Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using an external SSD for music files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I used to have a external HDD for my music, and it played back very well. Now I decided to maybe improve the loading speeds, to buy an ssd and have it for my music.

I converted the SSD to FAT32 format using a 3rd party tool called Fat32Format. Moved all my music to it and tried playing it in the tesla, they show up on the screen but are unplayable.

Is there anyone who knows how to troubleshoot this?

The external ssd is called: Samsung T3 1 TB

Thank you!

Hello,

I used to have a external HDD for my music, and it played back very well. Now I decided to maybe improve the loading speeds, to buy an ssd and have it for my music.

I converted the SSD to FAT32 format using a 3rd party tool called Fat32Format. Moved all my music to it and tried playing it in the tesla, they show up on the screen but are unplayable.

Is there anyone who knows how to troubleshoot this?

The external ssd is called: Samsung T3 1 TB

Thank you!
Wyatt is the power draw from that device? I use a Samsung 840 with no issues.

I have a PNY Elite 480GB SSD loaded with FLAC files which works fine. I formatted mine Fat32 with the MacOS Disk Utility.

I can't guess why it doesn't work, but I'd start with the 3rd party utility. Assuming you have a Windows or Mac PC, you should be able to format it with the OS utilities, I'm not sure why you'd need a 3rd party app unless you're running Linux or some variant.

The other problem would be if the new drive has has the same name as the old drive. I think the Tesla will try to use a cache if it's the same name. I rename my disk every time I remove it and make any change. I just name it with the date like Tesla0329. It has to rescan, but I pop it in at night and it's ready in the morning. For testing you can put a few files so it will scan fast. But be sure to change the name every time.

Has someone found one that supports webdav or being an ftp server with a wifi? I'd love to be able to copy music to it without taking it out of the car.
So yes, I dabbled with a raspberry pie running Kodi as well as a webdav server and a separate tablet front end. What it comes down to is that The offerings for car friendly display/fonts/themes is basically non existent. Everything is a home media option. And to that you are still running over Bluetooth and I put those projects on hold for the time being.