate control on and set the temperature maybe to conserve energy if not plugged in, set the seat heaters based on number of passengers and individual level preference, then remember to turn temps down/off after a few minutes especially if not plugged in. If you don't leave in time, remember to turn off conditioning otherwise get a message at 2 am (reminding you of your stupidity) that conditioning stopped because battery is at 20% (D'oh! and yes it's happened to me once). Conversely, on hot summer days, have preconditioning simply blast the AC in a closed car, without first venting windows to let out 150F air, which would be more efficient and save some battery or maybe conditioning to a nice 75F instead of 60F.

After scenario - Simply telling your voice assistant from your watch to "get the car ready" for x passengers in y amount of time (or at a future clock time). Let the AI decide based on multiple environment conditions, amount of drive time, the car state, and the previous learned actions what is the most efficient thing to do would be. Also, never ever needing to remember to turn off conditioning because it will do for you it based on power source and charge level.

Not sure how much energy is saved long run, but if we can have AI drive our car why can't AI get a car ideally ready using based on learning. Conditions hasn't changed much from ICE to EV, either blast heat at max or blast AC at max, So here is what I built, but first I had to build my own TFi equivalent to gather training data and then my own mobile assistant that could eventually make smart.

I will open source all this once i figure out how to package deployment on google cloud, as I don;t want to deal with getting passwords/tokens or dealing with takedowns.
You probably don’t remember the old feature “smart preconditioning”. The car was supposed to learn your behaviors and project when you would need to have to car ready and have it appropriately preconditioned.

It never worked, so it was removed. I’m sure the implementation was terrible and a better implementation might work. But you’re not the first to go down this road.

It depends on the software for sure so there can be changes over time. From memory at -20C (or maybe lower, so a bit under 0F) I had barely 100kW of power initially, and it climbed up slowly as I drove. My battery was between 80-90%SOC so it's not because it was low. Flooring it from a stop light would be quicker than other cars but only the initial start, then it felt very sluggish. Having around 120hp when you're used to ~440hp (AWD+boost model 3) is noticable.